Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 11:53   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Ultraleather, or the real thing?

I used Alcantara, similar to UltraSuede, when I replaced the cushions a decade ago. I can't imagine having anything else. It is very breathable and comfortable to sit on in hot or cold weather. It is not slippery (important for mono-hulls). It is stain-resistant and durable. I bought a light tan color, which is great for brightening the interior but I would go a little darker - with very hard use over a decade it does start to show some light stains and wear.

Automotive leathers are as much plastic as leather. In a car with air conditioning they are OK in hot weather, but without the a/c they are not all that comfortable. And they are slippery. Because of the plastic treatment they are resistant to staining, but can suffer from dye transfer (a BIG problem with my Acura). Given about the same cost I don't see the attraction personally.

Friends had beautiful soft leather cushions made for their boat at the same time I had the Alcantara cushions made. They were very handsome. And they had covers made to protect them while under way. I think that was a very good idea.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19   #17

Boat: Taswell 43

We recovered all our saloon cushions with high-quality upholstery material,,,,,and then had cotton slip covers made to cover the new covers,,,,,,and they still get soiled/dirty. While comfortable enough to sit on, the dirt, sweat, salt, etc,etc,etc that comes with living onboard and cruising-well, just say I would NOT go that way again!!! Sounds like you're on to something!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:45   #18

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmag View Post
i'm going to have my interior cushions covered in the near future. the cost difference between ulthraleather and real leather is not that great so, at the last minute, i am considering that option. is there a case to be made for real vs. imitation, aside from aesthetics? i'm concerned about cleaning/treating the leather and the possibility of mold/mildew. anyone have any experience/opinions that they would care to share?
Our saloon is furnished throughout with genuine leather - all the dining, lounging, and nav desk squabs etc, finished in white. After five years now, it is still looking as good as the day we took delivery. We just wipe over with a damp cloth from time to time.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21   #19

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Ultra or eko leather? Very disappointed , no class, no real smell, easy to pierce with metal parts, okastic colors...

Never again, an expensive learning, and a broken friendship with the maker, whi did tell me "leather".
F#*k.!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 02:58   #20

As an interior designer who has done many boats I would use either a high quality aniline dyed leather or a high quality ultra suede. Ii am assuming this is for inside use? If you use the ultra suede you will want to have it upholstery backed so that it holds its shape better and use an upholsterer who knows marine upholstery. Real leather of quality should be far more expensive then ultra suede (or any faux facsimile) as you are talking hides versus widths and lengths. The seams are where issues can arise as this is where moisture can penetrate and cause smells, damage and mold if the boat is not climate controlled or doesn't have humidity control system. The other thing to pay attention to is the type of foam used and if using real leather having an open weave material as part of the composition so the cushion can breathe. To clean ultra suede I have found baby wipes to be the best solution and compact to store on a boat. Leather requires a great deal more care for it to last a long time including conditioning and UV protection on an annual basis. Also if the seat is in a high sun area it will fade, dry and crack just like our skin!!
sealife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 21:57   #21

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

I purchased a entire roll of ultraleather on Ebay, a cream color for our Endeavour 40, but sadly never got to use it on the boat.
I then made a dog bed out of a piece of it, adhered to high quality marine grade foam and other than the corner chew marks, it still looks great despite 100 lb dogs laying on it for hours at a time, and now over 4-5 years. I too wanted real leather but at the cost of a hide, the waste that occurs, etc, not sure how it could compete with ultraleather. At the time it was 85$ per yard on line, but I got a deal on ebay for $30 per yard I think. I still have that roll, and looking forward to using it someday on my next boat. Great stuff.