Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2008, 06:55   #1

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
thread topic: help i've just had a heart attack or

i've just broken my neck.

granted if i lived in a marina the flies & the smell would probably attract my neighbours attention.

those folk who live nearby on the harbour & i, tend to keep an eye out for each other from day to day, without being intrusive. but it is a day to day thing.

do any liveaboards, not in marinas, especially solo sailors, have safeguards in place for their untimely demise, before the flies/crocs/sea eagles cause attention to be given to their incapacity?

how long will my rotting body lay here before it is discovered or consumed....
bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 11:56   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
It depends on the ambient temperature.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 15:56   #3

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Leave the gun...take the canolis....
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 16:18   #4
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Once you are death then who cares....
Old 26-12-2008, 16:49   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Your best bet is to get a dog, who with any luck will have the usual doggie brains and be smart enough to start an ungodly racket if you fall unresponsive to the floor.

Other than that...some folks on land arrange to have the postal carrier check up on them daily, or they set up some type of routine contact/check with a nieghbor. There are also alarm companies with central stations that can be alerted with a pendant push (a small remote control) to call for aid.

But...living alone, that's one of the risks. You fall down, no one finds you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 17:31   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
A dog is a great suggestion. Good companionship for the living too.

How about...raising a lowering a flag each day? ....Honey...I'm home!

Besides obvious misfortune of the early demise, the discovery by a neighbor could be pretty traumatic for them.

My neighbors had not been next door to me for a year, when I left very early one morning on a 3 week trip, leaving my car in the driveway. Upon my return, my neighbors wife chastised me for not telling them I was leaving. Unbeknownst to
me their former neighbor had died in his home and was discovered weeks later.
My neighbor was probably hours away from calling the police, when I arrived home.
She probably would have done so sooner had hubby not dissuaded her.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:34   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
What's that TV show? "Lost" Where after so many hours someone has to reset the clock or something bad will happen.

So, maybe what you need is a clock that sets off an alarm or smoke if you don't reset it ever so often.

Aww! What you need is a Mother-in-law calling all the time!
Old 26-12-2008, 20:44   #8

Boat: Beneteau 473
I'm guessing you don't have ex-wives who call daily looking for money they think you owe then hunt your a** down the second they can't get you on the phone.

I would have to die then fall overboard while clutching something really heavy in my cold dead arms to escape those witches.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 19:16   #9

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Being a solo sailor, I have the same concerns. I explored this and came up with two options:
1. Have someone (family or friend) call daily.
2. Purchase the "Spot" emergency GPS and 911 calling system (It only costs $99 per year). This assumes you have the ability to push the Emergemcy 911 button.
Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 19:28   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim, Spot is designed to work outdoors with a clear line of sight to the satellites, because it uses a very low power transmitter. It might get through a boat cabin (might) but inside a typical home, on the ground floor...I wouldn't bet on it unless I could test it multiple times to make sure it could reach out. If you find it can--please let us know.
Old 27-12-2008, 19:56   #11

Maybe NOT a dog ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Your best bet is to get a dog, who with any luck will have the usual doggie brains and be smart enough to start an ungodly racket if you fall unresponsive to the floor.
Ya think? My brother's friend died alone in his out-of-the-way dry-land house. No one there but him and his dog. By the time someone came by and discovered him, the dog had gotten really hungry and ...

Yeah.
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 00:12   #12
Kai Nui

We had a friend go through this exact scenario. He fell down the companionway, and broke his neck. It was a couple of days until someone noticed he was missing and came searching for him. Still, I would not want my neighbors looking out for me at quite that level. I like my privacy, and the risk of being injured without rescue is a risk I am comfortable with.
I think, whether on land, or sea, the normal interactions that we have, the communications we have with friends and family, that have become habit, will likely dictate how soon you are found.
Another friend of mine was hiking in the rain forest of South America for a few weeks. His wife got concerned and went to great efforts to track him down and conform he was OK. His response to her? Am I late? Then why are you bothering me?
Old 28-12-2008, 08:08   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, Mike, not to get too far into it but if it wasn't the dog, it would have been bugs. If they were really out of the way--maybe the dog did the best he could, but there was no one to hear it howl. And no big bag of dog chow for it to get into. Nothing's perfect, if it is electronic the batteries may leak. If it is canine...Sometimes they make a mess on the carpet too.<G>

There are many, many trained "service animals" that actually can push a 911 button on a telephone if "master" has a seizure, falls down, or otherwise needs help. Of course, that also assumes the phone lines are working, and that's a less and less reliable assumption in the US these days.

None of which changes the frail realities of life, it will always be easier to have a mishap and die, than to get aid. Even with mandated aid (like defibrillators on planes, and in some states in schools and stadiums) we're still mortal. All we can do is try to stack the odds, and keep the gods happy.
Old 28-12-2008, 08:21   #14

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce in oz View Post
i've just broken my neck.

granted if i lived in a marina the flies & the smell would probably attract my neighbours attention.

those folk who live nearby on the harbour & i, tend to keep an eye out for each other from day to day, without being intrusive. but it is a day to day thing.

do any liveaboards, not in marinas, especially solo sailors, have safeguards in place for their untimely demise, before the flies/crocs/sea eagles cause attention to be given to their incapacity?

how long will my rotting body lay here before it is discovered or consumed....

All I can say is....Survivors will eat anything, Non-Survivors taste like chicken. And to a dog, everything tastes like chicken!!
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08   #15

Boat: Rosborough, RF246, 24.5' Pyxis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I'm guessing you don't have ex-wives who call daily looking for money they think you owe then hunt your a** down the second they can't get you on the phone.

I would have to die then fall overboard while clutching something really heavy in my cold dead arms to escape those witches.
You married the witches.
Yesdog is offline   Reply With Quote