Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2022, 09:02   #1

Ummm…. (heat).

For long term liveaboards, or year-on-year cruisers (particularly caribbean): climate change is heating up, eh?

*What adjustments are you making to your time on the water? For salty sailors, have you changed (what months) you cruise? How long you stay out? More marinas & more a/c?

I realize that things aren’t quite the same since “the time of CoVid,” but as a guy about to splash a sailboat, I’m wondering how previously routine sailing/ cruising lives have been altered.

And…. (no): I’ve never even (been) to the caribbeans. Anyone want to invite me!

[emoji1373][emoji41]
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 09:48   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Ummm…. (heat).

The heat itself is not a problem while at anchor in the Caribbean as the tradewinds cool everything down. Only during the summer months does the wind die down and then it can get somewhat uncomfortable at anchor. Marinas get expensive for long-term stays, and in the Caribbean the electricity is usually metered so running A/C can get pricey.

What has changed are the weather patterns. This affects both the hurricane season and passage planning.
Old 23-07-2022, 10:57   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Ummm…. (heat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
For long term liveaboards, or year-on-year cruisers (particularly caribbean): climate change is heating up, eh?

*What adjustments are you making to your time on the water?
None.

Over the last 10+ years of cruising the Caribbean, the climate has varied little and certainly not perceptibly. We wouldn’t know any difference but for the climate science reporting incremental increases.

Obviously, Covid changed entry requirements for a while but that impact is drastically diminished recently and the new normal serves to dissuade only the ‘germaphobes’.

Interestingly, the only significant change I’ve seen is similar to what merchants in the Caribbean report - smaller hoards of cruise ship passengers.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote