Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 11:40   #1

Upgrades before vs after

Hey Guys

Thanks to those who publicize their budgets and itemize them. I have some questions.

I am seeing large amounts of cash spent on upgrades rather then maintenance. I was thinking on doing a lot of maintenance early and proactive before we depart for cruising in order to delay any serious maintenance issues.

I.e Running and standing rigging, sails, repowering, new autopilot, bottom paint etc

So going cruising I will take a large pay cut, so I'd rather do as much before hand.. now I know we will never be able to do everything or completely avoid all maintenance.. but what are some upgrades that everyone generally does before or want after, that we may be well served doing? I know everyone is different.. and about us we are semi-minimalist not hardcore but middle of road kind of guys.

We were thinking so far...
-Digesting toilet
-Hydraulic auto-pilot
-Water Maker
-Possibly a laundry washing machine

We already have..
-Shower
-A new windlass
-new electronics, transducers, vhf etc

Now I am just looking at general ideas, or specific ones that you feel helped a lot.. I will be leaving a cash reserve for maintenance, upgrades. But I figure if I postpone my departure with the family say 6 months and drop a lot more cash into the boat.. could make us a lot happier.

The wife and kids appear to love the boat so far, but I like to stack the deck in my favour.

Yes this is my sunday today and just running numbers and looking at trends here and elsewhere.. and the "we need this upgrade" post departure makes me think some things can be done pre departure

RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 14:35   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Upgrades before vs after

Boat should have a dodger, a sun awning, or rain catchment (can be made a 2 in one), and I'd suggest a heater. All this creature comfort means less fatigue.

Think carefully about the washing machine. It will require lots of plumbing, and giving up significant space to it; plus, to be able to use it whenever you want, you'll need a fairly high capacity water maker, which will mean more plumbing, and expense. Most marinas we've visited have a laundry facility. So when you're where there is a hose, there's also a laundry. I think it would be lovely to have laundry capability, but honestly, your kids can learn to wash their clothes in a bucket, just like the grownups do, it is all doable without having your own washing machine. Not that it wouldn't be nice, but best designed in in the original fitout, compared to retro-fitting. Retrofitting will be either expensive (if you have it done), or uncomfortable, through hours and hours of "boat yoga" and groveling, running hose, etc. You need clean water supply for the water maker, and of course, you'll need more electricity, for the WM and the washing machine. Some places you're not supposed to discharge grey water, so you may need holding tank capacity for grey water, too. It is just the kind of project that sounds good when you say it fast, but it's going to mean a whole lot of problems that need reasonable solutions, and it is a road I wouldn't ask my Jim to travel on. Water's heavy, to carry around, and grey water is going to take up space you may need for food staples, or fresh water.

Ann
Old 15-07-2019, 14:47   #3

Re: Upgrades before vs after

Ann, thanks yeah, we keep going back and forth on the laundry machine too. One hand, super nice.. convenient etc.. other hand.. it will mean possibly a back up genny, and beefed up plumbing + water supply... not to mention more stuff to go wrong.

But.. it would be nice lol

We are also replacing our stove in the near future and are looking at those diesel powered units that have the oven, stove and a space heatet all built into one.. i really like the idea.. albeit the wife is more reserved.

We have a soft dodger right now, but expanding it and encapsulating the helm as much as possible is a must do, its on the list now!

Thanks
RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote