Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 06:14   #1

The Grenadines

Hi, My family and I are chartering a monohaul out of Grenada for 10 days in June. We are wondering if anyone can give us some advice on what to expect. We are concerned about mooring balls and anchoring. We will probably only sail up and back to south or St Vincent. Places to go and avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave and Nikki
av8torx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:40   #2

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383
Re: The Grenadines

Don't miss Tobago Cays Marine Park, we (group of 8) spent two of our 7 nights there on a mooring. From Grenada you have to check into and out of Grenada / St. Vincent (Charter Co should fill you in). We also extended our stay after the charter on Grenada and visited much of the island for 2 more days, well worth it with hikes and a "tour" in a friendly and knowledgeable taxi driver. The winds were warm and very steady 10-20 all day and night, so slightly uphill one direction, down the other. We stayed to leeward (west) of islands as we passed to miss the swells. We chartered a cat, but I'm now working my way back there on my own monohull.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-11-2015, 07:52   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Yes to the Tobago Cays. Also, go as far north as Bequia. It is great. Don't go to St. Vincent. It has security issues. I was offered drugs every single time I went ashore there. Maybe a coincidence but it seemed sketchy to me.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 08:31   #4

Definitely worth a visit. Work with your charter company regarding security measures and use this information below to factor into your risk assessments of each anchorage you plan to visit. Definately go.... but "Know Before You Go"; then take the appropriate precautions recommended by your charter company and consistent with your own good judgement.

We wish you safe cruising.

Sort each column as you wish and use the search box to find anything.

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com...inidad-tobago/
CSSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:35   #5

Thanks for the great info! How do you lock a dingy and motor? We are relatively new to sailing. Are there many mooring balls in the Grenadines? We sailed the San Juans WA last summer and had to anchor often. Having to lock up a dingy sounds like a pain especially when you just pull it up to a beach etc. Thanks Dave
Old 28-11-2015, 09:53   #6

Don't worry about mooring balls. The grenadines are very easy to anchor in and you can even snorkel down to see your anchor if you want. Much easier than up here in the PNW.
I would ask the charter company about locking the dingy. You can take a long bike security cable and padlock with you if you want. It doesn't need to be Stainless steel for a 2 week trip.
Beware that once you leave Grenada for the Grenadines, the short open water stretch between can blow real hard at times, so be prepared to reef.
Entering the Tobago Cays there are a lot of coral heads, go slow and have someone on the bow.
Anyone remember where they have to check in at...? Union island?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:57   #7

Great! We are very excited for this trip. As far as provisioning goes. Do you have any recommendations on that. We are starting out of Grenada and just planned to stock up there.
Old 28-11-2015, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8torx View Post
Great! We are very excited for this trip. As far as provisioning goes. Do you have any recommendations on that. We are starting out of Grenada and just planned to stock up there.
Stock up well, not a lot of places to reprovision. You can get some stuff where you check in... no chart here, cant remember if that is Union Island.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 10:39   #9

Thanks! Do you think June in the windward islands will be ok weather? We were wondering how rainy it will be. The Bahamas in June were super dry.
Old 28-11-2015, 11:26   #10

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Lots of big Grocery stores on Grenada .Chances your boat willl be a Port Louis marina .the grocery store acroos the bay has a dinghy dock or if you have a lot of food they willl walk it over with you in the grocery carts . The tank water should be fine for drinking but if you have to buy bottles try and get big bottles . Dont miss Carriacou they have a history of drumming there that does not exist else were in the Caribbean and traditional boat building. The slipway Restaurant is fantastic. check into SVG at Clifton Harbour on Union. De reef in Bequia best sunday ever.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:14   #11

Here is a list of security precautions. See item 7 on how to lock a dink.

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com...-for-cruisers/
CSSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:35   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Be patient when dealing with the boat boys it doesn't pay to piss them off.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:38   #13

Great advice! Thanks
Old 29-11-2015, 05:58   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave & Nikki.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:10   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I don't think Union Island is safe.
Funnily enough I was just ashore (French bakery for Sunday treat!) and a friend informed me of an attack there a few months ago.
There's lots of other places to go.

Re supermarkets: there is one at the reference to Pt Louis Marina but take a bus down, return by taxi, to Spiceland Mall. Its the only real American style supermarket there.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote