Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 01:39   #31

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Um..is this for real??

They shouldn't come with a title,, just a MSO,, manufacture statement of origin card. With that you take the receipt and go get the the title at your title place.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:02   #32

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Um..is this for real?

I've picked the new dunk up today. After inspection and inflation I find no reason to not be satisfied with it for $500.

There is a little chip in the seat but I think that's probably a shipping deal. There doesn't really seem to be any MSO which could be an issue in its registration.

Being that I've never had a new dinghy before I really don't feel 100% sure what all to look for but I feel good about it.

Pictures included of the chip in the seat, the corners at the transom (always a tricky spot on inflatables), and the overall shot.

I suppose I do wonder if the goop in the corner is normal on new dinghies or if that could be a sign of return and repair.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477598420657.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	134063   Click image for larger version

Name:	1477598439534.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	134064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1477598459253.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	134065  
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:02   #33

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Yeti, Mine has that same "goop in the corner". I figure it is just the way it is manufactured.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:33   #34

Boat: Lagoon 42

up to Price: $1,052.55 now

still incredibly cheap for a hypalon 10'2"dinghy (be it with inflatable floor) if you ask me
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:57   #35
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Mine finally showed up. Rather bruised and battered, the box is barely hanging on to the insides.
It sure is amazing how stuff adds up when you buy out of the US though ... by the time I paid Washington sales taxes, freighted it to Victoria, paid Canadian taxes (on the value of the boat PLUS Washington taxes <grrrrr>) and paid the exchange rate for the Can/US dollar, I am looking at $900 from the original price of $505. WHOA !!!!
Now the interesting question is "What the hell made me think I could fold this thing up for under deck storage? ". There is no way that a single person (short of Hulk Hogan or Arnold Swartzenager (sp?)) could pack this thing up and store it below decks even if you had the storage space for it. This thing is BIG even in the factory packaging and we all know how size seems to multiply once you have taken something out of the original packaging.
Having mis-calculated storage and handling issues, I will likely sell the dinghy in the spring.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 13:05   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Mine finally showed up. Rather bruised and battered, the box is barely hanging on to the insides.
It sure is amazing how stuff adds up when you buy out of the US though ... by the time I paid Washington sales taxes, freighted it to Victoria, paid Canadian taxes (on the value of the boat PLUS Washington taxes <grrrrr>) and paid the exchange rate for the Can/US dollar, I am looking at $900 from the original price of $505. WHOA !!!!
Now the interesting question is "What the hell made me think I could fold this thing up for under deck storage? ". There is no way that a single person (short of Hulk Hogan or Arnold Swartzenager (sp?)) could pack this thing up and store it below decks even if you had the storage space for it. This thing is BIG even in the factory packaging and we all know how size seems to multiply once you have taken something out of the original packaging.
Having mis-calculated storage and handling issues, I will likely sell the dinghy in the spring.
What I used to do with my sea eagle SE15 was roll it up to the transom and store it on the fore deck just in front of the mast seemed to work great fror me on my lil ib 24
Old 28-10-2016, 14:14   #37
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
What I used to do with my sea eagle SE15 was roll it up to the transom and store it on the fore deck just in front of the mast seemed to work great fror me on my lil ib 24
That is where I currently store my Walker Bay RIB. Same size but since it is a RIB, I store it inflated. I had not considered the possibility of storing the new dinghy on deck, but deflated. The whole idea was to get the deck clear. Having said that, storing the soft bottom dinghy deflated on deck is a lot less obstruction than a fully inflated RIB
I will need to spend some more brain cycles on that issue

A question for those of you who just unpacked their dinghy .... what all is shipped 'loose' or between the shipping carton and the dinghy itself? The reason I am asking is that since my shipping carton is all ripped, I am concerned if I have everything. When I unloaded the box from the truck, a little gray lever fell out (looks like a wrench to undo the valves). I can see the oars, the pump and the seat as well ..... should I be looking for anything else loose in the box ? I really don't want to set the entire thing up until the spring.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:37   #38

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

The pump gauge is separate too. Look in the box for a 3" x 3" cube of bubble wrap.

Matt
Old 28-10-2016, 16:03   #39
Jd1

Thanks Matt!
Old 28-10-2016, 16:12   #40

On mine the grey handle was in a package that included the manual, warranty info, a couple of patches, and a tube of adhesive.

Also, when I inflated it for the first time it seemed like the keel bladder was not aligned well with the air floor for filling it. The uninflated floor comes up easy though and that little bladder is just held by two loops of fabric and can slide fore/aft as needed to line it up with the space in the airfloor.

Also, I don't believe I received any type of "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin". is anybody else mssing theirs? Should I be going to Amazon or Walker Bay with this issue?
Old 28-10-2016, 17:03   #41
Jd1

Looks like I have everything - pump, gauge, pump hose, valve wrench, manual, a couple of patches in with the manual and a very squished tube of glue. Fortunately the glue did not leak on anything important but really .... would have hurt anything to protect the glue (or all the small bits) in a separate smalll cardboard box? VERY poor packaging IMHO.
Did anybody receive a proper invoice? I have a shipping confirmation and an order confirmation on my computer. There seems to be nothing marked 'invoice' (marked paid) or anything else. If I ever need any warranty work (God forbid), I would not be surprised if they said that I do not have proof of purchase. Is that maybe something I can download from Amazon? So far there doesn't seem to be anything indicating serial number either ... guess I better generate paperwork next time I take it out of the country to cover my butt against being charged taxes for a second time.
Old 28-10-2016, 17:40   #42

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Today, I borrowed an 8 HP Honda outboard and gave it a try. Load was 160 Kg. (2 adults) and the boat planed at about 1/2 throttle (no idea of % power but certainly more that 1/2). The motor weighs 92 pounds and although the boat handled that weight fine, it is too heavy for carrying/handling.

I believe a 6 HP would be ideal. They range about 55 to 60 pounds (4 stroke) and I feel confident that the boat will plane with a 6 Horse engine at medium loads.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 16:27   #43

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

For those who want to track price history of this or any other amazon item.
Walker Bay Odyssey 310AFH Series ORCA CSM Air Boat, 10&#39;2", Arctic Grey (B00WLWON8K) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

Chris
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 18:18   #44

Well the price is now up to $2500.

Apparently some of us did get a $2500 dinghy for $500...
Old 01-11-2016, 18:40   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Well the price is now up to $2500.

Apparently some of us did get a $2500 dinghy for $500...
Boy will you be surprised next April first when the dinghy disappears in a puff of smoke!

Seriously, one does wonder how such things happen... good on all of you for striking whilst the iron was still hot!

Jim