Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 15:25   #1

Boat: 52' one-off trawler. 42' workboat
Two boats sunk - Lake Sylvia Fort Lauderdale 16Feb2016

Its been awhile since I have posted, but I'm a constant lurker. I wanted to post the below info because some of you may know those involved as they are liveaboard/cruisers.

We had a significant weather event here in Ft Lauderdale today that resulted in the sinking of two vessels in Lake Sylvia; a 36' trawler, and an approx 42' cat. Both were occupied. No serious injuries occurred.

The 42' cat was owned by a retired Navy Vet (Doug Reaney, 67 - S/V Dream Catcher). He had been living aboard for 11 years, and has been anchored in Lake Silvia for several months. He was aboard when the boat was flipped by the wind and was trapped in the hull for a brief time. He self-rescued just as the FTL FD boat came alongside. He was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

I spoke to a couple who has been living aboard in the lake for some time and they said the wind hit them very fast on the beam and they suffered a knockdown for at least a full minute. No significant flooding or damage, but several items on deck fell overboard. At one point they said their inflatable was thrown over to the leeward side of their boat and was kiting in the air attached only by it's painter. They were visibly shaken, but otherwise unharmed.

The same couple witnessed the trawler get laid over on its rail and downflood. I do not have the name of the trawler, but those on-board safely swam over to another boat after she sank.

At least two other (occupied) sailboats broke anchor.

The incident today was very sobering, as Lake Sylvia is a pretty damn good hurricane hole, but a tornado is another animal. I rode out Irene on the hook up in Snake Cay, just south of Marsh Harbor. I took 140+ winds on the quarter beam for awhile when my 5 point mooring didn't cooperate. My boat has a tower, not a mast, but it in no way came close to laying on the rail. So I can only imagine what happened with the weather today.

The guy from Dream Catcher is said to be seeking assistance from the Red Cross. I left my number with a few boats out there. I live on one boat, and own/operate another as a charter boat. I also have a 17 Whaler. I've met many good friends out in the lake that were either living aboard and/or cruising through. I'm usually out there every weekend at anchor, but I live dockside locally. So if anything is needed, I would be glad to help. PM me for contact info.

I will run out to the lake in my Whaler in the morning to see if I can get any news.

Dave
R/V Daring Game

Confirmed: Two tornadoes cause damage across South Florida - Sun Sentinel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12728918_972437082791343_3178880354911947851_n.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	119139   Click image for larger version

Name:	12728990_972442779457440_139055512698409560_n.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	65.7 KB