Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 08:22   #46

Re: Toilet Paper!

Why do you think it is that people who have heads on their boats don't use them & don't allow their guests to either?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:39   #47

Boat: Catalina 30

[QUOTE=dpddj;1829277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I keep that big cup to pee in then pour in the sink and rinse. Don't tell the admiral. She's happy about how clean I keep the head.

You aren't tall enough to pee directly into the sink?
Don't necessarily need height, just length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the things people do to avoid putting things through the head are just ........................ well nasty
seconded
Old 20-05-2015, 09:27   #48

Boat: Monk 36

Actually (and I know I'll be corrected if I am wrong and I'm okay with that) I believe that in the USA waters, it is illegal to use ANY container to dispose of human waste overboard. As I understand it, it's okay to drop it over board as a direct deposit from your body, but if you put it in a coffee can and then dump it, you are in violation of the sanitation regs.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Use single ply Scott and flush via a macerating toilet.
Yep. Never had a problem with my macerator grinding up RV toilet paper, or even cheap toilet paper.

The only problems I ever had were when we would have baby wipes and a can for them, and toilet paper, and someone accident flushing a baby wipe through the macerator (which pretty much hangs it up every time and has to be removed with a special tool I had to make to pull back out with, Yuk).
Old 20-05-2015, 09:51   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Who uses toilet paper?

Twenty years ago when I was staying at the Four Seasons Hotel in Tokyo Japan I was introduced to the Toto Washlet toilet seat. It was, at the time, a very expensive "luxury" toilet seat. Cost was over $1,000 at the time. Now, it is available in different models and the SEAT ALONE (at lower cost) can be installed on a typical home toilet (however, small form marine heads will probably not work or fit).

It is a "watershed" (pun intended) experience to use one for the first time.

Obviously it is not something many people have experienced, but when they do, I suspect they would prefer this over using typical toilet paper. It is THAT different. Hard to describe, but it provides a small concentrated spray or "warm shower" where it is needed after one uses a toilet. No toilet paper is needed. I tested (used) it for a week and found it 100% satisfactory for effectiveness, and I was very skeptical prior to trying it the first time.

If one is into comfort and cleanliness, this is an extraordinary toilet seat.

These are automated "washing" seats that have the following features:

1. Heated seat
2. Warm water sprays up to wash the body parts
3. No need for paper
4. Warm air blow dries the body parts
5. Uses little water

What about marine use on a small boat?
There is also a portable model (hand held) too, that is less costly, battery operated, and intended for travel.
List Price = $161
http://www.totousa.com/travel-washlet®

I have not used this device.

IF you have the ability to be handy with tools and can rig up some power (inverter use) and fresh water access in your head, you might like the following:

There are many different models. Some inexpensive, some more expensive. Different shapes or "form factors" to fit home toilets.

Page describing how a Washlet works with illustrations.
Washlet®: How It Works

List Price = $599
http://www.totousa.com/washlet®-c100-round

A video showing the simple installation (anyone can do it).

Washlet®: How It Works

Limitations?

The Washlet SEAT requires (120v in USA models) power and fresh water.
Yep...... been to Japan and common households have these or similar. They bring the toilet to a whole new level. I'm amazed they aren't common in the USA. A little control panel on the wall gives a warm water spray off etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:01   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Why do you think it is that people who have heads on their boats don't use them & don't allow their guests to either?
Perhaps it is a matter of them not being commodious and accommodating, which is unfortunately all too common.

(Some puns are planned, some just happen.)

I suspect it has more to do with the taboo or avoidance of certain natural noises being heard in the confined spaces of small boats.

----------

Having seen the blockage disaster that "flushable moist towelettes" can cause on small pipes, I would outlaw those on a boat.

-----------

With the increasing popularity of composting heads on small boats, I think the incidence of guests wanting to use the head may decline too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:11   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep...... been to Japan and common households have these or similar. They bring the toilet to a whole new level. I'm amazed they aren't common in the USA. A little control panel on the wall gives a warm water spray off etc.
Like being offered a small hot moist towell to wash one's hands prior to a meal, some cultural differences can be nice, learned, enjoyed, and adopted, if the experience is pleasurable or preferable.

I do think if women in the USA were given the chance to experience the Toto Washlet seat even just once, they would want one.

Advantages: Warm seat, warm water, blow dry with warm air, no mess, improved cleanliness.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:14   #53

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

frequently seen in hotels in the backblocks of Thailand are signs explaining that the pipes are very small so please put paper etc in the waste basket. It occurred to me one day, as I was up to my elbows in **** trying to fix a blocked toilet, that the pipes on the boat toilet are also very small - ergo maybe paper etc shouldnt go down the boat toilet either. Although unappealing, I decided to try putting the paper waste in the the everyday waste basket - to my surprise, there were no issues with unpleasant odours, so I've kept the practise since - havent had a blocked head since either.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:37   #54

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Like being offered a small hot moist towell to wash one's hands prior to a meal,........
I suggested that to the cook.... she had a more anglo-saxon suggestion for me
Old 20-05-2015, 15:47   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

I do think if women in the USA were given the chance to experience the Toto Washlet seat even just once, they would want one.

Advantages: Warm seat, warm water, blow dry with warm air, no mess, improved cleanliness.
would never be able to get people out the head
Old 20-05-2015, 17:07   #56

Boat: islandpacket

It won't work on my 12 volt only system

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-05-2015, 17:31   #57

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

For most of us in your loo at home if you have one you would not bag it by choice surely.
So the only reason I can think off that you would bag it on the boat is if your system ,boat toilet I mean,is not functioning correctly.
Seriously I am not of the few sheets lot probably closer to thirty plus a couple times a day and have never had an issue with a properly functioning head using plenty of water.
Macerators became virtually compulsory here about a decade ago and since then with some minor maintainence have NEVER had an issue.Aus is relatively expensive for boat bits but you can buy a complete 12 volt Jabsco for less than $200 USD why put yourself through that ****.
Getting a good laugh out of this thread
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 18:12   #58

Quote:
Perhaps it is a matter of them not being commodious and accommodating, which is unfortunately all too common.

(Some puns are planned, some just happen.)

I suspect it has more to do with the taboo or avoidance of certain natural noises being heard in the confined spaces of small boats.

----------

Having seen the blockage disaster that "flushable moist towelettes" can cause on small pipes, I would outlaw those on a boat.

-----------

With the increasing popularity of composting heads on small boats, I think the incidence of guests wanting to use the head may decline too.
Thoughtful reply, thanks.

I wonder if they don't let their guests use the "toilets" in their homes, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 02:35   #59

Ah-ha! moment - just realised many here (such as zeehag) mustnt have macerators. I assumed they were pretty much standard gear now. I was seriously scratching my head over the 'TP clogs toilets' thing. Zeehags post flipped the mental light switch.

I bet this same assumption has effected at least one persons argument in the 'holding tank' thread.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 04:40   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I've never managed to block this one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1923527_16156990436_8161_n.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	102456  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil