Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 05:04   #76

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Things to get while in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Yeah definitely personal, but I like learning from others "personal" preferences. And also just interesting information about my fellow humans.

Like how important sunglasses are to me now. my first attempt from California to Hawaii I didn't take a single pair of sunglasses. I think that contributed a lot to my seasickness and ultimately having to return to California.

I usually don't wear them and haven't most of my life on or off the boat, but now they are pretty important and luckily available in most countries. Then talking with people later they say... "Of course you need sunglasses!" but it just wasn't something I could relate to at the time.
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/r...y-glasses.html

Speaking of sunglasses, I seem to go through A LOT of them. I finally gave up on buying anything over $20 as they lasted only a few days til I broke, scratched or lost them.
I now buy the Starlight SM (for small faces) 12 at a time. Unfortunatly they're not polarized but at $1.80 - $0.75 each, I don't feel guilty about putting on a new pair once a month or giving a set away when needed.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 07:38   #77

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Don't forget baby wipes! The most useful stuff to carry on passages.... and outside the USA/Canada its just poorly made but extremely expensive wet paper.
NEVER run out of baby wipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But the best thing that we've found is to do some helpful act for the village or villagers.
I wondered about that. Thanks.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 11:10   #78

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/r...y-glasses.html

Speaking of sunglasses, I seem to go through A LOT of them. I finally gave up on buying anything over $20 as they lasted only a few days til I broke, scratched or lost them.

I now buy the Starlight SM (for small faces) 12 at a time. Unfortunatly they're not polarized but at $1.80 - $0.75 each, I don't feel guilty about putting on a new pair once a month or giving a set away when needed.

That's a good deal, in FP they are no less than $10 US. And in AS $4. I even saw the exact same sunglasses in both locations, the manufacture tag was in English and said $3.99 in FP they ignore that and sell for $10, in AS that's the price.

...but 1.80, wow
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 11:11   #79

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
NEVER run out of baby wipes.

I wondered about that. Thanks.

Decent toilet paper, when wet, makes a decent baby wipe ;-)
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 20:34   #80

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
That's a good deal, in FP they are no less than $10 US. And in AS $4. I even saw the exact same sunglasses in both locations, the manufacture tag was in English and said $3.99 in FP they ignore that and sell for $10, in AS that's the price.

...but 1.80, wow
My wifes Dental office buys the exact same glasses from their medical supply house for $10 ea. For some reason they still won't buy them direct at $0.75 each. Go figure.
I like the small size as they stay on my face when moving down the road at 100mph on my Harley and keep the wind out of my eyes.
On the boat the sun doesn't get around the edges, they don't come off when hit by a wave, 100% UV protection, not too dark, available in several colors and if you buy enough of them, they're less than a dollar....and if they get scratched i don't feel guilty about grabbing a new set.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01   #81

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

I just discovered the Dollar Tree.....where everything costs a dollar or less. There are other dollar stores where the word dollar means nothing.

I may let go of my Costco membership at some time. They seem to be catering to the wealthy more than the bargain hunter. Though they still have great deals, one has to look harder.

Isn't OP in Hawaii? Known for high prices?
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 17:11   #82

Boat: Shock Santana, 30
Thumbs up Re: Things to get while in America

The dollar tree stores are great for many things. Just some for boat and land dwelling provisions are: batteries, sunglasses, reading glasses, cleaning supplies, cooking supplies, smaller sizes of food staples and condiments. Too much more to list.

When we bought our current boat this year, our first stop was The dollar tree store. We stocked our head, cabin and galley for pennies on the dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I just discovered the Dollar Tree.....where everything costs a dollar or less. There are other dollar stores where the word dollar means nothing.

I may let go of my Costco membership at some time. They seem to be catering to the wealthy more than the bargain hunter. Though they still have great deals, one has to look harder.

Isn't OP in Hawaii? Known for high prices?
DeeN is offline   Reply With Quote