Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 20:30   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: The Galley - Must haves, Don't Needs, Wish List

i found that what i used in my homes i use in my boat, as my boat is my home.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 20:42   #32

I have a wonderful cast aluminum fry pan with two small handles instead of one long one. Love it. Made by the predecessor to Calaphon. Can't find it now, but maybe someone else can........
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 21:43   #33

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinks14 View Post
...Any refits to your storage/cabinetry that you did that was a gamechanger?...
I'm a stickler on trying to make things functional and love storage that is easy to access and use.

We added an open...

...shelf above the fridge for cereal, crackers, cookies and other things that we store in the cheap plastic containers from Walmart.

We also add a ....

...storage unit above the sink and towards the bow to keep the dishes, bowls and silverware handy. If we are in extreme conditions that stuff can come down, but I think for most of the time, especially at anchor it will work fine.

I also didn't like all of the wasted space under the companionway so made a quick to remove unit there with ....

...drawers for utensils, food and odds and ends and ...

...another pull-out counter. We lived on the boat while making the changes and enjoyed each as it was completed. The galley is now a lot handier to use,

Sum

-----------------------------------

Our 26 MacGregor and Our 37 Endeavour and Our Trips
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 22:55   #34

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Sumner,

I like what you did here, and when I saw what you did with your Mac, I was really inspired to do some remodeling on my Nomad!

You do some nice boat work!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
I'm a stickler on trying to make things functional and love storage that is easy to access and use.

We added an open...

...shelf above the fridge for cereal, crackers, cookies and other things that we store in the cheap plastic containers from Walmart.

We also add a ....

...storage unit above the sink and towards the bow to keep the dishes, bowls and silverware handy. If we are in extreme conditions that stuff can come down, but I think for most of the time, especially at anchor it will work fine.

I also didn't like all of the wasted space under the companionway so made a quick to remove unit there with ....

...drawers for utensils, food and odds and ends and ...

...another pull-out counter. We lived on the boat while making the changes and enjoyed each as it was completed. The galley is now a lot handier to use,

Sum

-----------------------------------

Our 26 MacGregor and Our 37 Endeavour and Our Trips
Old 13-09-2012, 00:27   #35

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'll add that you should absolutely buy a vacuum pump to be able to vacuum-pack food. Don't go cheap - buy one that can take large bags. You'll end up vacuum packing a lot of other things besides food once you have it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 01:06   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys,

You've had a lot of feedback now. We're still using a 15-20 yr. old "French press" insulated coffee pot. But I'm here to mention that the fine sieves wear out on their perimeter, and I would buy spares--do not expect more than 3 yrs. per each. Absolutely a pressure cooker; we carry two. I bake bread in 'em when it's too hot for the oven. Yes, good knives, and sharp. A friend of ours' steak knife saved her husband's leg one time.

When we left to go cruising, we carried a minimum; I found that I added what I wanted as we went along. I don't think one can ever imagine ALL the changes, and cruising is an interactive process. For instance, we tried lots of different "passage meals", easy to reheat dishes. This led to the acquisition of a lasagne pan, suitable for cooking roasts and other casserole type dishes.

Cruising is an extremely individual pursuit. We use glass glasses (with secure stowage), but not crystal, I buy cheap glasses (not more than $2 per glass) and replace them when "too many" are broken, I buy a new batch. Use pottery or Corelle plates. As Zeehag says, the boat's your home. Bring what you like best. Don't cast off old friends.
And although you can use an empty wine bottle, I like a rolling pin better for pie crusts, and some breads that require making thin.

The big deal, IMO, is to enjoy the process.

Ann Cate
S/V Insatiable II, lying Manly, Qld., Aus.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 01:37   #37

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Just setting up our 32 this season. Always being pretty close to shore power, added a fridge and forgetting we have an ice box. Keeping the fridge full of water in areas that would be empty, means we can sail several hours and not raise the temp inside. Also added a microwave.

My wife and I are fans of ceramic kitchen knives. They work so easy and stay sharp. We also use Corelle plates to cook on in the microwave.

On a sailboat, waterless is usually better than using water, and cast iron cookware cleans up pretty well with a paper towel and some cooking oil. We use small ones, limits portion size and we serve the food in the skillet like village inn. Serving this way, also helps get the skillet clean.

We prefer the rim cutting can openers so the can is used as the leftover container. We keep a small roll of plastic shrink wrap 3" wide that we wrap the can in, makes it spill proof. Keeps the whole fridge from smelling like tuna. Handy for the next meal and one less container to store or clean
Old 14-01-2017, 00:24   #38

I've followed the following blogger and find some of her ideas practical. She appears to have the experience.
https://theboatgalley.com/
lrlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 04:36   #39

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I think most of my points have been covered by now, but I'll reiterate them anyway.

- Take from home all that you like & use. You'll regret it otherwise, and there is no need to 'camp' on a boat that size.
- Take your good knives, & pots, and pans. But if you had every size of every item, you might consider paring that down a bit. Knife guards are helpful if you don't have a knife block or similar safe storage.
- A French Press works well. But not as well as a Nespresso. Power be damned; some things are important. (if you've got the electrical ability.)
- Don't feel constrained to plastic, but it does have a place on board. I have & use both china & plastic. Corelle is an excellent solution, but don't go & buy new to replace something you already have and use now.

In short, assume what you've done on land will work on board; then adjust if required.

Have fun! The adventure is beginning!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 06:01   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lrlobo.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 06:04   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Galley - Must haves, Don't Needs, Wish List

A good Grinder..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 04:33   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

LOL,- Press & Grind? We don't press or grind anything in the galley. Our more important galley items are can openers & plastic containers for left-overs.
'simple needs for those blessed with a vulgar palate!
Old 15-01-2017, 04:51   #43

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Gotta' have my cleaver. It chops, dices, slices, peels, tenderizes, & probably a dozen other things. Indispensible. With a nice patina from decades of age, & grand meals prepared. Sharpens up like nothing else, too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 05:22   #44

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A good Grinder..
A question on this. What do you do in terms of maint. on the grinder in order to keep it free from the ravages of corrosion? Since some of them have a good number of steel, & aluminum parts. Which, if said parts get oiled, then ground grains will clump & stick to said corrosion preventative, non?
Though I know that some metal bits, much like my carbon steel cleaver, both take on a protective patina with time. And are kept corrosion free (mostly) by frequent use.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 05:28   #45

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
LOL,- Press & Grind? We don't press or grind anything in the galley. Our more important galley items are can openers & plastic containers for left-overs.
'simple needs for those blessed with a vulgar palate!
Ha ha! I've been working on simplifying my palate! I always say "we eat simply" but I found myself a bit overwhelmed attempting to cook some favorites on our "new" boat. On our old boat we were only out for a week and cooked camp style meals. But our new boat is our home so I attempted meals like I normally cooked at home.

Funny enough the issue isn't the cooking, it's the clean up! One little bitty sink makes the chore harder.

I'm also trying to develop a liking for instant coffe, black. This would really cut down on time spent chasing coffee and cream. And storing the stuff! So far, no dice! I have found Oro brand coffee OK, but but.....so we stopped at Costco and bought 15 lbs more coffee. Am I hopeless?

Tags
galley