Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 07:50   #46

Re: The Live aboard stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
Explain to me please from your expert business knowledge just how other users are more profitable to marina owners? My marina charges an extra fee for live-aboards, electricy is individually metered, live-aboards are using other pay for use services more. How is more profitable for someone to park their boat in a slip and never return? Slip fees are slip fees.

As a matter of fact in an actual example I’ll give you that happened this last weekend. I arrived to spend my usual weekend on the boat the boat in the slip next to me which happens to be a boat in disrepair had some deck cushions on the bow and the aft deck railings sitting on them holding them down. a thunderstorm blew in earlier that day blowing the deck cushions against my boat, luckily the deck railings hung up on his boat before flipping over on my boat. So I report this to the marina office as I do not know the owner and am not going to board his boat and secure anything without his permission. Now the Harbor master has to come and investigate and they are attempting to reach the owner to come secure his boat and to my knowledge unsuccessful so far. That means the Harbor master has to now determine it as a safety hazard and deal with it himself.

So tell me how it is more profitable to deal with this boat owner vs. one who lives there that they could just tell fix the problem.
1) It doesn't matter what the truth is. Only what the owner believes. Don't like it, buy your own marina and run it the way you like. If it works, you will get rich buy more marinas and the problem will be solved.
2) If other customers don't like having liveaboards around, loss of customers leaves empty unpaid slips or drives prices down in order to keep slips full (which only encourages more marginal customers further driving prices down).

You can go on and on about social justice issues but as long as liveaboard make up a tiny percentage of slipped boats and hoyty toyty boaters don't like them around, your just banging your head against the wall. In most areas marinas are full, so they don't have to appease you to stay full.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
I was reading one of these live-aboard posts last night and there were comments from people who not only don’t live-aboard but some don’t even own boats! They know someone who knows someone. And now they are spewing mis information as if it were a fact.
Welcome to boat forums and boating advise

Lots of stuff gets passed as gospel just because it was written in some outdated book by someone who hear it once from a guy who said that one time someone told him that they had hear from a drunk guy at the bar who was really talking about sleeping under a bridge without a blanket during a rain.

Like Hudson says, there is a big difference between a liveaboard, an anchor out, a cruiser who has stopped in a marina (maybe for a year), and a misplaced trailer trash person on a boat. Heck if I wanted to be a "liveaboard" I would get rid of my sailboat and get a houseboat.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:14   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

It is a noble task to try and not (mentally) mix up sailing, cruising and living aboard with sitting in an armchair and participating in this communion of social media virtual 'I, me, mine'. And with sipping. And with GoPro 7 (titanium edition).

These are two different things. Three. Errrr. four, whatever.

On the water, I am a scared newbie. At CF I am a noble captain.

Both modalities are nice to practice and fun to be, just stay sane and do not believe what they say at Netflix, errr. Facebook errrrrr Instagram ...... errrrrrrr XForum ..... ;-)

Summer is sweet bananas and we need some pulp fiction too.

Relax and sip.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:49   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Like Hudson says, there is a big difference between a liveaboard, an anchor out, a cruiser who has stopped in a marina (maybe for a year), and a misplaced trailer trash person on a boat. Heck if I wanted to be a "liveaboard" I would get rid of my sailboat and get a houseboat.
Interesting enough at least in the San Francisco Bay Area, many marinus don't let you live aboard on a houseboat. I do agree that's a bit weird.

Having talked to many harbormaster's Around The Bay, some like liveaboards some would rather not have any liveaboards. Nearly every Marina has a few down and out liveaboards. The general consensus is the Harbor Master wants the boats operational. This does vary from Marina to Marina of course

Myself with my nearly 50 year old boat with original gel coat, well let's just say I don't quite meet Yacht Club standards. I have heard snotty yachty's disparage either myself or my boat simply because I live on a boat and have for 15 years.

In my case I take the Rose out Lots. heck I'll spend six months traveling around the California delta. My boat no longer shines. Like myself, it's looking a little tired and old. I suspect I would not meet the high standards of the O.P's requirements.

From my perspective being at the lower end of the socioeconomic Spectrum, well I guess I just feel sorry for the fellow that just wants nice boats to look at. I think he would rather have a gated community with enforce Covenants for Marina's.

I mean who knew there were poor boaters out there. Imagine the horror of having to talk to a poor boater in the land side restroom or Clubhouse. Surely these things should be reserved for the rich only. That's the message I'm getting.

Well it's time to time for me to move on. You all have a happy Wednesday.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:03   #50

Sailorchic34, you would be suspecting wrong. I am a firm believer in the quote from Thomas Jefferson “But it does me no injury if my neighbor lives on his boat or only visits it once a year. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”
Forgive me I took the liberty to change it a little bit to fit the subject at hand.

I have no standards that you would have to meet in my opinion other than those stated in the quote.
I would be more than happy to sit down with you for a drink or two, listen and learn from your experiences living aboard.

I do not intend in anyway and please forgive me if I have to sound as one of the others passing judgment on other lifestyle or financial status.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11   #51

Valhalla360, I really don’t understand your responses to me. I’m just voicing my opinion as anyone else is here. You seem to insinuate that my opinions are pointless. I would welcome rational debate if you had any but it seems you don’t and can only attempt to reply as if you have spoken and us little people should shut up and go away.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26   #52

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

I dont know any Live Aboard that can afford to stay in a marina. All of my cruising friends utilize free anchorage and dingy back and forth to land.
If Live Aboard means choosing to live on a boat in a marina instead of in an on shore dwelling then they are in a different lifestyle than cruisers. Just to clarify.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:33   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
I dont know any Live Aboard that can afford to stay in a marina. All of my cruising friends utilize free anchorage and dingy back and forth to land.
If Live Aboard means choosing to live on a boat in a marina instead of in an on shore dwelling then they are in a different lifestyle than cruisers. Just to clarify.
Why do you and others keep insisting on clarifying the difference? What does it matter, is one a better person then the other?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Surprisingly, many ( ok some), marinas in the San Francisco Bay Area are affordable. I spend $216 a month for a slip. You can spend $600 to $1000 for the same privilege, in other Marinas. I also have a slip because I sometimes take land vacations.

of course I'm currently at anchor, and have been for several months. I guess I'm a rich boater now.

From Reading here, I suspect the cost at marinas on the East Coast is much higher.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:42   #55
CLOD

Quote:
I know LOTS of liveaboard who not only can afford and do live in a marina, but could afford and do also own a house.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:54   #56
CLOD

My wife and I live on our sailboat. We sold all our “stuff” 33 months ago and traveled up/down the east and gulf coast and Bahamas since. We since brought a house but rent it to our daughter and only stay there when visiting. We mostly anchor out and dinghy in when moving. But we have stayed in a slip for up to 3 months and on a mooring ball for 3 months. We are currently in a slip for the month and then are moving to a different marina in a different State where we are staying at least 2 months. Am I a :

- a liveaboard
- a cruiser
- an anchor out
- boat trailer trash
- useless old fat man on a boat
- an eyesore to the land owners
- a money spender for the local business

Is it possible I might be more than one or all?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The Live aboard stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Surprisingly, many ( ok some), marinas in the San Francisco Bay Area are affordable. I spend $216 a month for a slip. You can spend $600 to $1000 for the same privilege, in other Marinas. I also have a slip because I sometimes take land vacations.

of course I'm currently at anchor, and have been for several months. I guess I'm a rich boater now.

From Reading here, I suspect the cost at marinas on the East Coast is much higher.

I don’t believe you can get a slip for those rates in most of Fl.
Which surprises me as I read that SF is among the most expensive places to live in the US.
The other day there was a news article on the median price of homes by State, the differences were quite surprising.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-ranked-2018-8
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:02   #58
CLOD

Right now you can get slip in Gulfport MS for 41’ boat for $319/ mo that includes 30-amp electric, water, and slip side pump out. Add $200 for a liveaboard.

This month I’m paying $420 for all those.

It all depends on how “nice” you need a place to be.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t believe you can get a slip for those rates in most of Fl.
Which surprises me as I read that SF is among the most expensive places to live in the US.
The other day there was a news article on the median price of homes by State, the differences were quite surprising.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-ranked-2018-8
While it is quite true that if you want to rent or buy a house on land the San Francisco Bay Area pretty much leads the world in expensive rent. a one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco will run you about $3,500/month. Surprisingly enough that's not at all correlated to Marina slip cost. Well not yet anyway.

Most of the central Bay can be had for about $300-$400, a month, for a 35 to 40 foot slip. A few marinas in Sausalito are far more expensive. Add anywhere from $150 to $350 for liveaboard fee. In the California delta it is possible to find a live-aboard slip for about $350, and a regular slip for just a little over $200. I haven't even paid for electricity for the last 9 years.

I don't pay the live-aboard fee as I rarely stay in the marina more than a few days at a time.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:48   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

See that is what surprises me, get down in the high dollar part of Fl, and the slip rents follow the house and condo rent prices, not sure they correlate exactly, but a slip in S Fl is orders of magnitude higher than your paying.
I stay away, the people around there I don’t care for.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote