Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 07:37   #16

Re: Toilet options

If you are set up for household toilets, and that is what you are asking..... I bought a one piece American Standard that was top rated by Consumer Reports a couple years back and not expensive. It's been flawless.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I have an Incinolet. Turns waste into gray ash. Requires a plastic pipe vent. If you run a generator or have a decent inverter, you don't have to worry about no discharge zones, don't need a sewage tank and can use it at the dock. I have one that has been in daily use for 5 years w/o any failure. Mounds of paper or womens' products don't bother it. No replacing macerator pumps, joker valves or repairing waste plumbing.
Any special things involving urine? or just like a normal toilet?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:00   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Someone who wants the best system ?
A 53ft luxury motor cruiser has large holding tanks. A fellow with the financial means to own, maintain and feed a motor yacht this size, would look like a damn fool asking his guests to play around with their feces using a composer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:54   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A 53ft luxury motor cruiser has large holding tanks. A fellow with the financial means to own, maintain and feed a motor yacht this size, would look like a damn fool asking his guests to play around with their feces using a composer.
That's quite the sucker punch Ken. You're saying someone with a 53' yacht isn't smart enough, or wise enough, or ____? to install the best system? Ouch

Actually, wouldn't someone who can afford a "53ft luxury motor cruiser" simply ask his secretary to ask his general marine manager to ask his marine sanitation engineer to solve the problem? Odd to come to a public forum, donchathink?
Old 15-05-2016, 09:20   #20

If you want to stay with a traditional head, I'm a huge fan of the Raritan Elegance. Been using two for five years with no problems. Better than my previous Lavac. Advantages:

Uses very little flush water with the "computer control". Reduces the time between pump-outs a lot. While it's not much water, the flush somehow cleans the bowl well.

The very powerful macerator does its thing before the waste enters the plumbing. I've never had any sort of clog despite guests putting "who knows what" down it. I've been told that it can handle a tampon.

It's been quiet, reliable and requires no more maintenance or cleaning than a home toilet.

Guest find them easy to use and not intimidating. You tap one button to flush. The seat is comfy. At a boat show, the Raritan guys told me that they installed them for a year in the company bathrooms during testing.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:48   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If you want to stay with a traditional head, I'm a huge fan of the Raritan Elegance. Been using two for five years with no problems. Better than my previous Lavac. Advantages:

Uses very little flush water with the "computer control". Reduces the time between pump-outs a lot. While it's not much water, the flush somehow cleans the bowl well.

The very powerful macerator does its thing before the waste enters the plumbing. I've never had any sort of clog despite guests putting "who knows what" down it. I've been told that it can handle a tampon.

It's been quiet, reliable and requires no more maintenance or cleaning than a home toilet.

Guest find them easy to use and not intimidating. You tap one button to flush. The seat is comfy. At a boat show, the Raritan guys told me that they installed them for a year in the company bathrooms during testing.
Nope, the tampon string wraps around the grinder. Ask me how I know this?

Other than the one mishap caused by a guest, the macerating heads are fantastic.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 11:10   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A 53' motor yacht probably could support Incinolet without any problem. And there's a reason the Alaskan fishing fleets love them, their reputation is flawless. Of course, guests may have qualms about doing their business on a crematorium. You know, you're really sure this won't go off now?(G)

With any type of home/land toilet except those wonderful urban flushometers, you're going to have a "tank" of water stored in it all the time. And unless you make that into a custom SEALED and vented tank...and a way to dry the bowl when not in use...slosh slosh, the Persian carpets are going to get wet.

There are some marvelous one-piece stainless toilets used by Airbus, and some one-piece carbon fiber toilets made for the high end marine market in Italy. I'd suggest some deeper digging to find a better toilet that was intended for marine use in the first place, rather than dealing with sloshing water all the time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 01:38   #23

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
just use the galley sink
Just for you:

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil