Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2020, 10:03   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Texas or Florida better living abroad?

Texas or Florida better living abroad?

My wife is from Philippines and we will probably go there after 5-7 years for a while. Might sail there on our boat.

Which state is better living abroad?

Florida has no income tax.
Texas has easier home-school laws — this alone makes Texas sound good to me.

I lived in Florida for a while when I was a child, so somewhat familiar and our boat is there now.

What are some other considerations and which do you think would be better?
Old 26-09-2020, 10:11   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Texas or Florida better living abroad?

Texas has no state income tax either, so you're up one with the home schooling.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 26-09-2020, 10:31   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive lived in/lived aboard in both TX/FL. Some of the locations a VERY different. Example, Port Arthur, TX is a different world than South Beach Miami !

Can you narrow down the venues a little? Like roughly where in TX & FL? .

And what you are looking for in a liveaboard venue?
Old 26-09-2020, 11:03   #4

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Texas has an open-carry law. Personally, I would never live in or even visit a state that allows high school dropouts to strap AR-15s on their back while shopping or walking down the street. I live in Florida, which unfortunately issues concealed weapons permits, but at least does not allow thugs to intimidate people with unnecessary display of assault weapons. Also, the sailing is better on the west coast of Florida and in the Keys.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:25   #5

Boat: Morgan 41 oi

Been to Texas quite a bit never saw people shopping with assault rifles. Crime is worse in FL but I suppose if people there start shopping with assault rifles stepped on it would go down. If you don't like guns don't get one duh
Old 26-09-2020, 11:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack2465 View Post
Been to Texas quite a bit never saw people shopping with assault rifles. Crime is worse in FL but I suppose if people there start shopping with assault rifles stepped on it would go down. If you don't like guns don't get one duh

...but I suppose if people there start shopping with assault rifles stepped on it would go up. Gee, I guess the guys with guns can't be ALL good guys...

I think the point was " If you don't like guns..." you shouldn't have to be exposed to idiots who "wear" them around in public. There have been many thoughtful skippers on this forum who do like guns, but use them responsibly and don't flaunt it by lugging them around in public.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-09-2020, 12:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive lived in/lived aboard in both TX/FL. Some of the locations a VERY different. Example, Port Arthur, TX is a different world than South Beach Miami !

Can you narrow down the venues a little? Like roughly where in TX & FL? .

And what you are looking for in a liveaboard venue?
I know Florida and currently have my sailboat there, but I've only been two Texas twice... well unless you count the times I've been in the airports... then its dozens.

Corpus Christi came up in search results and knew someone from there who said it was very nice... other than that I'm clueless on TX.

Looking for ease of renewing boat taxes, stickers, etc etc while abroad. Low taxes. Living abroad and calling it home. Ease with all the difficulties that provides. Homeschooling is a big one. Another bonus I know about TX is Korean Air, which I almost always use to fly to Philippines flies non stop from TX. Florida I would have to hop to TX first to catch flight.

Other things I don't even know about?
Old 26-09-2020, 12:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I have not noticed that people who want to home school in Florida have any trouble doing so, even in my rural county. Several of our friends have gone that route.

The much more important question is the basic community. Do you want a city or a village? Somewhere between? I like village life, and when we were living on board being able to walk across the street to hardware, groceries, and a decent bar. We lack a bunch of city amenities that may be important to you, but get a compactness in exchange. What are you looking for?
Old 26-09-2020, 13:03   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Wow, just wow.........

Don't think I've ever seen a thread devolve so quickly..........

The anti gunners are out in force............ even when it hasn't even been brought up in the thread.

Carrying a gun is like carrying a stapler, it doesn't do anything unless you push it............

Afraid of staplers.......... don't buy one.

My advice for those afraid of such things, should move to Chicago. It's working out so well for them...................

Advice to the OP, don't know anything about the situation in TX, but here in Florida, it is becoming much more difficult to find a place to liveaboard, plan ahead.
Old 26-09-2020, 13:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Wow, just wow.........

Don't think I've ever seen a thread devolve so quickly..........

The anti gunners are out in force............ even when it hasn't even been brought up in the thread.

Advice to the OP, don't know anything about the situation in TX, but here in Florida, it is becoming much more difficult to find a place to liveaboard, plan ahead.
Thank you. Already have my boat in live aboard marina in Florida so that is not a worry.

What I'm asking is which is best place to have residence while living abroad.

Using Abeka which is licensed in Florida, Texas homeschool seems much easier. If I'm in middle of Pacific and local super entendent wants to audit that might mean a flight back to Florida.

And yes, I didn't mention anything about guns, this thread is not about guns. It's about which is better for having residency while living abroad on a boat.
Old 26-09-2020, 13:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I have not noticed that people who want to home school in Florida have any trouble doing so, even in my rural county. Several of our friends have gone that route.

The much more important question is the basic community. Do you want a city or a village? Somewhere between? I like village life, and when we were living on board being able to walk across the street to hardware, groceries, and a decent bar. We lack a bunch of city amenities that may be important to you, but get a compactness in exchange. What are you looking for?
I'm a country boy. I'm happy in rural or small towns avoid cities like the plague...

Looking for which is better to have residency while traveling abroad. Have one school age child and one baby almost out that will probably be in homeschool by time I actually travel to the Pacific. So will have two in homeschool then.

I'm familiar/comfortable in most small town/rural Florida. Don't know anything about Texas other than will be much easier to homeschool abroad. Looking for pluses and minuses from those who have gone abroad... where they keep their residency.
Old 26-09-2020, 13:20   #12

Boat: Antigua 44

I have lived on the east coast of FL for about 15 years and am now on the hard on the west coast in Port Charolette. I am impressed with the chill nature of Placadia and Port Charolette, the cost of housing is less than where I am and they get less hurricanes, much less, than the east coast where I am.

Florida is also open, no covid restrictions at this time ... I am sure that is gasoline on a fire for some, but I am hopeful it works out.
Old 27-09-2020, 08:26   #13

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Geez, I thought both Florida and Texas were still part of the USA. I admit to sleeping late but did they secede overnight?
Old 27-09-2020, 08:39   #14

I'm planning on living aboard and currently in the Tampa area. I lived in Texas for over 40 years and like it there! I've been researching live-aboard options in both states and Texas by far is less expensive. two advantages for Florida are proximity to wonderful places to go and hurricane protection is better IMO. Wish you and your family the best in your future endeavors!!!
Old 27-09-2020, 08:41   #15

Boat: Beneteau 343

I lived in TX for 24 years and FL now for 5+. The sailing is far better IMHO in FL. But I do miss a lot that TX offers; much much better work ethic, generally better run local governments, better business climate depending on where you are, easier to get honest work done. These are huge sweeping generalizations. I miss TX but I am not going back except to visit and do some work. If I was working full time I might prefer TX.

In terms of locations, live aboard in Kemah Clear Lake area has its pluses; close to huge city, airports, and lots of business. Sailing water sucks though you get used to it. Corpus is ok but not sure sailing is much better there.

FL gulf coast is far different than Fort Drunkerdale and Miami. I’d pick Tampa - Fort Myers area if I wanted to optimize.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, texas