Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 08:31   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
That damp feeling...

I've recently moved aboard my boat and I love it - except one thing. My boat is dry, no leaks and no water in bilge. Not sure what the humidity is but it doesn't feel high. I always keep a few ports open all the time and get a good breeze thru the boat. I'm berthed in Port Townsend, Wa. That said, the sheets on my bed always "feel" slightly damp. Same with my cotton robe.

The cushions in the cabin do not feel damp. They are polyester. The sheets are cotton. I'm wondering what to do about this. Would microfiber sheets be better?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:56   #2

Re: That damp feeling...

Yep. I lived aboard for years here in the PNW. Sometimes, if we removed our mattress the underlying plywood panels would be so wet it had standing water you had to remove with a sponge. I think it's due to body heat sleeping and cold sea water creating the moisture under. We eventually cored the ply panels with round holes like swiss cheese. Then we put the Dri Dek vinyl squares under the mattress. This helped some. But wait until winter! it'll be really wet then.
I would think doing the above and then adding an in and out ventilation under the berth with a computer fan might be good.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:58   #3
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

We live in a damp area and just by virtue of breathing while on board you will be "creating" humidity. I run an electric dehumidifier on the boat and while I don't live aboard it does keep the inside feeling much drier. May want to give one of those a try
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I find that sheets washed with scented detergent and dried with dryer sheets always feel damp and clingy. Get rid of the smelly stuff if you use it and it may help.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

moisture problem inside your boat and want to fix it?
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...fix-it.168459/
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 13:03   #6

Here's your solution, Cheechako... Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 13:49   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here are some good tips from wr_wrangell's blog, they live in SE Alaska, & so know about onboard dampness. Denali Rose: Search results for froli
Oh, & the advice already offered is excellent, plus if you want more tips, do a search under condensation. And you might consider insulating your boat. I've written about it's virtues many times. Including doing a heat loss survey of your boat with a thermal imager, much as one does with a house.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:02   #8
SFS

It's also about the fabric. 100% cotton will always feel damp, as it absorbs the moisture and attendant salt in the air (and the salt on your skin if you go swimming before bed without rinsing off in fresh water). Once the cotton is "salted" it will attract more moisture, and never be dry. Switch to sheets (and a robe) that have a significant synthetic component. It makes a big difference.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 22:56   #9

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Here is one more vote for electric dehumidifier.. if you can power it.
But don't bother with the tiny ones which do a half liter per day... You'll need 5-10 liters per day (that's for a 30'-50' boat in the tropics anyway).
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 00:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The best way to beat the damp in the PNW is changing the air. Cooking, breathing, showering all add moisture to the boat. Add a powered vent for the shower and a range hood that's vented and you'll eliminate much of the problem. Many people in the area use dehumidifiers. I like having a some type of combustion heater, like a wood or diesel stove. The fire draws inside air and it's replaced with outside air that usually has less moisture.
In the winter, I'm on the Columbia River near the coast and my sheets don't get damp, I don't have a robe anymore, but my clothes stay dry, cheap zippers and snaps don't rust.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 15:30   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ventilation is mandatory.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 16:02   #12

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I find that sheets washed with scented detergent and dried with dryer sheets always feel damp and clingy. Get rid of the smelly stuff if you use it and it may help.
+1

Use of conditioner on sheets and towels tends to stop the thread drying out properly. As a result they absorb moisture more readily and tend to act as a base for mould growth (stinky towel syndrome). Conditioner ultimately 'freys' the outer filaments of the thread/weave to create that soft/supply feeling but also doesn't wash out as readily as you'd think - holding moisture in the thread.

You can fix the sheets by washing with vinegar and then another wash with soda. That'll remove and latent conditioner and kill off any mould in the fibers.

...and as Zee stated, ventilation is mandatory!

Sent from mTalk
Old 14-08-2017, 19:49   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
It's also about the fabric. 100% cotton will always feel damp, as it absorbs the moisture and attendant salt in the air (and the salt on your skin if you go swimming before bed without rinsing off in fresh water). Once the cotton is "salted" it will attract more moisture, and never be dry. Switch to sheets (and a robe) that have a significant synthetic component. It makes a big difference.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 19:55   #14

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
+1

Use of conditioner on sheets and towels tends to stop the thread drying out properly. As a result they absorb moisture more readily and tend to act as a base for mould growth (stinky towel syndrome). Conditioner ultimately 'freys' the outer filaments of the thread/weave to create that soft/supply feeling but also doesn't wash out as readily as you'd think - holding moisture in the thread.

You can fix the sheets by washing with vinegar and then another wash with soda. That'll remove and latent conditioner and kill off any mould in the fibers.

...and as Zee stated, ventilation is mandatory!

Sent from mTalk
I heard a podcast once, so can't quote the source, that said people use way too much soap in their laundry, which is a food source for mold and that's why you get that dank smell. Add in cotton as the substance and you not only have a constant food source from soap, but a nice organic living space that mold loves. I absolutely love my fleece sheets! They never feel cold or clammy. I really need to get rid of my down comforters, too, but some things die hard
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 20:26   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use cotton jersey sheets. love em. never feel damp. my boat is wet and i only use cotton, due to allergies. all natural fibers. i also have cotton flannel sheets i love. also never feel damp. \i donot use fabric softener, is an allergen. and i make sure all is rinsed at least twice.
i have lived on board boats since 1990, wet bilges, no dampness of sheets or bedding.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote