Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 15:54   #46

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Re: The hook of Sausalito!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Go to the down town San Rafael marina. You can haul your boat and stay on one of the other boats there. Ask for Paul. he has a 36' wooden sailboat he is not using. .. Did you say you had a 7'draft?, the creek would be tricky
I just looked on Sailboat Data. Plus I always go long just in case. It's listed at 6.25 feet.
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:54   #47

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
If I drop anchor "in" Richardson Bay? It will be in the most Southern area. Somewhere near to Cone rock. Simply because my draft is 6.7 feet. I can't go in deeper, just due to depth.

I'd think that might help theft a little. Simply because I'll be farther out then the bulk of boats anchored out there.

It also means I'll be much more exposed!!
Never have regrets when leaving Sausalito after enjoying a restaurant. Totally tourist.

Old 02-07-2016, 16:44   #48

What happens if you just want to rent a slip, then......whoops......... you have some repairs that need to be made while you are there, and you start making them so you can leave for a passage? What will they do? Call a tug to pull you out of the slip and set you adrift in the Pacific?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 16:50   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
What happens if you just want to rent a slip, then......whoops......... you have some repairs that need to be made while you are there, and you start making them so you can leave for a passage? What will they do? Call a tug to pull you out of the slip and set you adrift in the Pacific?
That is kind of how I feel here. My current job in the bay, pays far more to start, then here in Colorado. However the price of a hole to sleep in will eat my entire pay check. If I could make that pay rate, and live in the boat, I could be out of there in a few months (don't tell my job!).

Yet instead everyone wants my boat, while nobody will allow me the slip to live in, while I fix it.

It's a well taxed snaffoo!!
Old 02-07-2016, 16:51   #50

Take your boat to the boatyard and have the boat repaired. Than go on your way. It's as simple as that. If you don't plan on returning to your slip, cancel the contract according to its terms.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:12   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

You can stay on your boat in various boatyards while you're doing the repairs DIY including Napa Valley Marina. At Napa they charge a daily fee when you're staying there, but it's not huge and you're going to be done quickly aren't you?

We've traveled through the Bay area many times since 2010 and stayed a month or so at various marinas with no problems--even marinas that don't take liveaboards. We leave and go other places up and down the coast of course. The key is you're renting a slip for a month (to get the monthly rate) and then you're moving on--to another Bay area marina or the South Pacific, it doesn't matter. No lingering and staying in one place forever. Nope. If the boat really needs work, the no-brainer solution is haul out, either pay for the work to be done or DIY and then, as MarkPierce says then go on your way
Old 02-07-2016, 17:16   #52

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Plenty of marinas allow live abords. Some have a quota and are full. Some charge exorbitant fees. You just have to methodically search out what will work for you
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 17:18   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
If I drop anchor "in" Richardson Bay? It will be in the most Southern area. Somewhere near to Cone rock. Simply because my draft is 6.7 feet. I can't go in deeper, just due to depth.

I'd think that might help theft a little. Simply because I'll be farther out then the bulk of boats anchored out there.

It also means I'll be much more exposed!!
We have a large boat and we like to swing on a single hook -- our draft is 6'4". We've anchored in the southern (well eastern/southern) bit of Richardson Bay for a few days and it's much rougher there than further in. It's fine if your boat has some heft to it. Not so fine otherwise.

It's sort of counterproductive for you to do the whole RB anchoring thing if you're trying to optimize your ability to both make money and DIY work on the boat. A Delta marina might be a much better choice.
Old 02-07-2016, 19:48   #54

I need a job, to afford the boat's needs (mostly the rigging)!!

Hauling the boat for the initial live aboard time isn't a bad plan. I know Napa allows it.

The rigging can be done with the boat in the water. Slowly as I can afford it.

Without a job? Forget the whole thing.

I work in electronic manufacturing. So not much work in the Delta. Granted I can find a slip easily. It's that hour plus commute to get money that makes me want something closer to the main bay area. Where jobs are plentiful.
Old 02-07-2016, 19:52   #55

Quote:
That is kind of how I feel here. My current job in the bay, pays far more to start, then here in Colorado. However the price of a hole to sleep in will eat my entire pay check. If I could make that pay rate, and live in the boat, I could be out of there in a few months (don't tell my job!).

Yet instead everyone wants my boat, while nobody will allow me the slip to live in, while I fix it.

It's a well taxed snaffoo!!
WADR, you are NOT listening!!!

If you want to fix your boat, folks have told you where to do so.

If you want to stay on your boat, folks have told you where to do so.

If you want to do both, folks have told you where to do so.

None of them are in Sausalito.

It's really that simple.

With proper planning of tides and the moon, you can get your deep draft boat almost anywhere there are places to do the work you envision. Even in a slip. If you're working on your rigging, you ain't gonna be sailing the boat, right? So what if your keel goes down into the mud during the two weeks it takes between full & new moon high tides?

I recommend you go back and reread this entire thread, ignore your own rantings, and make some choices.

It can, and HAS, been done already, or else folks wouldn't be telling you what, where and how.

It's up to you to choose the when.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 20:17   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Welcome to the bay area. Apartment rents are getting really crazy all over the bay and north bay area. I've lived on a boat here for 9 years. The last 6 years with $500-$600/ month income.

Most liveaboards NEVER take the boat out. If you take your boat out, which harbor masters like to see, your a full time cruiser, at least in their eyes.

Pretty sure Vallejo will take you, Just rent a slip and don't say the word liveaboard, say full time cruiser instead. The thing is, almost all marina's have some liveaboards in them. The TV satellite dishes on the docks, give it away.

Some of the marinas in the delta have a pretty low daily transient rate. That is monthly transient fee is no higher then slip and liveaboard fee at marina bay for example.

Calling about a liveaboard slip NEVER works.
This is the best plan I've seen. Thank you SailorChic34!!

I'll go through the various marinas with a different outlook, and see what I find.

I think the haul out might still be priority one. Simply because my two blade folding prop is kind of weak and worn. Plus my transducers are either horribly fouled, or all together bad.

At that point I think I'll claim the cruiser life and start the monthly (or so) move.
Old 03-07-2016, 18:40   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Welcome to the bay area. Apartment rents are getting really crazy all over the bay and north bay area. I've lived on a boat here for 9 years. The last 6 years with $500-$600/ month income.

Most liveaboards NEVER take the boat out. If you take your boat out, which harbor masters like to see, your a full time cruiser, at least in their eyes.

Pretty sure Vallejo will take you, Just rent a slip and don't say the word liveaboard, say full time cruiser instead. The thing is, almost all marina's have some liveaboards in them. The TV satellite dishes on the docks, give it away.

Some of the marinas in the delta have a pretty low daily transient rate. That is monthly transient fee is no higher then slip and liveaboard fee at marina bay for example.

Calling about a liveaboard slip NEVER works.

We're cruisers--yes all the time--and have never heard this term 'full time cruisers' used in the way you suggest. The marina is going to ask where you came from and where you're going soon unless you arrange for a short fixed time for the slip. 1 month 2 months that's it. You may extend once you're there but if you have an unseaworthy vessel or one in poor repair they'll see through your cruiser ruse quickly.

Cruisers go places--so you've got to keep moving or get a real liveaboard slip.

Best of luck to the op.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-07-2016, 18:53   #58

A cruising/liveaboard couple stayed over a year at Vallejo while the wife's injuries heald.
Old 03-07-2016, 21:51   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We're cruisers--yes all the time--and have never heard this term 'full time cruisers' used in the way you suggest.
The OP mentioned that he will take the boat sailing lots. Harbor masters hear the word "Liveaboard" and they assume the boat will be used as a floating home only, that NEVER leaves the dock Most liveaboards in marina's rarely goes anywhere. Least wise for the marinas I've visited.

So if the OP were to show that he uses the boat on the weekends ( at least every other week if not more, more is better), many harbor masters in the bay area (not all) will look more kindly to the OP living aboard / cruising.

Marina's are full of boats and people that never go anywhere. Sort of the land of broken dreams and sometimes a bit depressing. For the OP having a clean boat that is used lots, that is leaves the dock for the weekend or longer, will make the harbor master a bit more receptive to the OP living aboard.

As markperce mentioned, cruisers do stay for many months at a time and sometimes years as a transient. Much easier and for some marinas not much more cost then a slip + liveaboard fee.

Myself, well my anchor light has been on for 3 months now (well at night anyway). I find being anchored hither and yon far more enjoyable then being at a marina.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:32   #60
Marine Service Provider

The hook of Sausalito!

Quote:
The OP mentioned that he will take the boat sailing lots. Harbor masters hear the word "Liveaboard" and they assume the boat will be used as a floating home only, that NEVER leaves the dock Most liveaboards in marina's rarely goes anywhere. Least wise for the marinas I've visited.

So if the OP were to show that he uses the boat on the weekends ( at least every other week if not more, more is better), many harbor masters in the bay area (not all) will look more kindly to the OP living aboard / cruising.

Marina's are full of boats and people that never go anywhere. Sort of the land of broken dreams and sometimes a bit depressing. For the OP having a clean boat that is used lots, that is leaves the dock for the weekend or longer, will make the harbor master a bit more receptive to the OP living aboard.

As markperce mentioned, cruisers do stay for many months at a time and sometimes years as a transient. Much easier and for some marinas not much more cost then a slip + liveaboard fee.

Myself, well my anchor light has been on for 3 months now (well at night anyway). I find being anchored hither and yon far more enjoyable then being at a marina.

I agree about the dock master looking the other way if for any number of reasons they like the particular boater and his/her habits.

Cruisers who stay in one place a long time typically come in temporarily and put themselves on the liveaboard wait list or do what else is needed to get a LA slip. As we all know those wait lists aren't always first come first served.

If OP identifies himself as a ?full time? cruiser not seeking a liveaboard slip and then he just stays there as a liveaboard (sailing or not still a liveaboard taking up one of the precious BCDC limited 10%) he's not getting even ON the list... It's rather sketchy.

Someone with a boat in poor condition (OP says it is and it can't even be sailed right now and he's even concerned per the other thread about motoring) isn't going sailing. He has 2 dogs and will be leaving them on boat alone while working a needed job all day. That isn't going to endear him to any marina even ones filled with dog lovers. We don't know why his current marina isn't extending him a LA slip but hopefully he is realistic about whatever that reason is so he can overcome the same at any marina he might want to stay more than a couple months as a liveaboard.

It is so very easy to just move around marinas for a month here and a month or two yon in the Bay Area that he should have no real problem in a seaworthy boat being extended a LA slip by one of the marinas he visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum