Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2012, 04:58   #256
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
........... I'd rather motor more than I sail, but would like to sail.
Seems to work out that way anyway.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:01   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You still hanging around here?you wait much longer and it will be to late ..you want a cat ?look at the CF member grouchyturtles boat,seems to have a nice setup..You had better get going....DVC
I really like the Gemini and drolled over the 30/32' as they really do seem to meet all that I'd want. Enough room, stability, but the prices.....by the time I find a cat it's in need of extensive work and repairs.

And, as I mentioned way up there, I think an outboard would be better for me, I can't overhaul an inboard or diesel and I can just replace a small OB. Unless I'm wrong....?

I'm really not sure what the budget will be as I could sell a property, but those I have could not be replaced, so I may be doing this on the dirt cheap and work on it....don't know. Another reason to stay under 32'.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:35   #258

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I think you are on the right track with the outboard. We have friends that cruise in a cat with twin outboards and are very envious at the ease of which they can work on the engines. They had to sail through the gulf oil spil and pulled both engines to clean em out. If it was our inboard it would of been a real pain.

Keep a sharp eye out, the market is in your favor. Even if the vessel is listed 20,000 over your budget it may not hurt to see if the owner is ready to let her go to someone ready to love and care for the boat. but if you make an offer like that, be sure you are serious and explain the situation. I'll probably get flamed for saying all that, but that is how I've gotten a lot of my boats, just being honest about where I was financially, but again only if I was serious, dead serious about buying that boat.

Cheers, keep the faith.
Mrs. Rain Dog

Cheers,
Mrs. Rain Dog
Old 06-06-2012, 07:33   #259

I turn 65 on Friday 8th June 2012 and my boat is undergoing major refurbishment in UK at present. I'm still working in order to pay for the work and will be moving onboard early next year. Go for it while you still can!
Civrasien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21   #260

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civrasien View Post
I turn 65 on Friday 8th June 2012 and my boat is undergoing major refurbishment in UK at present. I'm still working in order to pay for the work and will be moving onboard early next year. Go for it while you still can!
Welcome to CF.
I hit that big 6 5 6 months after you.
We're boat hunting right now and should be well established by then.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:29   #261

Welcome to CF.

I am going on 55 and I am a noob. My twin brother is a sailor so I got a good teacher. He is a sailboat guy and my wife and I would prefer a trawler and coastal cruising.

Fair winds and calm seas
Kahuna George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18   #262

Ocean Girl (aka Mrs. Rain Dog), yes, I don't think I'll have a problem in the negoiation with an individual, I have found that dealers might just let it sit there. I suspect a boat should sell with a 25% reduction of the asking price, depending on what it is, perhaps half. I have a background in finance and appraisals, so I'll be looking at comprable sales and adjusting for the areas, time on market, etc.

All great comments of encouragement and I am cleaning out the house. I may be leaving the GF with her college age kids as I'm finding that the kids are expecting to stay at home another 4 years and I'm waiting that long.....hope she doesn't read this.....LOL

The boat still needs to be big enough for 2+.....

Appreciate all the feed back guys....
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03   #263

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Keep the faith
Old 20-11-2012, 09:32   #264

Well, I want to thank everyone who has responded so favorably to the reality of age.

Where do old sailors go? In 10 or 15 years I should be done, depending on health and abilities. I'm not going to live forever.

My home, purchased 3 years ago will probably never be paid off. It could be rented to supplement income and pull the equity out in ten years by selling and stay my paid off property. That could take me to the end of days.

The idea is to make some repairs to my paid for property, rent it and use the rents to finance a boat. Sell a vehicle for the down payment.
Seems too, I retired too early, shoulda done this 10 years ago!

What is scary is pulling the trigger and not having options while having tenants. Forced to stay aboard. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Besides having 6, 7 or 8 figures of investments that cruisers are so well known to have, how are you all facing the risks, financial risks, social losses, family ties and health risks? Seems you need an exit strategy, what is it?
Old 20-11-2012, 11:59   #265

Quote:
Well, I want to thank everyone who has responded so favorably to the reality of age.

Where do old sailors go? In 10 or 15 years I should be done, depending on health and abilities. I'm not going to live forever.
Define being done? You mean in a nursing home? Have you seen one of those places? I would rather go out like Slocum than spend my last days there. Ofcourse Im 24 so take it with a grain of young salt
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:26   #266

Boat: Pan Oceanic 38

I agree with everyone else! go for it! just watch the boat size...smaller is generally better than bigger...all of the everyday maintainance costs involved multiply with size. I think there are some nice boats out there in the 32-34foot range.
rpnuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:17   #267

I'm a new member and have a million questions but this answer's one of them. I am 66 years old; was born and raised in the Midwest and don't even like seafood but will have to adapt. I consider Myself to be in good health even tho I've had two heart stints. I never had a heart attach and didn't know I even had a problem but I think living at sea would solve a lot of cholosteral and high blood pressure problems. I also have a medium sized dog (1/2 Choclate Lab and 1/2 Austrailian Sheppard) that is My companion. I am selling out in Nebraska and moving to the Clearwater, Fl. area so will be studying and asking lot's of questions. So far I'm enjoying this forum. Thanks
MANLEYONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:30   #268

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
. . . Seems you need an exit strategy, what is it?
Simple: "DAN TravelAssist arranges emergency medical evacuations for any medical emergency - and provides many more benefits - for you and your immediate family members. . . " and "Repatriation of Remains
If you or a covered family member dies while traveling, DAN TravelAssist will arrange and pay, up to the policy limit, for all costs associated with the return of your remains.
"
See: Divers Alert Network
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 15:53   #269

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

"It's never too late to start again, to try and find a little bliss." Stepenwolf
Old 20-11-2012, 18:31   #270

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

My home, purchased 3 years ago will probably never be paid off. It could be rented to supplement income and pull the equity out in ten years by selling and stay my paid off property. That could take me to the end of days.

The idea is to make some repairs to my paid for property, rent it and use the rents to finance a boat. Sell a vehicle for the down payment.
Seems too, I retired too early, shoulda done this 10 years ago!

What is scary is pulling the trigger and not having options while having tenants. Forced to stay aboard. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Besides having 6, 7 or 8 figures of investments that cruisers are so well known to have, how are you all facing the risks, financial risks, social losses, family ties and health risks? Seems you need an exit strategy, what is it?
I am in the same boat...no pun intended. I just rented my house out (but it is paid off) and live aboard. What a change in lifestyle leaving a 2000 sq.ft. house to a 35 ft. boat. Within a week, the tenants emailed me and wanted a light switch replaced. Should they call an electrician? I asked if the husband could do it...he was not comfortable around electricity. I drove a total of 2 hours and $1.17 for the switch and made him watch. I felt like asking where they were going to live after the year lease was up but they looked pretty sheepish, so I'm sure they sensed my dismay.
Although I am going through a few changes, all is well. I'd rather go through this now in the crappy weather and get the shock over with. When I take off next year, I will be use to the boat.
I had investments but that is all gone without me doing anything. What was a little nest egg is now scrambled eggs. My portfolio is less than 3% of what it was. Maybe I could cash it out for a spare tire.
I figure I have a few options open since the house is paid off but no need to think about it now. Just take life a day at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2hU3Sc6p0ms
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote