Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 08:47   #331

Re: Too Late To Start ?

Thanks Pat....Going over 8' 6" or over 5,000 pounds really means adding the cost of another vehicle to the mix. My F-150 with the small Triton V-8 (4x4 and towing package) can pull a little more and even out of the water at most any ramp, it only get 11 mpg, so I'm not hauling a boat to the west coast (or back).

Yes, you're right on the permits, it's state by state, last time I checked 9/10' was not a big deal, during daylight hours only, restricted on some roads, with signage posted (wide load banner).

While I did mention hauling a boat from one area to another, I had that plan before with a 5000 pound boat and it was too much of a hassel and never did it, in reality, forget that.

I live 50 miles from Tablerock Lake, about 80 from Lake of the Ozarks, 50 from Stockton Lake and about 120 to a Mississippi ramp I guess. I'd rather keep the boat at home which means I need to haul it at times.

I could rent a larger truck as needed, but that means a mix of mooring and keeping it at home, probably not a good way to go.

Another option, later on, would be to move closer to the coast!

My location has defined my boating grounds, it also has influenced my doing the Great Loop and rivers as opposed to sailing off to Belieze.

Irish, I think I have tried different hair colors and found no statisical significant difference given the population sampled. I have found that age of the selected subject has the most influence on success.

I have also found that my bar tender seems to have the olny fountain of youth, but it is only temporary and tends to be expensive depending on the degree of yourth one wishes to accomplish. BTW, this approach will also make hair color selections statistically insignificant.

Beyond, I agree that a 34' or 36'er is more livable than a 30'er, generally, I'd probably need to go above 60' to admit I had more room than I needed. While this thread (and other influences) has brought me to my decission of getting out there and going, lightening my load of stuff, it has not convinced me to sell out completely and sink my money in an expensive boat and liveaborad until the end of days. I don't think that's prudent at all for any newbie wanting to head out and liveaboard.

What I see is going small and cheap to accomplish the initial goal and thereby an opportunity to try out the lifestyle. If it is all it's cracked up to be, a bigger boat can be acquired after having more experience in selecting what I'd really want and need. There are concessions and options. The smaller boat might be used initially for my venture and kept for seasonal use, livingaboard as long as I like yet having another retreat. I'd hate to be forced to live anywhere (as I have been) due to circumstances I put myself in, limiting my options.

My decission on a sailboat is strickly an economical one, costing less due to fuel prices and fuel requirements of power crafts. It's not that I wouldn't prefer an Egg Harbor Trawler, it's that I'm not spending 25 or 30K for fuel doing the Great Loop and exploring waterways. I'm not going to spend 100k for that trawler to try it out either, but later on could go there if it that were appropriate for me.

I think I mentioned this before, about 20 years ago or so, I considered doing a non-profit fund raiser thing in a kayak, leaving here on a small lake, ( few hundred feet from my house) hauling out at the dams, into other lakes that go into the White River to the Mississippi and down to the gulf! Doable! Being supplied along the way. ($ contributions for miles accomplsihed) But the non-profit went another direction and didn't do it. So I have had the urge to get out there almost all my life. It doesn't have to be on a 36'er, but now I do have to consider my reality, health and endurance as well as my required comfort demands.

Now, I just need to find the way, the boat and doing so safely.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:41   #332

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Here's a link to one of the videos of a guy that went from Mi. To Florida. Pretty barebones operation but he seems to enjoy it as I would have 25 years ago.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:10   #333

Thanks for the entertainment, but I think I'll pass on that. I hope his dog survives!
Old 24-12-2012, 14:36   #334

Boat: Looking...

All is attitude.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 14:50   #335

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker
Thanks for the entertainment, but I think I'll pass on that. I hope his dog survives!
Hahahahahahahahaha I guess I've become used to the comforts I enjoy on my boat. It wouldn't be near as much fun doing it on a converted pontoon & truth be told he looked a little older than the age of someone who would enjoy a extended camp out on the water. "Misery loves company" the dog probably was the only company he could get.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 20:07   #336

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Here's a link to one of the videos of a guy that went from Mi. To Florida. Pretty barebones operation but he seems to enjoy it as I would have 25 years ago.
That is an inspiring story!

After he traveled from Michigan to the Florida panhandle, he sold that "boat" and bought a horse and cart to finish the trip!

Plus, he had the cajones to do the boat trip only using a DANFORTH anchor!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:39   #337

LOL, a horse, the ultimate ATV!

I'm still being told the kids are moving out and they are looking for a house/duplex!

It would be fun, several have put travel trailers on pontoon boats, a real Tilt'n Hilton!

Well, I'm passing on that 30' Luger, a used trailer could take years to find around here, otherwise a new one needs to be built. Adding it all up, it's more than some nice boats ready to go. By nice, I mean well cared for older boats.

Irish, I killed another thread about taking a motorcycle on a boat, guess I ticked off some with your style of bluntness (LOL). My opinions were really directed at those on another site, not here. In some areas and knowing where to load and unload it would be great, venturing out to unknown areas, it looks like a real PITA! I pedal bike, I use to road race and I've ridden thousands of miles on a bycicle, I'm out of shape for that now, no, that's not really true I guess, I could ride a bit, I'm too lazy.

The hunt is back on, pointers, suggestions....?

Oh, BTW, Happy New Year to all.
Old 04-01-2013, 14:02   #338

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Just tell it like it is Wavewacker.
One of the most practical little bikes used here in the south of Europe is a little 50cc Honda Chappy, big enough to take 2 at a squeeze, and if you can get your hands on a little Aluminium folding boarding ramp it's just the trick. Trouble is as we get older we do get lazy and look for the easy way out, and we need to excercise to live longer. Jogging is hard on joints and (only good if your watching the ladies jog by)..
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:12   #339
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
...............The hunt is back on, pointers, suggestions....? ........

Wavewacker, I revisited your first post,- 'glad to see that you have remained in pursuit throughout all this discussion. My wife and I are just a few years from seventy and we're thinking that at that time we will likely give up the sailboat for something with low vertical clearance; all on one level; with a direct drive single engine diesel. I might not get all I want, but we'll be gunkholing all the new territory up river and under all those fixed bridges that have stopped us since we first started crusiing in our early twenties. My wife is developing some decreased mobility from post-polio syndrome. We always made plans expecting the time when age would drive us off the sailboat and evetually to shore. For us, and maybe the lady you mentioned in post one, it might be best looking for what offers the best mobility on-off and inside the boat.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29   #340

Irish, yes, but if I take a bike, it will need to be for highways and potentially for 2 up, or hauling provisions. As a kid, I used a Benelli 65cc minibike, the handlebars folded in to put in a car trunk. It had larger solid wheels and off road tires, could hit 60/65mph and it looked like a mortocycle, just one soaked in really hot water (LOL). I even rode it in the winter to go to work and one time on a 60 miles trip (almost jarred me to death as a kid as I recall). Little scooters are fine for around town, but I'm not going to be in towns, so if it can work, fine, if not....

Cpt Force, I have thought of that,I saw your other thread and commented about the .....dare I say it.....houseboat

Actually, if I could find a really efficient HB I might go that route, but sorry to say, that means it will stay in the water and live in a marina, something I don't want to do. But for my grand venture for a year of so it could work and then sell it and get a boat to play with.

Before I do that, I'm now down to 26/28' boats turning them into a strawler, motored sailboat.

While my gf says she is ready to get aboard, I know better, she has a hard time getting in the truck, no way would she climb in from shore, she could get in the water and get up the swim ladder......maybe. While I can, I'd rather not! I also see her pretty well planted while underway, something to consider for pottie stops.

Guess I need a pontoon boat that's seaworthy, with a cabin and a mast, the catamarans don't fit the budget for this experiment. LOL
Old 07-01-2013, 17:29   #341

I wouldn't discount a boat like the Holiday Mansion which are made on your side of the pond, there's a guy here has one and with a calm forecast takes it for a blast down to Spain, change the engine for Perkins 6345t it goes like hot snot. If you go too basic and roughy toughy you'll probably find you have no girlfriend. Compromise and do the Great Loop, then you've got a bit of everything thrown in and she will have some comfort= harmony and there's a place for your bike.Fait Accompli ! If you want to trail a boat take a look at the Merc G270, you can 'chip' it and it'll pull a house down and still give you 40 to the gallon.
Old 07-01-2013, 21:54   #342
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
................. you can 'chip' it and it'll pull a house down and still give you 40 to the gallon.
Please translate this into something I might understand. "chip"? ...pull a house down? 40 (what units?) to a gallon
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58   #343

Hey Irish, how'd we get to a G Wagon? Actually, I pulled a house down with my F-150.....lol

So, allow me to ask a stupid question.....why can't a 25hp ob push a 32/36 HB? I've seen several that need engine work....I like the 318 ci in wheeled vehivles, but I fed a V8 in my cuddy, gulp, gulp, gulp!

Okay, a 50hp mecr bigfoot. ?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47   #344

Capt force. Apologies for the earlier scant description. I hope I'm not too boring with the explanation.. In the continual push for ever lower emissions from diesel engines the only way the engineers could meet the EU and some US directives was to use the common rail fuel system, CDI, which is controlled by microchips, the microchips are fed with info by sensors which monitor every aspect of the engines use, acceleration, light load, air humidity and temperature etc. The engine management systems are mass produced to suit sales regions, I.E Europe,US etc. You can buy an easily fitted (2 plugs and a cable tie) replacement microchip, effectively this remaps the engine management system to your own personal requirements and can increase torque by up to 30% or more, giving dramatically improved performance, hence the term 'would pull a house down'. With increased efficiency the engine can also significantly increase it Miles per Gallon (UK) consumption, and, significantly less fuel. The exception being of course if you are tempted, like me, to turn into a recyled teenage boy racer. Having dealt with road going engines the advantages in the marine sector are just the same, in particular with boats needing the high torque to get up on the plane, Ski boats, Motor cruisers etc. For a displacement boat the main advantage is the fuel economy. A by-product of this technology is that the engines are are also very quiet, this is particularly useful on long distance motor cruisers where the noise factor is to be taken into consideration. What's the catch ? Electonics in a salt water/damp environment will definitely work, but, indefinitely, so extra special waterproofing of engine managements systems needs to be taken.
I hope this explains fully your question, if you are unsure of any aspect please post and I will clarify it for you pdq.
I hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38   #345

Kinda what I thought, the "overland" and "Expedition" vehicle guys use the term, chip it, to modify the CDI, I think the exagerate the results too, LOL.

CptForce, if you're looking at HBs, what are your thoughts, the Baracuda?

My issues are efficiency, trailerable and draft, in order of concerns. Lil' hobo is trailerable, most aren't cheap and not much there either, any others you know of?

Maybe Irish could bring a canal boat over here!