Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 06:47   #31

Re: Toilet Paper!

I also use any regular TP designed for septic systems (most brands in the US). It breaks down in a few minutes. Attached is a test of 14 toilet papers from France and the US. The slowest dissolving was 128 minutes.

Please never put a wipe down a toilet ashore or afloat. They don't break down and have become a huge maintenance issue in US municipal sewage treatments plants where they have to be cleaned off screens with garden rakes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...8ef_story.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 9.44.27 AM.png
Views:	352
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	102398  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:12   #32

Boat: Monk 36

When camping as a youngster many years ago I frequently witnessed, in horror, my dad explain to other campers how to wipe your butt with one square.
First, tear a small hole, big enough for your middle finger, out of the center of the piece of TP. Slide the TP over your finger, wipe your butt with the finger. Slide the TP up off your finger, wiping to clean the stuff.
What do you do with the small piece you tore out of the center? Well, clean your fingernail, of course.
He was a great dad, really, and I miss him a lot.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:17   #33

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie View Post
Hello to all---
We don’t flush our toilet paper--- but I am tired of a ‘hanging plastic bag of ‘uglyness’.
I envision this---a circular (closable) door flush with the bathroom wall--easy to reach and dispose of paper.This paper gets put into the plastic bac INSIDE the wall--and is accessable on the other side of the wall (which is a closet).

I would then shield the bag with a frame enclosure- to prevent accidently poking the bag!

Has anyone ever done this?--is a ‘door” available?Heck---is the while system available??

Thanks a lot-----Rick
We just put it in a little flip top trash can which itself has a plastic bag inside.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:24   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

It's "interesting" how many people know the exact number TP sheets to use. What do they do if that "number" doesn't get the job done?
Old 20-05-2015, 07:27   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
When camping as a youngster many years ago I frequently witnessed, in horror, my dad explain to other campers how to wipe your butt with one square.
First, tear a small hole, big enough for your middle finger, out of the center of the piece of TP. Slide the TP over your finger, wipe your butt with the finger. Slide the TP up off your finger, wiping to clean the stuff.
What do you do with the small piece you tore out of the center? Well, clean your fingernail, of course.

Many moons ago, when I was a young Boy Scout, there was an old WW2 vet Assistant Scoutmaster who would tell all the Tenderfoots (new scouts) the same method, when sitting around the campfire. The "YUCK" and "EEEEWWW" expressions were priceless and I am sure very amusing to the older scouts and the other adults there too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:31   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
We flush it. Use the cheapest one ply paper, no more than two sheets at a time. We have a raritan phII. Ten years old and never been clogged. Only part replaced was a piston pump seal. The secret?

PUMP. Pump pump pump pump pump. At least 15 pumps for liquid waste, 30 for solids. More if you have a really long outlet hose. More is better. Maybe thats why the only part we wore out is the pump seal.
Adding water to the bowl ahead of use--especially ahead of solids--reduces the need to pump that much.

Yes, I know that manual toilets aren't designed to bring in water and hold it...but a big cup filled with water from the sink will stay in the bowl till you flush. (It's always amazed me that it never occurs to anybody to do that.)
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:35   #37

Steady Hand - Dad was a WWII vet as well. Wonder if that was part of basic training?
Old 20-05-2015, 07:39   #38

Boat: islandpacket

I keep that big cup to pee in then pour in the sink and rinse. Don't tell the admiral. She's happy about how clean I keep the head.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-05-2015, 07:44   #39

[QUOTE=Badsanta;1829273]I keep that big cup to pee in then pour in the sink and rinse. Don't tell the admiral. She's happy about how clean I keep the head.

You aren't tall enough to pee directly into the sink?
Old 20-05-2015, 07:50   #40

Boat: C&C 38'

I have always poured my liquid waste down the sink. My wife had me saw off the handle off of a big plastic batter bowl and it just fits in the toilet bowl and allows the seat and lid to fold down as normal. We both empty liquid waste down the sink and follow with a fresh water rinse.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:02   #41

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Out of interest, Folie - why don't you flush your TP? Is it an environmental or maintenance issue?
I was wondering that too. I haven't heard of anything so disgusting, outside of third world countries. I certainly couldnt invite guests aboard with an arragement like that.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:03   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Steady Hand - Dad was a WWII vet as well. Wonder if that was part of basic training?
Yes…I suspect it is so, and also for any service or even for any group where "newbies" are introduced to the (privately humorous) "Way Things Are Done."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:14   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

the things people do to avoid putting things through the head are just ........................ well nasty
Old 20-05-2015, 08:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's "interesting" how many people know the exact number TP sheets to use. What do they do if that "number" doesn't get the job done?
Apparently if you only use on TP sheet it is easy to remember.

Quote:

This thread, and the link about Escolar effects, has been both illuminating, and humorous.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:20   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

having just changed out head hosing post someone flushing paper down despite admonishn=ment to not do that, the hanging bag is not enough for some people..
i do no tflush paper down my head, as once someone has done that for 6 months you have papier mache in head hoses. not good. now after changing out hosing, i need to change out my head pump assembly once again. funny how it lasts loonnngg time without incoming folks paying no attention to instructions.
i will be changing my head configuration so toilet is above the water line in future, which to me seems a lot safer than below waterline bowls -- mebbe even create a special place for tp bags, not in way, within reach of head and without any stinky aftereffects.
not flushing paper is a maintenance issue, a spapier mache does not allow for movement of head contents thru hosing.
it clogs hosing nicely.
i prefer to no tuse tp that disintigrates in hands--so i do no tbuy th eexpensiuve crappy tpo, but i use that which is usable in homes for comfort. it is my home, and i do not camp out. no flushing of tp in my head.
macerator to be installed finally when hauled out this year
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil