Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 09:40   #31

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Things to get while in America

Go to the dollar store and get loads of pen, paper, coloring stuff and small toys to give away to kids.

Don't forget baby wipes! The most useful stuff to carry on passages.... and outside the USA/Canada its just poorly made but extremely expensive wet paper.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:49   #32
Marine Service Provider

Tahitian coffee is excellent. Plenty of fresh fruit and vegies everywhere. The major islands have very well stocked French chain and local supermarkets. Some stuff is very expensive but some things are surprisingly reasonable. Fresh fish is usually cheaper than in Hawaii if you can’t catch your own. New Zealand frozen lamb and beef are reasonably priced. French wines are reasonable but beer (about $50 a case) and hard liquor (about $80 a bottle) are not. The food trucks on the dock at Papeete have everything including Mexican, French, Chinese and very good Vietnamese, or did the last time I was there five years ago. In short French Polynesia is generally more expensive that the Hawaii but well worth it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:16   #33

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

There was a thread about six months ago on good trade items to bring. Cheap booze (so the locals don't drink all your good stuff, but for trade as well). What else from off memory and experience?

* Extras for any 110V device you use regularly- shaver, soldering iron
* High quality batteries like Duracell. Good batteries are rare in the Pacific.
* Used, inexpensive CDs and DVDs.
* A brick of .22 long will get you a literal boatful of veggies in Marquesas
* hard candy for the kids
* books, magazines to trade w/ other yachties
* quality stainless steel fishing hooks and leaders are hit-and-miss in the Pacific
* Dollar bills. Many people will take the US$ and are more likely to do so for small denominations. Also better not to flash fiddies.
* High quality copy of your passport, a clone. Carry that instead of your real passport. And never, ever surrender your passport.
* friends and family phone numbers on paper- in case you lose your phone.
* Cable ties, lots of them.
* Used masks, snorkels, fins. In case yours break, but also for trade.
* the phone number and address for US consulates/ embassies
* already recommended: consumables- filters, belts, impellers, water pumps, etc. Bring a spare starter motor and alternator.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:22   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Combs, beads, mirrors?... maybe Tupperware? ( what was the name of that movie..)
Tall Ship Chronicles? In it they suggested large knifes and similar hardware tools for bartering. It's kind of dated now so I don't if there's still a shortage out there.
fishondryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:24   #35

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Go to the dollar store and get loads of pen, paper, coloring stuff and small toys to give away to kids.

Don't forget baby wipes! The most useful stuff to carry on passages.... and outside the USA/Canada its just poorly made but extremely expensive wet paper.
There are no dollar stores in Hawaii. None. If anyone can correct me on this, please do. But Costco has great deals on baby wipes.

I am also preparing to head south very soon. I have "terminal provisionitis". I can't seem to stop picking up provisions.
Old 14-03-2017, 10:47   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Lots of folks recommend buying from the US/UK/Aus kids toys, sports kit, clothees, schoolbooks, fish hooks, bullets etc to give as largess to black people in remote places.

Yes its well meaning but really screws up the local people and can even get you slotted in jail!

You have cut out the business that normally provides these things. You have given stuff for free where no charity is needed or asked for.
Yes there are places that want and need your assistance but ruining the business of the only store on the island is not the way to do it.

An entrepreneur brings in fish hooks at his expense to sell to local fishermen at a meger profit... and some rich fat cruiser floats in and gives $10 of hooks for $2 of fish.

Instead of raping the only local with the fortitude to trade its much better to buy fish hooks from him and then give them away if you want.

Same with school exercise book: buy them locally and you support the school and the island.

As for bullets as someone suggested. That's just lunacy. Indonesia its instant jail (Aussie who was jailed there for 12 shotgun shells). I never saw a gun in the marquesas and don't k.ow what they would use them for there anyway. And why would they need .22LR?

The Marquesas are French islands fully stocked with normal French Police with normal French handcuffs. Its not some tin-pot banana republic! Run ammunition in there? Someone must be crackers!

"Leave nothing but footprints" is cultural as well: destroying businesses; turning honest locals into hand-out mentality beggers, and teaching black children that white people really are cargo cult rich is wrong.

In fact if you REALLY want to help communities you pass through just buy everything from them. Provision from local businesses. Give them incentive and profit instead of buying everything from your home country because you save a few measly cents.

This thread 'What to get in America' should be answered with "Nothing! Buy everything Down Island!"

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 12:42   #37

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Most things will be cheaper in the US than in the Pacific Islands so fill up the boat with anything you feel you might need. The most amazing supermarket (hypermarche) I have ever seen is in Papeete (think French food and add a tropical location in the middle of an ocean) but the only thing that was not expensive were the baguettes. Basically everything in Australia was expensive other than wine. Buying marine stuff does not happen in most places you will visit. Papeete has some stuff; OZ and NZ for sure. You can use USPS to send stuff to American Samoa (one plane a week).
Old 14-03-2017, 14:44   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Come on Jim, there's a Guzman y Gomez in just about every large shopping mall.
Oh, sorry - I missed the word "decent"
Actually, we went to the one in Gladstone a while back and were surprised at the quality of the food there... pleasantly surprised! But ain't none that we've found down here in Tassie.

Jim
Old 14-03-2017, 14:50   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Lots of folks recommend buying from the US/UK/Aus kids toys, sports kit, clothees, schoolbooks, fish hooks, bullets etc to give as largess to black people in remote places.

Yes its well meaning but really screws up the local people and can even get you slotted in jail!

You have cut out the business that normally provides these things. You have given stuff for free where no charity is needed or asked for.
Yes there are places that want and need your assistance but ruining the business of the only store on the island is not the way to do it.

An entrepreneur brings in fish hooks at his expense to sell to local fishermen at a meger profit... and some rich fat cruiser floats in and gives $10 of hooks for $2 of fish.

Instead of raping the only local with the fortitude to trade its much better to buy fish hooks from him and then give them away if you want.

Same with school exercise book: buy them locally and you support the school and the island.

As for bullets as someone suggested. That's just lunacy. Indonesia its instant jail (Aussie who was jailed there for 12 shotgun shells). I never saw a gun in the marquesas and don't k.ow what they would use them for there anyway. And why would they need .22LR?

The Marquesas are French islands fully stocked with normal French Police with normal French handcuffs. Its not some tin-pot banana republic! Run ammunition in there? Someone must be crackers!

"Leave nothing but footprints" is cultural as well: destroying businesses; turning honest locals into hand-out mentality beggers, and teaching black children that white people really are cargo cult rich is wrong.

In fact if you REALLY want to help communities you pass through just buy everything from them. Provision from local businesses. Give them incentive and profit instead of buying everything from your home country because you save a few measly cents.

This thread 'What to get in America' should be answered with "Nothing! Buy everything Down Island!"

Mark
I mostly agree with this and think it is sound advice to not inflict damage on a natural economy. However I am sure there are places where some items are especially prohibitive due to costs and are well needed and appreciated. School supplies and basic first aid supplies are among those items. Yes , perhaps have them barter $2 worth of fish or veggies for the items that might have cost $20. But some items truly are out of their financial reach. The $18 deficit is made up by the joy that gift brings
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 14:57   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I'm not too picky on food... I did however grow up in New Mexico so most Mexican food doesn't come close anyway. ;-)
Oh yes, that would raise the bar pretty damn high! I used to go to Los Alamos fairly often and would always try to plan my travel times so I'd be in Santa Fe around lunch time...

Jim
Old 14-03-2017, 15:11   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

The best barter items used to be transistor radios (if you don't count booze and smokes, neither work for me); now I'm told it's fishing gear and good knives (like chef knives). Oh, and Hawaii isn't the place to provision cheap but I'm guessing you already know that....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 15:19   #42

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Mark
Wow Mark great arguments! I am reformed. Seriously, I appreciate the reality check
Old 14-03-2017, 16:04   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Actually, we went to the one in Gladstone a while back and were surprised at the quality of the food there... pleasantly surprised! But ain't none that we've found down here in Tassie.

Jim
Mea Culpa!

Apparently they started in SE Qld and expanded there first - which is why I got the impression that they are so widespread.

According to their website, their aren't any in Tassie yet. (But they have opened in Singapore and Japan )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:21   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

the way,

If you eat peanut butter, bring it with you. It is not a common dietary staple outside the US.

We found the Polynesians and Melanesians to be very generous people, and felt the need to give gifts. I agree with Mark J that one should not go overboard, none of the 6 solar panels for a green pawpaw sort of deal, but I used to buy children's clothing from 2nd hand stores, and it was always appreciated by the parents. The kids, themselves, usually like balloons.

I would not do the shells, it is very against the law. Still, some cruisers did, and the men would go hunting wild goats, using dogs, but shoot the goat to finish it. Other things we did not do were lollies (much liked, but no toothbrushes there) and cigarettes.

Small fish hooks and line are good trade items for men, and for women motel soaps seem to be prized. Sometimes Lions Clubs have sunglasses or reading glasses they will give you to disperse. Usually want to have you send pics back of happy people.
A friend used to carry cheap costume jewelry, for woman gifts, too.

As a single hander male, I would give the gifts to the "man of the house" to disperse as he sees fit, just like the ritual gifts for chiefs. We don't know what their social obligations are, and they are definitely different from ours.

Ann
Old 14-03-2017, 16:37   #45

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I visit the US with my kids, we stock up on spray cheese in a can. I have never seen it anywhere else. Tastes like crap, but fun as hell.

I would stock up on trinkets to give as gifts. Dollar store stuff. Stuff for kids. Its nice to have a little something to give to kids you meet along the way...bandanas, hats, pokemon cards...etc...
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote