Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 17:57   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: The top 20 liveaboard sailing blogs

I would add Delos also. Sailing blogs are very popular some are written very well some are not but they are still fun to read. Also I pick up ideas all the time from stuff that some do on their blogs. I say keep them coming.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:27   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingTerrapin View Post
Unless you're planning on setting sail with kids. For us, adding kids to the equation changed everything. We checked out other family blogs for a few years before setting sail. There's so much more to think about with kids in tow. .................................
My thoughts continue in agreement with what cwyckham and valhalla 360 have said. If you've already done it then, the blog about it is not that interesting. We raised children aboard and cruised with them from when they were infants until they left as adults. Our grandson is growing up on his parent's boat now.
Blogs about kids on boats don't give me anything of interest, though I do like interactive discussions.
Old 12-08-2015, 19:58   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have viewed most and enjoyed their perspectives. WORLD TOUR STORIES Alex and Taru sailing around the world.Travel blog. Lifestyle blog. Sailing blog. with Tara and Alex, I fine a little pretentious in a "look at the beautiful people' kind of way.
I was saddened that Rebelheart got so beat up here and by the media. I'd like to know what they are up to after hanging with them in La Paz, Mx.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 20:40   #34

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have viewed most and enjoyed their perspectives. WORLD TOUR STORIES Alex and Taru sailing around the world.Travel blog. Lifestyle blog. Sailing blog. with Tara and Alex, I fine a little pretentious in a "look at the beautiful people' kind of way.
Alex and Taru's blog was one of the blogs I started reading a long time ago. It was different and well done. I lost interest because there was nothing about sailing and it became a vehicle for promoting clothes and jewellery. Then it became more land based and now I would not describe it as a sailing blog at all. The photos are excellent however.
Old 12-08-2015, 20:47   #35

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

I find the best blogs have stunning photography. Example: Where The Coconuts Grow, which is one of the sites they list. You look at those shots and even if you're familiar with a location, the vivid photos allow you enjoy it even more.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 20:54   #36

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
I find the best blogs have stunning photography. Example: Where The Coconuts Grow, which is one of the sites they list. You look at those shots and even if you're familiar with a location, the vivid photos allow you enjoy it even more.
I totally agree with you on that one. Where the coconuts grow have amazing photos and they are also good people and like to speak to people who look at their website. One of my favourites.
Old 12-08-2015, 22:33   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Alex and Taru's blog was one of the blogs I started reading a long time ago. It was different and well done. I lost interest because there was nothing about sailing and it became a vehicle for promoting clothes and jewellery. Then it became more land based and now I would not describe it as a sailing blog at all. The photos are excellent however.
Well put
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 04:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think you are confused regarding the purpose of blogs. While technical subjects may come up, they are not akin to a technical manual. They are probably more akin to a biographical novel.
Agreed.

Perhaps also it is the different places people are in that can influence the "neatness" or value of blogs, vblogs, and podcasts.

I am still in the dreaming phase, still learning and building the plan to get out there. For me I LOVE the various blogs as they inspire, and inform, and drive me to my goal.

I read perhaps 8-10 blogs, watch a couple of vblogs, and listen to three podcasts all on sailing. I truly enjoy them and plan on having a blog of my own when the time is right.

For those not into them, that is cool too...
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:27   #39

Boat: Alajuela 38

Just like to add two penneth here and suggest those who are interested in sailing blogs of the more off the beaten track and self Reliant slant take a look at
The Life Nomadik | Chronicle of a Lunatic Voyage
And
Yacht Mollymawk — The cruising log of the good ship Mollymawk

I find sadly few blogs recounting the life I am more interested in. Mainly because I think like minded souls often don't have regular internet and don't want to be a slave to the computer....
Hmmm I think there's a lesson for me in here somewhere...
Impetuous too is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, logs, sail, sailing, sailing blog