Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 13:56   #76

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
Let me tell you a secret. There is a thing called a solar panel. Fantastic technology. Completely silent. No smoke, no fumes.Cost nothing to run, doesn't f#ck up the environment.

Or of course you could just be a dick and run a noisy, smelly poluting gen set and be THAT GUY in the anchorage.

If you think you can't live without air conditioners, electric water heaters, electric cook tops etc etc, then you are probably missing the point of boating.If you need all the creature comforts of home, perhaps you should stay at home and not annoy the rest of us who are just trying to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet.

Just sayin'.....
So what is the environmental cost to mine the rare earths, make the panels and dispose of them after their short service life is over? What about the exploited workers who mine the raw materials? Do you think these panels just magically appear and then disappear? Just sayin’......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:52   #77

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
So what is the environmental cost to mine the rare earths, make the panels and dispose of them after their short service life is over? What about the exploited workers who mine the raw materials? Do you think these panels just magically appear and then disappear? Just sayin’......

I agree totally! For some, it is just so much easier to be loud rather than informed . . .

If I need electrical power, and I have a generator, I will use it, that's what it's there for. However I will be responsible, considering type of generator, how loud it is (probably wouldn't have a loud generator on the boat in the first place), where I'm located, (anchorage, tied up to a dock, etc) and my need for power, as well as respect for others.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 19:33   #78

Boat: Pearson 365

Listening to one in Glouster harbor while trying to sleep right now-it sucks. Anchorage is quiet except for one person who has to have all the comforts of home.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 20:21   #79

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Listening to one in Glouster harbor while trying to sleep right now-it sucks. Anchorage is quiet except for one person who has to have all the comforts of home.
If others comfort makes you this angry, move.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 22:30   #80

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Years ago my neighbor would mow lawn at 7am every Saturday morning. He knew I worked nights and ignored me when I asked if he could wait until 9.
So one morning about 2am I tuned the carbs on my buddies 440 with dual carbs.
The neighbor came screaming out that people were trying to sleep.
I asked if he meant like 7am with a lawnmower?
The next Saturday he mowed at 9.
But hey I was young and just having fun because hey the night air belonged to us all.
I’m sometimes nicer these days.
Old 05-09-2020, 23:02   #81

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Years ago my neighbor would mow lawn at 7am every Saturday morning. He knew I worked nights and ignored me when I asked if he could wait until 9.
So one morning about 2am I tuned the carbs on my buddies 440 with dual carbs.
The neighbor came screaming out that people were trying to sleep.
I asked if he meant like 7am with a lawnmower?
The next Saturday he mowed at 9.
But hey I was young and just having fun because hey the night air belonged to us all.
I’m sometimes nicer these days.
i appreciate that Kamahl may not be that well known outside Aussie, but here this clip is a well known catch phrase. some of the posts here make me ask the question again...

cheers,
Old 06-09-2020, 08:27   #82

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If others comfort makes you this angry, move.
You do realize that this is not the question. The question is, how much do you sacrifice or ignore everyone else's comfort in favour of just your own?

Everyone wants peace and quiet, especially at night when people are trying to sleep. But everyone wants comfort. In the case cited, "The anchorage is quiet except for one person who has to have all the comforts of home."

So, do the wants and needs of one person outweigh everyone else's wants and needs for peace and quiet? I guess in this case you'd say yes. I'd say no. Who is right?

This is the challenge of living together. We all share common space, common community. Many seem to have forgotten this simple fact.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:06   #83

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You do realize that this is not the question. The question is, how much do you sacrifice or ignore everyone else's comfort in favour of just your own?

Everyone wants peace and quiet, especially at night when people are trying to sleep. But everyone wants comfort. In the case cited, "The anchorage is quiet except for one person who has to have all the comforts of home."

So, do the wants and needs of one person outweigh everyone else's wants and needs for peace and quiet? I guess in this case you'd say yes. I'd say no. Who is right?

This is the challenge of living together. We all share common space, common community. Many seem to have forgotten this simple fact.
I don't need genset at night, we have large solar and battery bank.
All I know is that if the noise someone else was making annoyed me that much I would move.
Its the advantage of the lifestyle we choose, not having to put up with shetty neighbours.

Sharing common space?
Yesterday I moved to a deserted bay 1nm away from where we were so I didn't have to.
Have this spot all to ourselves.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:10   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I don't need genset at night, we have large solar and battery bank.
All I know is that if the noise someone else was making annoyed me that much I would move.
Its the advantage of the lifestyle we choose, not having to put up with shetty neighbours.

Sharing common space?
Yesterday I moved to a deserted bay 1nm away from where we were so I didn't have to.
Have this spot all to ourselves.
Sadly, the world is full of (as you put it) shetty neighbours.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:47   #85

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
A term of insult with origins in English denoting an unpleasant, silly, incompetent, annoying, senile, elderly or childish person. As a mild oath it is roughly on a par with prat and marginally less pejorative than berk.

You'll be asking next what a prat or berk is
So....?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:47   #86

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcknight007 View Post
Hello All,
Here's my question? Do use a generator(for ac, charging and everything else) while on the hook? Any complainants? Just wanted to know since I just got my brand new generator. My neighbor(Capt Jack) keeps telling my that in a crowded anchorage there going to cut loose my anchor chain!! Don't want to believe it, but I guess that's why i'm asking all of you out there... Thanks again for your answers...
I lived aboard full time for 15 years, in 20 countries.
Cruisers go cruising for quiet bucolic anchorages in exotic places. Nothing ruins this more than inconsiderate folks that make noise, that can be heard for more than 100' from their boat. This means on deck generators, loud "weed trimmer" wind generators, music, late parties, screaming fights, barking dogs, ANYTHING!

I used solar panels, which had me back to 100% charged by noon. During weeks of overcast skies, I would run the engine, which was very quiet.

Just like folks who raise their engines at a crowded dinghy dock, inconsideration from others can ruin the experience.

Be kind! ��✌��
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55   #87

I have never understood a boater who goes to such extreme lengths to escape the noise and confusion of civilization celebrates his arrival by starting a generator and letting it run for hours to entertain his neighbours.
dalemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55   #88

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Aren't generators a bit like jet skis? How do people feel about them? Even quiet generators set up vibrations that carry through the water a long distance and are noticeable on boats that don't have motors running. Is running a generator like taking your Harley out for a spin? The roads are public, but the noise impacts more people than just the rider. At least the Harley, theoretically, moves along so the noise goes away. Is running a generator like throwing garbage overboard in an anchorage? Or not using your holding tank? Or turning up the stereo to 11? It is fine to think about what one person wants from his sailing experience, but the "me" generation needs to think about the "we", too.
I guess you have never been on a boat with a proper generator. Your comparison to a jetski is ridiculous!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:56   #89

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Re the generator thing...
When we were cruising, we plumbed the diesel genset exhaust thru the main engine muffler, with a check valve to block genset exhaust backflowing into the main engine system. The only external noise was the water drip. Were frequently asked “why is water coming out your exhaust?” No other noise when at anchor. We now use a Honda 2000, which is just about as quiet. We set it on the lazarette, except at docks, where we don’t run it (no need). There is always some breeze to carry exhaust away. And just to be on the safe side, we have CO detectors inside. They’re just too cheap to ignore.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:57   #90

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have an inboard Northern Lights diesel generator and use it at anchor for cooking, cooling, hot water heater, and charging the batteries. If you're talking about a noisy, gasoline type generator that sits out on deck, it can be VERY annoying to nearby boats in the anchorage.

Tags
generator