Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 06:58   #91

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

If you anchor a respectable distance away you won’t even know my generator is running.

But never mind generators and Jetskis, the worst thing is......

Wait for it......

A DRONE!!!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:04   #92

Boat: Discovery 55

We have a heavy duty low speed generator with sound enclosure and water separator muffler and it simply cannot be heard. I cannot hear it myself if it's running and I am on deck.
Paul Reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:23   #93

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Run your genny were you like the 0cean is not owned by anyone and they can grumble all they like . It is not their air. Telling people to go anchor somewere else is the height of snobbery if your running a decent quiet generator .with little noise . Just wave and smile at the miserable gits with sour faces. Honestly get a life.
As for co poisoning this has to be a joke right do people not know that atoms mix. And the big wide open air will dilute any co. To such a small intake it is non worth worrying about unless you are right next to them sucking in the fumes.
People need to respect all on the water and if a genset. Needs to run .its not to Annoy the kings and queens of the Anchorage
Common courtesy works both ways during sleeping time keep it down any other time that is life .
Stare at me all you like with my generator going . What exactly are people going to do call the noise police
I know get a committee and form a vigilante group come over with your dingies and give dogs abuse that's very helpful .
What a bunch of self rightoious gits
The comment above shows you how disgusting and entitled some folks feel about their "right" to defile the environment for others. Perhaps that folks like this are actually out there helps explain why they sometimes get a half inch hole just below the water line. I have been cruising and sailing for 30 years and it seems like this attitude has been growing along with the size and disgustingly obnoxious noise and pollution these folks are bringing to the cruising grounds. If you need all the comforts of your home, why not just stay there?
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:27   #94

Using a quiet Honda 2000 from 10am to say 4pm should not be a problem at all....also, stop saying that CO2 is a problem from a gas genset in an open anchorage, that's just not true.
sailcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:31   #95

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

I have an inboard diesel that is quiet...
I would NEVER run it at night in an anchorage. Anyone that says “I can do whatever I want, it’s a free world, as long as I make me happy” is the type of person that makes the world a miserable place for everyone else. If you have high energy demands, then either improve your battery bank, or reconsider your choice of recreation. Stick to marinas if you need power all night long.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37   #96

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Never had a genset. Have spent nights at anchor breathing others' genset fumes. Not really very considerate, because of the racket, as well as the exhaust smell. Doing your best to anchor further out or off to one side further out definitely will be appreciated by those who don't use them.

Ann
Well, sometimes people anchor behind me and I do run a genset, every night and some mornings. It’s diesel, muffled water cooled. I don’t run it because I want to, I have to.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:44   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
How is running a generator unkind or being inconsiderate?? I should not have to apologize for wanting hot water, and the ability to store food in my fridge, or flush my head, or run a faucet to clean dishes and bath.

Would it be considered inconsiderate (or more accurately intolerant) to force us to sit in the dark wreaking of BO and eating canned food to ensure others get to enjoy their slice of tranquility? OR are we expected to invest large sums of money in water makers, solar and other off-grid technology for the benefit of others?

Your no more entitled to be there than we are. Feel free to find your own corner of paradise, as YOU define it.

For that matter, am I entitled to dinghy over and ask you to stop your kids from screeching as they splash around and enjoy paradise? How about your barking dog? How about your music?
You got to be a Republican, I do believe we are all saying, try to be considerate of the people around you. Especially if it's the norm for quite and tranquility, normally sometime 1900 or later till sun up. What your saying is, I have mine and can do what I want, damn all of you. You ever wonder why some of the people around you in the other boats are watching you up in your rigging trying to find out where that cotter pin and nut come from that you found at your mast base. You never did find where it came from, no doubt from a goody box on one of the others boats.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Well, sometimes people anchor behind me and I do run a genset, every night and some mornings. It’s diesel, muffled water cooled. I don’t run it because I want to, I have to.
But why do you have to? The technology is easily available to set up your electrical system so that it can handle a full night’s electrical load with stored energy. And if the answer is “because I need to run my A/C all night”, then sorry, but you have the wrong recreational activity. Enjoy the convenience of being plugged in at a marina instead, or buy an RV and stay in an RV park. Anchoring is to get away from the noise and busyness of daily life and to actually be IN the NATURAL world, not the “perfectly air conditioned, engines running all night world”.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46   #99

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We have two generators onboard and we run them wherever and whenever we need to. That is usually in the morning to cook and recharge the inverter bank and the same in the evening. However if it is hot and humid we will run the small 12kw unit all night to keep the a/c on. They both have water lift mufflers and the only sound heard outside is the splashing of the cooling water. If the sound of splashing water offends other boaters, perhaps THEY should take up a different pastime.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:57   #100

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
But why do you have to? The technology is easily available to set up your electrical system so that it can handle a full night’s electrical load with stored energy. And if the answer is “because I need to run my A/C all night”, then sorry, but you have the wrong recreational activity. Enjoy the convenience of being plugged in at a marina instead, or buy an RV and stay in an RV park. Anchoring is to get away from the noise and busyness of daily life and to actually be IN the NATURAL world, not the “perfectly air conditioned, engines running all night world”.
I see that you are in British Columbia, what would you know about the heat and humidity of the east coast of America in July and August? When there is no breeze at night to exchange the internal air and there is 6000lbs of 200 degree iron in each engine room radiating heat for hours.

We live aboard 365 days a year and anchor out whenever we are able, this is not an escape from the noise and busyness of daily life for us. It IS our daily life and just as we lived in a heated and cooled home on land, we live in one afloat.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:00   #101

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I see that you are in British Columbia, what would you know about the heat and humidity of the east coast of America in July and August? When there is no breeze at night to exchange the internal air and there is 6000lbs of 200 degree iron in each engine room radiating heat for hours.

We live aboard 365 days a year and anchor out whenever we are able, this is not an escape from the noise and busyness of daily life for us. It IS our daily life and just as we lived in a heated and cooled home on land, we live in one afloat.

I don’t think anyone can argue this.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:03   #102
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

Nobody is going to cut you loose. Someone might complain about the noise but they are people sweltering in their cabins too cheap or poor to use their gen. It’s your choice and you can move your boat away from the a$$hole if they were there first.
Like this website... A$$holes are everywhere and they always argue that they have been living the life for + - 30 years so they know best. Other than your stereo don’t hesitate to use anything and everything your boat is equipped with. You own a yacht not a camping tent. You’re not camping, you are pampering yourself with all the goodness your money can buy. Use it and let the a$$holes tent camp in isolation somewhere else.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:03   #103

Boat: Owned Irwin Citation 34

Back in the late 90s in Book Key Harbor in The Keys we had, for too many months, had an individual [unfortunately anchored near us] who ran his extremely noisy generator, always around sundown when he got back to his vessel from partying at Dockside. For years we had enjoyed sitting in the cockpit and have cocktails while watching the sunset and having to instead, to do so below in our saloon to lessen the obnoxious noise. Needless to say, we were ecstatic when he finally left the harbor.

BTW: We and others addressed the issue with him, but budge, he did not.
MSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:09   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

You’re right, there is no comparison between our weather here and the brutal heat/humidity that you have. I have done a lot of cruising on the Chesapeake, and in the tropics— and I have used my gen & a/c to cool the boat down in the evening... but then it gets shut off overnight.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14   #105

With the right generator, it’s not very noticeable. We have a water cooled diesel in a sound enclosure in a forward locker on a 45ft cat. I’ve gone around the boat with the generator running and it’s really not noticeable beyond around 30-40 yards.

We normally try to anchor away from other people anyway, so most of the time it’s a non-issue. In a tight mooring field like Avalon on Catalina or Nantucket harbor you might be unpopular, but in Nantucket the mega yachts run their generators continuously anyway.

I generally try to be considerate of our neighbors, but if it’s 90F and 95% humidity with no breeze then my genset will likely be in to power the AC.
OspreyPrime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator