Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 14:01   #16

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Re: The Live aboard stereotype.

[i had my boat at Waterford. Southshore and LYC. The higher the monthly fees the better the boats. Waterford and LYC have the nicer boats of the three marinas Iíve had our boat at.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 14:25   #17

Most liveaboards are dirty in that they let head waste go directly into water. But some non liveaboards are dirty too. Instead of going up to public bathroom for #1, they use boat head and I NEVER see them get a headpumper out there.
barbxbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 14:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbxbarb View Post
Most liveaboards are dirty in that they let head waste go directly into water. But some non liveaboards are dirty too. Instead of going up to public bathroom for #1, they use boat head and I NEVER see them get a headpumper out there.

No respect required for this one.

Utter rubbish.

Unsubstantiated.

Ridiculous.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 14:36   #19

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Around here (BC) every marina asks for proof of insurance coverage. They note your expiry date and insist you come in every year and show your policy. No insurance, no moorage. It's been quite effective in driving out the derelicts.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 15:25   #20

Boat: Flicka 20

Just thought I'd add an interesting point. I have a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter/Winnebago View RV. I was in the Kemah, Clearlake, TX area a couple of weeks ago looking for a possible winter getaway marina. I have a Flicka 20 that I tow with the RV. The prices looked good at one marine, but when I mentioned that I had an RV they said I couldn't even enter the marina with the boat. I wanted to have them use their travel lift to launch the Flicka. Bottom line Flicka = OK, Winnebago = not OK. I pointed out that the RV is only 24 feet overall and the Flicka is 24 feet LOA. That didn't seem to make a dent in their thinking. May still consider other marinas in Kemah but it took the polish off of Texas. No such problem at my old marina in Alameda, CA. Just saying.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 16:47   #21

Quote:
This statement is the exact reason I started this thread. Not only is this Utter unsubstantiated ridiculous rubbish, but ... well never mind.

It makes absolutely no sense at all. So your saying that the people who live in a marina every day are more likely to dump there crap in the marina waters than someone down for a weekend cruise who when pulling back into the slip is in a hurry to get back to there land home now has to take the time to go to the pump out station prior to leaving.

If I were a betting man, and I am. I would put my money on the live aboard caring more about the water he is living n than that weekender.

I would be interested to hear how you have come to your conclusion as to most live aboards being dirty?

Probably read it on the internet. Which again is why this post exists. We must stop this misinformation before we no longer have the option to live aboard any more. And someone correct me if Iím wrong but isnít a federal law to report someone dumping in unauthorized waters if you witness it?
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 16:55   #22

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:

Your first and only post here is filth!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 17:39   #23

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I've just signed my first marina lease agreement as a liveaboard today (3-month lease). I have been a full time coastal cruiser for the past two years and I too have felt some of the negative perceptions associated with being a liveaboard, particularly in Florida. Am here now in Biloxi, MS as a liveaboard due to having a marketable skill (marine electrician and general engine mechanic) and was hired by a local marine contractor who had heard of me through word-of-mouth. So, building up the cruising kitty for a few months. I've been visiting this marina for the past couple of months as a transient and then would anchor nearby and row ashore for work so I am already familiar with the marina.

In this marina there are 7 liveaboards. Of those, 2 boats are in rough shape due to the owners lacking funds to maintain them...although they are trying and it is readily apparent (clean, decks squared away...just old boats that need some (expensive) loving. The remainder of the liveaboards maintain their boats to a good,or better, level and and take pride in them. All of them create a great community which the marina manager (also a liveaboard here) has stated that he appreciates their value in terms of marina security, picking up much of the trash left by the weekenders, and the general helpfulness of each of the individuals towards each other, the marina and transients/weekenders/dockwalkers.

Three abandoned boats in the marina and a few rough looking boats that haven't been visited by their owners in years. Another that is nothing more than a "Party Pad" that the owner uses to bring his latest girlfriend too. Nothing to do with liveaboards there.

Enforcement of the lease agreements by the marina is not entirely possible due to absentee owners, laws regarding abandonment, etc. Other parts of the leases are held to very loose standards (no swimming in the marina...but you can dive on your boat to clean the hull and running gear, for example). Insurance is required, as is valid and current boat documentation. Pump outs are enforced...you don't do it yourself (for free), the marina does it for you and you get charged for it (which I think is a good idea). Liveaboards are asked to get underway at least once a month to demonstrate operability. If unable to do so, inform the marina why and they will work with you (Which again, I think is also good idea). These are only a couple of examples and are not perfect solutions to the generally "perceived" liveaboard problem in a marina, I know, but it goes a long way towards maintaining a harmonious relationship between the marina management and the liveaboards here.

On the other side of the issue, I have also been in marinas, mooring fields and anchorages that do indeed contribute to the bad rap that liveaboards can get (i.e. the indigent, broke hurricane victims, criminal elements, etc.). It's not unlike any poverty stricken area in a city. However, IMO liveaboards and shoestring sailors in rough looking boats are just more visible to landlubbers who can afford the prices associated with living on a waterfront somewhere and pressures placed on law enforcement.

Just my thoughts....
Old 02-07-2019, 03:16   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, barbx.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32   #25

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory 30K

I can't blame those who just want to have affordable waterfront place to hang out. I fortunately got in a liveaboard marina. Probably 90% of the boats haven't moved in the two years I've been here. When I was in Hawaii a few years ago . I was called back to CA because the 92 earthquake destroyed My Dad's house and two sister's houses. So I was stuck for some time. Hawaii Harbor master told me that The marina wasn't a storage facility and that I need to log my using the boat once a month. They wanted me to take the boat past their dock and call them so they could see me using the boat.. I had to fly back to Hawaii once a month to do that. It made me think that maybe some harbors should be designated storage,some for liveaboard and those for regular use. Just thinking . I actually don't like the derelics around me and I think they can attract rodents etc.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27   #26

Boat: Whitby 42

Pump outs in Clear Lake/Kemah are really not a problem. There are two services that will come to your boat for a pump out. I also know that Waterford has a diy pump out station.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

from what I observed over the years, both in Florida, and now in California, roughly 90% of boats never leave the slips. At my current Marina, I can walk down my dock, and notice three or four boats with registration stickers 4 to 6 years old. in California that's a two-year thing.

The thing to remember is that boats represent dreams. They are purchased to satisfy the longing for adventure, to travel, to break away from the mundane. And for a few people they want to live aboard, as that's all the Adventure they need.

I'm not sure there is a stereotypical live-aboard. They come from all walks of life and for whatever reason, the boats sing to them, their siren song Whispering Adventure in the wind. I'm pretty sure I'm not typical at all, though I've been aboard 15 years now. I've enjoyed nearly every minute of it. Barring a few trials and tribulations.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:26   #28
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

The most accurate live aboard stereotype is the one about single ladies with cats
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29   #29

Standards for how well you keep up your boat are hard and subjective. Then you get unintended consequences where good clients get caught up in those rules.

Much easier to use a simple rule, such as no liveaboards.

If you are a good client, they can look the other way and call you a cruiser who just stopped by for a while and then never bother to tell you to leave (as long as you keep the boat in good condition and make your slip payments). If you ever slack off or are late on payments, it's easy for them to remember the no liveaboard rule.

Really, this is the old...a few bad apples scenario.
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:10   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The most accurate live aboard stereotype is the one about single ladies with cats
You had to go there. while it's true I have had a cat aboard, Dekat passed away a few years ago. For the moment I remain a catless crazy cat lady
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote