Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 23:01   #1

Tracking Travels

Hi there,
We are still in the throes of getting prepared for the big adventure so along with everything else, Im putting togther our family website and thought it'd be fun/useful to have a tracking app/page on it.

Now I see Predict Wind has that option But I dont intend (cant afford) to be running the Pro version and/or the Iridium Go all the time (although definitely for passages).. alot of our travels will be coastal and probably within cell reach.

Soooooo.. what Cell phone apps are out there to send a daily location update to a web page (either my own or one that can be embedded)

Any ideas options welcomed!..
Freedom Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 02:32   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Tracking Travels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Family View Post
Hi there,
We are still in the throes of getting prepared for the big adventure so along with everything else, Im putting togther our family website and thought it'd be fun/useful to have a tracking app/page on it.

Now I see Predict Wind has that option But I dont intend (cant afford) to be running the Pro version and/or the Iridium Go all the time (although definitely for passages).. alot of our travels will be coastal and probably within cell reach.

Soooooo.. what Cell phone apps are out there to send a daily location update to a web page (either my own or one that can be embedded)

Any ideas options welcomed!..[emoji2]
Navionics can record tracks while navigating.
If you have AIS class B transceiver, "Marine Traffic" , "Vessel finder" , "Find ship" may help you out.
For long term tracking try Noforeignland.Com, registration and usage is free, it uses AIS or manual location updates, with a patreon pledge you get automatic satellite tracking via Garmin InReach and / or IridiumGo, friends and family can follow you then without costs anywhere and it has tons of information for free about other cruisers around you, anchorages, places and service reviews, chats and a rudimentary forum.
Old 30-09-2019, 03:31   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Tracking Travels

The iridium as really poor tracking device. It works by sending a txt message soemwhere. More often than not you have pay the website that displays the map or develop your own system. Though following seas is currently free.

The spot and the inreach each have their own websites with trackers, or you can use a third party just like with the iridium. In that sense they are ahead of the iridium.

AIS is actually a very poor tracker. Once away from land stations or ships operating as such you won’t be tracked. And when passing ships that are uploading AIS information via satellite, your friends and family won’t be able to see it unless they subscribe to the paid version of marinetraffic.

If you will be sailing mostly within cell reception areas then you use signalk with signalk cloud to allow people to track you.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 03:33   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

https://farkwar.com/ is an easy way to track your travels. You just send an email with your lat/long. You can embed the map into a blog or website easily.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 03:42   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our inReach (now owned by Garmin) produces a map that shows our track. I’ve just linked to it from our blog/website. You might be able to embed it directly, but I haven’t bothered to figure that out.
Old 30-09-2019, 05:05   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Our inReach (now owned by Garmin) produces a map that shows our track. I’ve just linked to it from our blog/website. You might be able to embed it directly, but I haven’t bothered to figure that out.

You can imbed it directly, to not too bad to do by googling how to embed websites within a blog. Cut and paste really.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 06:25   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We track with Garmin InReach and MarineTraffic.com. You can use the MarineTraffic App "OnCourse" to set your position, destination, whether you are traveling under sail or motor, and other AIS fields from you mobile phone. This is useful where there are no AIS ground stations, but there is mobile service.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote