Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 10:40   #76

Boat: 1988 Bayfield 36 (46 LOA)
Re: Time to Brag on Your #liveaboard hacks

We have this same rule, which I always had for my land kitchen. A gadget must have more than one use or we don't have it! And @Gregor_the_Red is learning to finally put everything away in its "home."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
There should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place. After about a month aboard then seriously evaluate what is stored where. Move stuff to a better storage place. Get rid of stuff that is not needed. The best stuff can serve more than one purpose.
ProteusRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 13:03   #77

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ospho is likely a brand name for ortho phosphoric acid.
I likely didn't spell it correctly
It is phosphoric acid. It works well on light rust but don't expect miracles with heavy rust. Some elbow grease then Ospho works.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 13:36   #78

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We had use and had used many of these "hacks" on previous boats but the best one by far for us was to buy a bigger, more comfortable, but not necessarily more expensive boat.

Almost every "hack" mentioned then became a non issue.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 13:52   #79

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

unless you are a big coffee drinker, the single serving "tea type" bags are worth getting

Or get one of these, Frieling single cup drip. Use your own coffee, no filters to buy. I’d not leave the dock without this.

Name:   IMG_4439.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  11.7 KB
Old 27-07-2018, 17:38   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Or get one of these, Frieling single cup drip. Use your own coffee, no filters to buy. I’d not leave the dock without this.

Attachment 174458

I've mentioned the Smartcafe before in other threads. It's all I use these days.

I'm sitting with one in front of me now.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 19:16   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

tubes of sika flex ,5200 ,polysulfide or pu adhesive sealant that have been opened and partially used ,store in the fridge or freezer,will still be usable months later.

un-used portions of 2 pack paint or varnish that has been mixed ,if kept in the freezer will be still useable the next day.

replace the retaining spring in lipseals on the impellor pump with an o ring of similar size and the lipseal will stay sealed many times longer than the spring which will corrode after about a year

always grease threads on bolts when re-assembling outboards if you ever want to get them apart again.

heating with a blow torch stubborn bolts and nuts then applying a few drops of engine oil and letting cool which sucks in the oil as the metal cools is far safer and more effective than penetrating oil that is a lot more inflamable if used in enclosed spaces.

keep your antifouling rollers and brushes in a bucket of water between coats,a few shakes and they are ready to use again for the next coat.

vinegar and a few drops of cooking oil in the head will keep it sweet and lubricated.

decant rice,flour,pasta ,oats etc into plastic storage containers and add a few bay leaves and it will keep indefinitly without bug infestations.

top up jars of pickles,olives,pesto with olive oil once opened to prevent mould forming.

wrap pots of rice,stews ,curries once they have boiled in a a kitchen towel and a blanket or sleeping bag and they will stay warm and continue cooking for hours afterwards

always use a preventer on the mainsail unless it is fully sheeted in, this prevents wear and potential accidents to any one on deck from the boom.

refrain from using the autopilot for the first 24-48 hours on ocean passages and let new crew hand steer this teaches them to steer by compass,relieves seasickness and gets them into good sleep/ watch routine and may be fortuitious if the autopilot packs up in less then optimal conditions later.

red gel plastic material is useful for covering up lights in the saloon to preserve night vision.

oral rehydration solution, added to a liter of water will keep most sever cases of sea sickness hydrated and provide eletrolytes to keep crew functioning even if unable to consume food.

carry seasickness suppositories and offer to insert them...amazingly very few of my crew ever need them.........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 20:14   #82

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Back to cooking crabs: don't boil them, rather steam them. A couple of inches of water in the bottom of the pot, a grill or something to keep the crabs off the bottom, boil only that small amount of water instead of gallons... way less fuel, nicely cooked crab!

Jim

Tags
liveaboard