Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 15:34   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Time Keeps Slipping Away...

We have 2 monohulls, both Steel. They cost us $147,000 between them. Now Iíve put a lot of effort an money into them but the are both rock solid.

We pay $3,500/year for a $2,000,000 cap medical insurance program. Must stay out of USA 10 months/year.

Yet we met a couple who, it seems, never sailed before selling their business and buying a huge Gunn Boat cat. They spent several times our entire portfolio on just the boat, and he was worried about money.

Itís about where you are and what you do. Anchoring fees are the same no matter the boat.

No, full disclosure, I worked until 65 before taking off. Would have done it earlier if I could have, but some obligations kept me stuck. So far so good.

Also remember this, no matter what you imagine it to be, it wonít. It will be something better or worse, most likely a mix. Be flexible and enjoy life whereís er you are. Itís less about what you are dreaming or doing and more about just being a person who enjoys life, no matter the circumstances.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 16:50   #47

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Just to add two cents regarding chartering, if you are doing so because youíre concerned that you donít have enough experience thereís another option to accelerate the learning curve. Skip the chartering, save the money and once you buy the boat hire a delivery Captain (about $200/day) to start your cruise with you. You can keep them on for a few weeks until youíre comfortable. Itís also an exceptional way to go because you will be learning on your own boat. They will also point out things you should modify/fix before you go. If youíre starting on the east coast USA do a number of overnightís up and down the coast. That will be a real confidence builder and then jump over to the Bahamas where you can spend many months learning your boat and itís intricacies while only making short little jumps. Itís really not until you leave Georgetown that you need to worry about any major passages.

I also think itís imperative that you set a firm date, put it in writing and post it somewhere that you will have to look at it all the time. Youíll get there!
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:23   #48

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

"What's a cleat?" she asked as we slid an old refurbished runabout down the ramp for sea trials. We'd already put a PA on Shangri-La. We just did it. Sold it all. It's just stuff. Being handy helps keep costs down. We're over 2 years into it all in and never looked back. And we're both convinced our health has improved in that time. We're more active and living with a ton less stress and boredom.
Jan now runs the deck like a pro. She can dock the boat and does all the navigation planning. We're a team and like so many other cruisers, a very special kind of team. It's an amazing journey.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 08:35   #49

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Well, read most of this and just had to comment.

My wife and I are 81 and 82. Just sold the sailboat and bought a Trawler because she is really too frail for sailboats now and after 60 years of marriage I just couldnt see going solo. She can sit inside and knit while I take care of the boat. So no mater how old you get,there is always a way.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 08:55   #50
Marine Service Provider

Scarlet,

I am in the same boat as you, so to speak. I have been planning my escape to the high seas for several years now and almost took the leap early this year. I had been looking at catamarans for some time now and about three years ago I bid on one on Ebay that was perfect for my dreams. Unfortunately my bid, though the highest, was not sufficient to purchase the boat. Last winter the same boat came on line, but with no reserve, so I bid again. At the time my oldest son (31 years old) was having difficulties and it just wasn't the right time to take the plunge, so I reluctantly stopped bidding at $100,000. It sold for just $100 more. Two months later I bid on another catamaran and won it for $41,000. Greatly excited I rushed down to give the owner a deposit and see the boat. After seeing the condition of the boat, I asked if I could back out of the deal. There did not appear to be a clear title and the boat evidently was submerged for some time on the starboard side and all the woodwork was rotten out at the base. I was allowed to back out and the seller sold it for a few thousand more a couple of weeks after.

Last month I spotted a catamaran on Craigslist that was perfect and made contact immediately. I was ready to retire and sail away. I made plans to get the funds together and take possession of it that very day, only to find that it was not for real. Heart broken, I am still looking.

My wife is a couple of years younger and doesn't want to retire quite yet. My youngest son and wife are having their second child next week and so the thought of sailing away right now is really far from my wife's mind.

We have a 11 meter S2 which we purchased a few years ago for my son and his wife to live on. Pat, my son, wanted to live like my wife and I did when we started out. We lived on our 32' Mariner Ketch in Boston Harbor (Constitution Marina) and it was the best life style ever. At the time there were over 80 liveaboards there and great friendships developed. Having lived in our house for over 30 years I can honestly say that we don't have friends as close as the ones we had back then. I have been wanting to get back to that lifestyle ever since, and the thought of sailing to and around the Bahamas is constantly on my mind.

If the right boat comes up, I will most likely take the plunge even if my wife is not ready to retire. We have discussed the option of buying a boat and having her come for extended vacations until she is ready to retire. But I am feeling the years pile up and am not sure how long I will be able to continue to sail.

So I know how you feel. I don't want to wait too long and regret missing out on one last great adventure in life.

John
Bahamas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 11:20   #51

Dear scarlet,

Thank you for sharing.

As I read your post, I noticed something. And it hit me in my gut because it sounds familiar.

I noticed your perfection in crafting your sentences. The words you choose. Your paragraphs. The image you project.

And I resonated with the way you focused on your sense of frustration. The clarity in your frustration.

But it all made me smile! How often do I get to experience a fellow perfectionist! We rock!

(Although, I admit, my perfectionism can be paralyzing. It's a good thing my sense of humor balances it...)

From the way your post flows, I get the impression you are knowledgeable and resilient. Let's share an anchorage sometime. I think I would enjoy your company.
LargeMarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:02   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Time Keeps Slipping Away...

I rarely say this, but you need to just go, get a boat, Cat if you think that is what you want, but your paying a lot more for what is popular, but if you want a Cat get one and go.
Note that doesnít mean strike out for the South Pacific or Antarctic. But start out cruising the ICW and as your comfort build start going outside more and more, then an overnight sail or two etc.

No Way living aboard cost as much as living on land, we moved aboard last year and have spent both Hurricane seasons in nicer Marinas, and by the time you back out all those little things like cable TV, internet service, water, garbage and lord knows what all else, a Marina by the month is cheap, expensive by the day, but by the month they are cheap, your electric bill will also be a fraction of what it was in a largish house with pool etc.

Boat we are in was to be our ďstarter boatĒ then one day we thought about how much of a PIA hunting for a newer and larger boat would be to say nothing of the selling and buying process, then another refit, and decided there was nothing wrong with our IP38.

There will always be a better and nicer boat than anything you have, so figure itís not a real Yacht unless it has a helicopter for a dinghy, and Iím sure even then people will turn their noses up cause you only have a four place Helicopter.
Sometimes bigger means more than you can handle too, and more than you need.
It wasnít too long ago it seems that mid 30ís was a good size for a couple, then it went to 40í, now it seems people want 50í to be comfortable.

But you need in my opinion to buy something that you can pay cash for, and get out there and start doing it.

I briefly looked at Chartering but decided against it as it took away from my boat buying money, and I donít understand all these classes. No they donít hurt of course, and if you like to be entertained, go for it, but I doubt how valid they seem to be, it seems from the people that I have met that they didnít learn much from them.
Then how long have these classes existed anyway? What did people do before the classes?

Get a boat, and use your common sense, if your uncomfortable, that is your better sense telling you to back off, listen to it. Wait to dock until early morning at slack tide or late in the day, no need to go in, in a strong cross wind, just wait it out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:17   #53

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
Dear scarlet,

Thank you for sharing.

As I read your post, I noticed something. And it hit me in my gut because it sounds familiar.

I noticed your perfection in crafting your sentences. The words you choose. Your paragraphs. The image you project.

And I resonated with the way you focused on your sense of frustration. The clarity in your frustration.

But it all made me smile! How often do I get to experience a fellow perfectionist! We rock!

(Although, I admit, my perfectionism can be paralyzing. It's a good thing my sense of humor balances it...)

From the way your post flows, I get the impression you are knowledgeable and resilient. Let's share an anchorage sometime. I think I would enjoy your company.
OH, you absolutely NAILED ME!!! I'm a complete perfectionist. My closets are colorized by item, my spices are alphabetized.. etc.. etc.. etc. I was somewhat perfectionistic most of my life, but once I started this life style, I just went a but far with it. It's the combination of figuring out how to get everything we want into a small space, and also wanting to make absolute sure we know where things are in an emergency. lol... Yes, you and I are cut from the same cloth. it would be great to share an anchorage!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:19   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Well, read most of this and just had to comment.

My wife and I are 81 and 82. Just sold the sailboat and bought a Trawler because she is really too frail for sailboats now and after 60 years of marriage I just couldnt see going solo. She can sit inside and knit while I take care of the boat. So no mater how old you get,there is always a way.
Wow... you are my inspiration. I think of my mom and dad. My dad is 78 and my mom is 76. My mom can barely walk to the mail box. (all of her own doing... she does not take good care of her body).. and my dad doesn't do anything but sit in his recliner and watch TV. I love them.. but watching their life in retirement.. I just didn't want to become like them. I wanted to LIVE!! I'm going to be like you.... I swear it.
Old 17-08-2018, 13:52   #55

Iím in a very similar situation, but have three years left. I recently spoke with a retirement advisor and only had to increase monthly savings by 5% to hit a goal. Other than that I cannot understand how you wonít be able to push off when his retirement date hits. With pension, va, medical and dental, cost of living is less than a car payment, even if you go with Tricare prime...
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:11   #56

Boat: Sceptre 41

Scarlet,
You can be in better shape at an olde age. I was closing in on 250 lbs while going through a divorce. I got down to 176 lbs by swimming and was in better shape after 2 years. Just got back from taking my Mom on a trip to Italy. She is 83. Rome was hard 54 steps up to the apartment we were staying in. Mea culpa - bad planning. But she was game. At the end of the 5th day she pulled a Winston Churchill when I told her we didn't have time to visit the headquarters of the Alumni for the Convent of the Sacred Heart. I had to chase her up the steps. At the end of two weeks she could walk 3 or 4 miles and her speed had increased dramatically.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 10:43   #57

Thanks so very much to everyone who posted such positive and affirming thoughts and experiences! I wanted to give a little update..

So, since I was experiencing lots of arthritic aches and pains, I got back into yoga, and started taking a little glucosamine everyday... all discomfort is gone and I feel like a MILLION bucks!

Also, I had 2 financial things happen this past week that will get us much closer to our goal. First, we had a bit of a "windfall". We transferring money from my husband's TSP (like a 401k) to our investment guy, and there was a whole lot more money in there than we thought. Apparently whilst my husband was deployed in the middle east, his investments counted as "post tax" rather than pretax... so, there was a nice sum of money sitting in there that we didn't know about.

Also, I've been retired myself for a bit. I have had many responsibilities the last couple years that really required my undivided attention, including things like doing repairs and remodeling on our home to increase the value for our sale, etc... But, now we are settled in our rental home, and I was itching to just get out and do something. I immediately got a job at the rescue shelter on base. I love animals and will be working with abandoned dogs, cats and horses. I get to do something amazing, that I love.. and get government pay for it. (thank you tax payers!!!!)

So, I'm not at all a religious person.. but, perhaps with all the positive reinforcement, and good energy coming from you all.. Lets just say the unexpected happened, and we made a big leap forward...
Old 18-08-2018, 17:30   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on ya both, scarlet!

Ann
Old 18-08-2018, 18:19   #59

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Forget insurance, I didn't have any until I turned 65 and it was never a problem. Medical care is cheaper in other countries. Cash pay all the way and over the past 5 years it has been much cheaper than paying for insurance.

Start cutting those meaningless strings that are holding you back. Very hard to do but we did it and are loving life on a cat. Sure beats where we were as we were waiting for our cruising to begin. We should have done it sooner!

Without insurance, I would not be able to sleep at night. A good liability claim made against you might just make your day.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 19:17   #60

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Without insurance, I would not be able to sleep at night. A good liability claim made against you might just make your day.
I believe that Mr Bacchanalian was referring to medical insurance, not liability insurance, and many long range cruisers sail without med insurance.

Jim