Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2015, 18:07   #31

Boat: csy 37
Re: The £200 Millionaire: Buy a boat for 4738 € + live on board with monthly 375 €

Hey Sailorchic! Dont tell these guys you only take a shower when you go into a marina.... twice a month!

Just kidding. Some of them dont know about boat showers....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 18:11   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: The £200 Millionaire: Buy a boat for 4738 € + live on board with monthly 375 €

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Hey Sailorchic! Dont tell these guys you only take a shower when you go into a marina.... twice a month!

Just kidding. Some of them dont know about boat showers....
Sniff, sniff... whats that smell.

OH I shower on the boat too, using a 1/2 gallon solar shower. But having unlimited hot water is a luxury I afford myself about twice a month. When it's cooler I heat water first on the stove. Yes Sirie, I am so Up town....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 18:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
wowh.... yeah, very impressive and inspiring this story.
When I was 15 years old and thought I would sail around the world in my own little boat when I grew up, I decided to name it Victoria. After the Nuhestra Senhora de la Victoria, the only ship in Magellans fleet to complete the journey and the first known to have sailed around the world.

But life happened. Didnt get my first sailboat till I was in my thirties, what with wife, kids, job, house, dog, cat.... As Zorba the Greek called it, "the whole catastrophe". Just kidding, wifey dear.

But after reading that essay I feel quite content to do all the things I have done and sailed to all the places I went in my little corner of the world, "one step" at a time.
Old 15-09-2015, 18:32   #34

Have a solar shower but prefer the pump up garden sprayer. I am convinced it uses less water but no scientific evidence.
Old 15-09-2015, 18:38   #35

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
But after reading that essay I feel quite content to do all the things I have done and sailed to all the places I went in my little corner of the world, "one step" at a time.
You know the Banana boat ??? I suppose one can buy for less than 500 US dollars originally produced in Sweden or Denmark.

Thats a tiny little something, foldable you can sail (or maybe we call it drifting) to such little corners.

Packed into small...

There is a guy living in Finland who does excursions in his "little banana boat". - A very funny guy (from Germany)... doing with that thing amazing trips... over night on the beach in a small tent like camping.

Here with ENG subtitle... I love his comments and precisely documentations

Some other vids in his YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXh...p7O0FtZ2sb6C2Q
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 18:48   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Have a solar shower but prefer the pump up garden sprayer. I am convinced it uses less water but no scientific evidence.
Oh, I use a garden sprayer too. Its the better solar shower
Old 16-09-2015, 04:25   #37

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Hi Chris,

Most people would be surprised to know that there were air raids in London and other British towns during the Great War. These were carried out by Zeppelins and aircraft, and killed just over 550 people. The casualties were low when contrasted with those of WWII. More likely the loss came from disease or hardship. In particular, the great flu pandemic, aka Spanish Flu, claimed millions at the end of the war. In fact, many consider the outbreak to be a factor in bringing the war to an end.

Ah. I'd forgotten about the Zeppelins, and maybe just didn't know about "other aircraft" missions. Thanks for the additional background, too.

-Chris
Old 16-09-2015, 05:43   #38

Yes, as armydave mentioned, there were Gotha twin engined bombers employed near the end of the war, but the end of the German army was brought on by the onset of the Spanish Flu epidemic, which killed maybe 20 million worldwide, including the USA.

By 1918 the German army, as well as all of Germany, were on the edge of starvation. Their soldiers were in poor health and unable to fight the disease. Many surrendered to the Allies simply to get food. And the appearance on the Western Front of millions of fresh soldiers from America didnt help their morale either. In the last weeks of the war many German soldiers simply refused to fight any more, got up from their trenches, and marched back home - without orders from their officers.
Old 16-09-2015, 05:53   #39

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

"Never heard of a yacht club with kitchen being available... thats great !"

Hi JayR

Thanks for sharing that link. That is a very nice marina.

Many yacht clubs here have nice facilities, but not like this. They are more of a club. Some have a staffed restaurant and bar and others just have a bar and kitchen. The bar is staffed with club members occasionally and the kitchen is usually used by the members. In particular, many clubs around me (New York, NY) have Wednesday evening and Saturday racing. Often, after the races the members fire up the stoves and ovens and make food.

As I mentioned earlier, around here the typical club charges between $2,000 and $3,000 per year for membership. This includes a launch service which makes a big difference. It's almost like being at a marina since the it is so easy to bring things to and from the boat. The launch service usually ends around 23:00 so a dinghy is required after that.

One acquaintance has three storage units at his club and pays $180 PER YEAR! My traditional storage unit is now $195 per month. The big difference is that my unit is climate controlled and on the second floor. Theirs are subject to water damage is there is a serious storm surge, say over 10 or 15 feet (3 to 4 meters).
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:32   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I own a 1972 Islander 34 that I purchased in 2007 for $11500. I put another $10K into it with new plumbing, electrical, running rigging, etc, etc. I've lived aboard for 8 years on this boat full time. Though the first 4 years were mostly in marina's.

My monthly costs break down to:

$200 Food
$60 food and cat litter for Dekat. Expensive cat.....
$10 entertainment -Kindle unlimited, I read a bit.
$25 phone (Not a smart phone)
$50 internet (cell hot spot - sweet)
$8 boat insurance ($100 a year)
$120 marina costs, I pull into marina's to shop, shower, laundry, etc. Makes for a busy day or two, twice a month. Some months only $60
$40 Diesel, Small boat, small Diesel, 12 mpg+/-
$10 Gas, $0 in summer, for the genny on cloudy days
$5 propane, $30+ in winter.
$45 autocad fee (I work from the Boat doing engineering part time)
$20-35 maintenance.
Clothing/ sundries $6, I shop at the better goodwills.

So right around $600 a month in costs on average. If I make a bit more I spend it on the boat. I've installed a new stove ($280 including shipping) as the 40 year old one finally gave up the ghost last fall, batteries ($400 ouch), another solar panel ($112) in the last year. But those costs get amortized over a few years too.

My big goal is saving up $1500 for a haul out. That's going to take another year.

Currently I'm anchored in the California Delta (Love the Delta except when it's over 95 degrees, and have been for most of the last 3 months. I'll be heading back to the Central SF bay in a bit to annoy the fine folks there for a while and check in with my anchor out friends in Richardson Bay.

Hope to get to back to the east coast but need to wait 2 more years for SS to kick in. I need a reliable internet connection to earn freedom chips, for the time being. Then I'll be living High on the hog with $1200+ a month after taxes and fees. Then I could travel a bit more.
$200 for food?

San Francisco must be expensive. Do you not have an Aldi's there? I rarely get to $150 a month, usually around $120, and that includes the toiletries, and other non food items. And that is in either US or Canadian dollars, and don't forget that our Canadian dollar when I'm up here is 30% less than the US dollar now and most of our produce comes from Mexico or California.

I am intrigued how to cheat your boat insurance is, and could you advise which insurance company it is through? I've been having trouble getting reasonable liability insurance that the marinas require.

I WISH I could get away with your monthly maintenance budget.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-09-2015, 07:38   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sniff, sniff... whats that smell.

OH I shower on the boat too, using a 1/2 gallon solar shower. But having unlimited hot water is a luxury I afford myself about twice a month. When it's cooler I heat water first on the stove. Yes Sirie, I am so Up town....
One thing we learned in the bush when hunting that works well is hot water warmed over the camp fire, mixed with vinegar, and then sponge bath quickly because it's usually cold outside. Rinse off with straight water with no vinegar added, and it gets you clean and smell free. Very little water used, and of course one doesn't have to worry about soap residue. The critters didn't seem to mind it.

Seems to work for shampooing your hair also.

Old 16-09-2015, 11:58   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Care to share a sample menu for eating on less than $4 per day? Do you eat all rice one day and all lentils the next?
Old 16-09-2015, 12:54   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Care to share a sample menu for eating on less than $4 per day? Do you eat all rice one day and all lentils the next?
Morning: oatmeal with apple or banana 29 days at least out of the month

Lunch: 2 slices whole wheat bread - home made, no butter or margarine, egg, onion garnish, apple or banana - virtually every day.

Supper: salad, which may consist of chickpeas or fava beans, broccoli or cauliflower, lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, onion, tofu, carrot - raw and shredded, juice of half a lime, a slice of Moroccan lemon, olive oil, perhaps 1/2 a mango, 3-4 times a week

2-3 times a week that might be supplemented with some chicken or a pork chop. I will buy a chicken, and cut it up so that each breast supplies two meals, the legs one each, the thighs one each, the wings one and the carcass for soup. I buy a pork loin at Costco or equivalent, and cut it up into pork chops, and I usually get 14 to 18 / loin.

I might have another fruit and one square of chocolate in the evening.

If I'm lucky and got a deer for the season, I will forgo the pork chops and eat venison instead. That's not really cheaper, as it costs to go hunting.

For variety, I make a stir fry with or without meat. Oh and I like my spices, and use them frequently to put variety into all the meals.

Rice? Haven't made any rice for over 3 months. Occasionally I will cook up a bit of spaghetti to add to the salad along with Thai spices, again for variety.

Just in case you think I'm a small guy, I'm not. I'm almost 6'5, and weigh 230 +.

I don't drink, so alcohol costs are not an issue, and rarely go out to eat in a restaurant.

As with anything in life, its choices. It works for me.

And that's how one can eat $120-150 a month. And it's healthy. I buy virtually no processed food of any kind, with the exception being the odd jar of yogurt, some condiments like mustard, some canned fish like sardines occasionally, and some canned vegetables.

Old 16-09-2015, 13:47   #44

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
healthy self discipline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
As with anything in life, its choices. It works for me.

And that's how one can eat $120-150 a month. And it's healthy. I buy virtually no processed food of any kind, with the exception being the odd jar of yogurt, some condiments like mustard, some canned fish like sardines occasionally, and some canned vegetables.
wowh, avb3... bravo !

I have thought, that I keep a simple and healthy life (Rec.: I handle it with 6 Euros = 6.77 US dollars per day inclusive all other parts, e.g. for cleaning, personal hygiene (shaving, hair shampoo, toiletries etc. ...).

But you do it very well.. e.g. my breakfast is just coffee... and I have late night dinner (which is not very healthy).

How you bring up all the discipline with 29 bananas per months over long time ???

When I buy a chicken, and I grill it in the stoven, its gone completly. I dont have that discipline, indeed.

Hunting sounds great... but I cant hunt. Dont have a hunter licence. I tried it to be Vegetarian... it worked during my times as students with lots of TOFU, soybean sprouts.
When I should start a living on a boat in 2016 I suppose I should learn "fishing". Mostly its healthy and cheap.

Till today I dont drink alcohol, no smoking.. and I dont drink other unhealthy and overprized stuff like Coke, power drinks etc. ... same I avoid white bread, instead eat dark bread (a speciality in Germany).

But coffee and wine gummies I am too heavily adicted *laugh*

Since weeks I miss to get my beloved Tortilla chips in supermarket. Today I bought all ingredients for home made ones... I suppose its more healthy, too.... and very easy done. :-)

Easy home made...

Salsa made in 2 minutes...

... in comparison Food Factory production. Doestn look so healthy, right ?
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 15:21   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
$200 for food?

San Francisco must be expensive. Do you not have an Aldi's there? I rarely get to $150 a month, usually around $120, and that includes the toiletries, and other non food items. And that is in either US or Canadian dollars, and don't forget that our Canadian dollar when I'm up here is 30% less than the US dollar now and most of our produce comes from Mexico or California.

I am intrigued how to cheat your boat insurance is, and could you advise which insurance company it is through? I've been having trouble getting reasonable liability insurance that the marinas require.

I WISH I could get away with your monthly maintenance budget.

AH, California is a little spending on little luxury's like food and fuel, housing and taxes. A single bedroom apartment in SF is over $4000/month and only $1400 in the north bay. Plus almost 9 percent sales tax, a really high fuel tax, etc. So for California $200 a month for food is really good really That's with hamburger and canned chicken too. No steak/seafood, etc. Dekat eats better then me.

I have a cheap liability policy from one of the on line insurance folks. Of course I did not tell them I used my boat every day. But then I only use it for pleasure. It's a cheap boat and most boats never move in a year. Funny how mine moves several days a week.

Generally maintenance is pretty low. It's a simple boat with very simple systems. Most years I'm around $300-$400 for maintenance, last year was a biggy year as I had some big ticket (for me $200-$400 is huge) items. But I had a small windfall last year too. Ebay is my friend for keeping costs low(er)

Of course I need to get the bottom painted sometime real soon now. It's 6 years now since the last haul out. I'm hoping to haul next spring, assuming the money fairy pays me a visit sometime. Of course I still have almost a gallon of bottom paint from the last time. The manufacturer said it's still good, just needs a good shaking. Only takes 1.25 gallons to do 2-1/2 coats (two coats and a third at the water line down 24")