Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 19:17   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: The Live Aboard Challange: Not looking like a Float Aboard

I did a little test this afternoon as I was taking my morning walk to get off the boat (needed when your office is on the boat). I paid attention to all the live aboard cars, vans and trucks in the parking lot. How did I know they were live aboard cars do you ask...ha ha ha ..easy they all had piles of stuff piled in almost visable space. Now granted, most of the live aboards here will never see their boat leave the estuary unless the outflow from a massive Tsnami sucks them out!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 08:48   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
.................... most of the live aboards here will never see their boat leave the estuary..........
Maybe it would be the definition of liveaboards as boats that don't go anywhere that keeps myself and many of my liveaboard friends from fitting into these descriptions. I have not owned a car for 11 years and, when I did, it was usually fairly empty. I met a liveaboard last summer who keeps 7 cheap old bicycles. One is chained to a fence or post in each different port that he frequents. He's on a fairly small boat and we choose to store folding bikes below in our aft cabin. There are many places where a combination of bicycles and public transportation can allow you access to all you might desire. Still, there are some times when we rent a car. I just rented a car for one day this week to have some minor surgery removing a basal cell skin cancer from my hand. I did not want to attempt the one-handed bicycling! A brief digression from this thread,- All you young sailors take care with too much sun exposure!
Old 27-11-2013, 09:43   #33

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Keeping clutter to a minimum can be a challenge when building boat parts! Keeping the boat ready to sail is a big help, unless I am actually working on something, my bike is the only thing that has to be moved off the deck to go for a sail. The storage locker is more of a workshop that I share with some others, mostly tools, off season clothes and two more bicycles. It is a little cosy inside with all my other tools and a full size recumbent bicycle, but everything has its place. I look forward to the day I can trade off some big tools, but have to finish building out the interior first ...after I get some sailing done. A boat should not look like a floating junkyard! Been living on a boat for many years and have seen many less than well kept boats which I believe is one of the main reasons it is getting more difficult for live a boards to find a slip when they need one.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 11:00   #34

Boat: Sunfish (but looking for a Sneakbox)

I was thinking of doing the Redneck way (that the Red/Green Way for you Canadians) and towing a pontoon boat behind my sailboat so that I will have space for my Garden and Chickens.
Old 27-11-2013, 11:31   #35

Most if not all of the liveaboards in our marina are much, much nicer than the neglected day-sailor boats folks rarely, if ever, use.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 19:59   #36

You can tell which boats are live aboards around most marinas. But I think the point here should be if you have pride in something you'll take care of it, and keep it presentable. Have at least some consideration for your neighbors and other slip renters. I agree with several of the other posters regarding keeping it simple that's the only way to go. If they are must-have's or family heirlooms then sure a storage unit makes the most sense especially when the storage unit is only 50 or 60 bucks a month. Simplicity and ease of travel is the name of the game for me and my family, when the wife and I are too old to sail then we will just move in with the kids more than likely just to a coffin.
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 21:04   #37

Boat: 37 Gulfstar
Lots of folks clearly equate being identifiable as a liveaboard with having a junky looking boat or decks. I don't think that is a fair or accurate perspective, but I know it is the dominant one and I know there are plenty of junky-looking boats out there. I admittedly have too much clutter, and I'm tackling that problem because I don't want anything--like a storage unit full of stuff--tying me to shore. I don't want my boat to look like a flea market. However, I want there to be plenty of boats in the marina or anchorage that look much nicer than mine so thieves will pass me over. I also very much want it to be obvious that I live on my boat so thieves are less likely to come aboard and face the hassle of someone fighting back. I have dog bowls on deck both for the dog's convenience and as a deterrent. Taking the boat out weekly is a great goal, but life and weather often get in the way for many people. Unfortunately my slip is quite shallow and during fall and winter a consecutive couple days of north winds and I'm hard aground.
Old 09-12-2013, 23:42   #38

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have found that experiencing a little bit of rough weather occasionally does wonders for a cluttered deck.

The problem is that it sneaks on by the hand full and pretty soon becomes a boat full.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa