Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 18:38   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
The hook of Sausalito!

So,.. I've know about this anchorage for a while. Both abandoned and boats filled with less then savory souls. Meandering eyes checking out your spoils, as they row past your way.

As I have just been denied my Live aboard slip, based on an unread statement. I have already packed my stuff, ready to move to my boat. Can't go back, and can't sail to the planned destination. I'm thinking that my hook needs to see mud.

The questions are,.. Where do I tie my dinghy, without loosing my outboard? Where can I park my Truck, while on my boat?

Mostly though,... HOW do I get an address, so I can get a job??
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 23:23   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: The hook of Sausalito!

Sorry about your situation. As to an address, get a post office box and ask them for the street address for deliveries. If someone needs an address for work, that's all they should need. With two dogs, unfortunately, your options are limited around here. They're really clamping down at the marinas. Good luck!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:10   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

The Post Office will not accept deliveries requiring a signature. The UPS Store (or similar) is a much better solution. Not only does it provide you with a legitimate address and mailbox, but they will accept even palletized shipments and have computers, copiers, faxes etc., on site.

As far as parking your dinghy in a secure location while you're at work? All I can say is that you'd better hope your oars don't get stolen along with the outboard.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 14:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The Post Office will not accept deliveries requiring a signature. The UPS Store (or similar) is a much better solution. Not only does it provide you with a legitimate address and mailbox, but they will accept even palletized shipments and have computers, copiers, faxes etc., on site.

As far as parking your dinghy in a secure location while you're at work? All I can say is that you'd better hope your oars don't get stolen along with the outboard.
Yea,.. Pretty much what I've been thinking was the case.
Old 01-07-2016, 15:18   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

As of last check, a year or two ago, places like The UPS Store wanted the same proof that you are truly a legit. local, just like the Post Office does. Meaning; a Driver's Liscense w. addy, Utility Bill, etc.

So you'll need to check & see what hoops they want you to jump through in order to "get an address" there. IE; the insanity of needing an address in order to get one...
And yeah, major pain in the rear. But please let us know what you find out.

For the dinghy, when living on a mooring, I quickly found a new home for the outboard & inflatable. And switched to a couple of beater, hard dinghies & oars. It's either that, or the high $ dink & OB will grow legs.
2 dinks, if you can manage it, affords you a spare. And there are times when such is more than a luxury. Like when one's down for repairs, or your neighbor's is... The same neighbor who watches out for your & your stuff, & vice versa.

Each dink got a cable & lock, plus a hole through each oar blade large enough to let the end of the locking cable fit through. Also, either permanently affix your oarlocks to the oars, or carry them with you in your daily travels.
It's an 'adjustment'

My wheels were a reliable, but older, unobtrusive car. Which, fortunately, I had a good spot to park. And it was pretty much visible from the boat. Albeit a 10min+ row away, unless I was up for climbing the rocky seawall right in front of the car, & letting the dink beat itself up on same.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 16:25   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

If I had a slip in Sausalito I'd let somebody tie up their dink for $100 a month. If you got a job as a wine steward you could pay with wine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 17:02   #7

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

If you want a live aboard slip, try San Leandro Marina. It is only about 1/3 full as sail boats have a hard time getting in and out due to draft requirements. Go in on high tide and enjoy.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 18:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If I had a slip in Sausalito I'd let somebody tie up their dink for $100 a month. If you got a job as a wine steward you could pay with wine.
I love this idea. The only trouble is, my boat has a 7 foot draft. The only person I indirectly know is in a house boat on the very North end. So a LONG trip to park there.

Still a grand plan for sure!
Old 01-07-2016, 18:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
If you want a live aboard slip, try San Leandro Marina. It is only about 1/3 full as sail boats have a hard time getting in and out due to draft requirements. Go in on high tide and enjoy.
They stopped accepting live aboards in 2012. Looks to me like an intentional plan to shut the place down through "natural" means.
Old 01-07-2016, 18:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
As of last check, a year or two ago, places like The UPS Store wanted the same proof that you are truly a legit. local, just like the Post Office does. Meaning; a Driver's Liscense w. addy, Utility Bill, etc.

So you'll need to check & see what hoops they want you to jump through in order to "get an address" there. IE; the insanity of needing an address in order to get one...
And yeah, major pain in the rear. But please let us know what you find out.

For the dinghy, when living on a mooring, I quickly found a new home for the outboard & inflatable. And switched to a couple of beater, hard dinghies & oars. It's either that, or the high $ dink & OB will grow legs.
2 dinks, if you can manage it, affords you a spare. And there are times when such is more than a luxury. Like when one's down for repairs, or your neighbor's is... The same neighbor who watches out for your & your stuff, & vice versa.

Each dink got a cable & lock, plus a hole through each oar blade large enough to let the end of the locking cable fit through. Also, either permanently affix your oarlocks to the oars, or carry them with you in your daily travels.
It's an 'adjustment'

My wheels were a reliable, but older, unobtrusive car. Which, fortunately, I had a good spot to park. And it was pretty much visible from the boat. Albeit a 10min+ row away, unless I was up for climbing the rocky seawall right in front of the car, & letting the dink beat itself up on same.
I like the minimalist/ take it with you approach here. Maybe I should look into a small enough boat to just load it on the truck and take the dinghy.

My inflatable is 12 feet with a 20hp. Maybe a bit of overkill I suppose.
Old 01-07-2016, 18:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
So a LONG trip to park there.
Still a grand plan for sure!
I must have your post confused with another. I thought you had a 20hp dink. I knew a guy who sailed to work in Richmond in a dinghy.
Old 01-07-2016, 18:59   #12

Quote:
I must have your post confused with another. I thought you had a 20hp dink. I knew a guy who sailed to work in Richmond in a dinghy.
My sailboat sleeps 7. So I bought a dinghy that holds 6. It's max HP is 20, and an old 20 in Colorado is pretty cheap. So here we are!

Granted it seems a bit excessive for a single person commuter, but if I load up the boat for the farallons?
Old 01-07-2016, 19:17   #13

Quote:
, but if I load up the boat for the farallons?
I don't think you can go ashore at the Farallons without permission. Fishermen anchor out there sometimes but it looks sketchy. Also you can cover Sausalito without much trouble in a 20hp dinghy.
Old 01-07-2016, 19:26   #14

Quote:
I don't think you can go ashore at the Farallons without permission. Fishermen anchor out there sometimes but it looks sketchy. Also you can cover Sausalito without much trouble in a 20hp dinghy.
It's a bit of a gas sucker. I should have gone smaller.
Old 01-07-2016, 19:39   #15

Quote:
It's a bit of a gas sucker. I should have gone smaller.
No way, gas is cheap. Speed rules. The only drawback to a big dink is weight.