Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 10:12   #1

Texas Coast Boatyards (and my autobiography, apparently)

(Scroll down to bold text if you don't want to read the intro. You're welcome.)

Hi there! I'm new here, and as my name may suggest to you, I do not have a single clue what I am doing! Fear not-- what I lack in knowledge, I make up for in sheer stubbornness and stupid decisions.

So, here is my situation: I do not currently own a boat, but I am looking to rectify that problem in short order. I am in the process of selling off my horses and related equipment so that we (me, my husband, and our very large dog) can buy a ~30 footer to sail off into the sunset. There are some caveats to this plan (like, we've never sailed before, etc... lol!) and I will be asking a million questions in the future. So don't despair- you will be hearing more from me! A lot more. I promise. For the moment, I am still in the process of trying to figure out costs and all that practical hooey.

My question for all of you much more experienced people is this: Where, along the Texas coast (specifically, from Freeport to Port Arthur if at all possible), can we have whatever boat we decide on parked on the hard AND live in it on a temporary basis while we prepare the boat (and ourselves) to go in the water?

I know this is a "thing"- every sailing vlog I've watched shows this done at some point . I just don't know who to call and what to ask them. So here I am, asking you! This isn't a service I have been able to find on the websites of any of the marinas I have looked up- possibly because I don't fully understand what I am looking for?

Well, that is my first question here, and I hope that some of you have some suggestions!

*For the record, we will be actually learning to sail on a local lake in a small open sailboat that I have been given and are hoping to be ready to take on this new liveaboard adventure by roughly this time next year! Gotta sell those ponies first!
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:35   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Texas Coast Boatyards (and my autobiography, apparently)

it may be a thing, but not a good thing.

I've only seen it done in back yards of homes, some rented most owned.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:55   #3

That is another option we are considering since we do own our home and land. I'm just trying to explore them all.
Old 28-06-2019, 14:14   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, notaclue,

Big dogs do not do well on small boats in a seaway. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is hard to safely get them aboard and into a dinghy for a trip ashore. It is hard for them to retain their balance, and even if you kept the dog below, dog feet are not well adapted to the slippery surface a cabin sole represents. It's no kind of life for a big dog to be incarcerated all the time, especially one who has roamed free with you on horseback.

There may not be a satisfactory solution. Giving up the dog might be a heartbreaker that one might never fully get over, sort of depends on how you feel about animal friends, and on the home you could find for it. It is a VERY tough one, good luck with it.

Sorry to re-frame your search for a live-aboard hardstand situation, but to me, the dog issue could be a deal breaker.

Ann
Old 28-06-2019, 17:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Texas Coast Boatyards (and my autobiography, apparently)

People act as if I threw out a child or something, but we found our Lab a home, she is now 130 lbs and would never have made it on the boat. We took her out one weekend so that our Daughter could see that it wasn’t going to work as it was her dog, and she needed to see that it just wasn’t workable. Dog is happy and with friends so we know how she is doing.
Dog stayed in the cockpit, was overheated and trapped basically, then later fell in and had to be rescued, it worked fine cause we were in a Marina and being a lab in salt water she floated and swam fine, but if it had been at sea, I don’t think we could have gotten her back aboard.
What we did was lever her out on a neighboring power boats swim platform.

Now if you get a big boat, say 50’, power boats are better and live in a Marina and make it so that there is a walkway to get the dog on and off, then likely it will be OK.
Need a big boat though with no companionway stairs.

30’ sailboat, you need a little lap dog
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 19:19   #6

Thumbs down Re: Texas Coast Boatyards (and my autobiography, apparently)

While I do appreciate everyone's concerns, I was not asking for advice on my dog. You guys have made an awful lot of assumptions here on that topic and although I am sure it comes from a place of concern, it is not necessary. OBVIOUSLY if the dog doesn't work out on the boat, he will be staying at home (my land home). I won't be "finding him another home". I really didn't give you enough information about our plans to make the determination that I need to get rid of my dog, so umm, please stop.

Now, if you know of any marinas or boat yards that fit my description, that would have been appreciated. However...

I've read through several of the forums here and frankly I find this to be a rather negative place. It seems like for every question and every situation, someone on here has an insult or a "can't" and no offense, but that is exactly why I am buying a boat- to get away from that kind of atmosphere. So I won't be coming back to this forum. It's not the place for me. Cheers!
Old 28-06-2019, 20:14   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, it WAS you who brought the dog and its size into the picture, and its presence surely affects the advice we'd be giving.

Ann and I have lived aboard while on the hard doing projects, but always in a larger boat than what you propose. It is damn hard yakka in our experience, and we've lived aboard for over 30 years, so that part is normal for us. Do consider the joy of climbing a fifteen foot ladder every time you need to go to the head, to get a tool, or just to sit down and rest a moment. Add in the boat, a small living space to start out with, is now in total disarray due to the refit projects underway. Tools and equipment must be stowed away every night before bed and regained in the morning. We have found it unpleasant at best and to generate very slow progress whilst you suffer! I assume that the dog would not be in the picture during this time, for getting it up and down from the boat would not be feasible.

In our part of the world living aboard on the hard is usually tolerated but is discouraged by most yards. Insurance and security are the reasons oft presented and in the USA both of those subjects tend to loom large in marina attitudes, so I dunno if you'll find much acceptance. I'd suggest going in person to investigate if you decide to carry on. Showing up looking tidy and prosperous is more likely to result in a good reception than an email or phone call.

Now, about your reaction to the responses you've received: this is an internet chat forum. For any question, besides answers that are useful and informative, you are likely to get responses that are off topic in your eyes, and some responders may not be polite, and most certainly you may get discouraging answers... things you didn't want to hear. This is sadly a common situation in these media, and if it really upsets you, your decision to withdraw from participation is wise. However, you are not going to find a kinder or more helpful group elsewhere on teh web. CF has a well deserved reputation for being one of the most civilized forums extant. We moderators spend a lot of our time weeding out the really unpleasant posters... a job we detest as a group... and take reported posts quite seriously. If you find some post offensive, click the small red triangle under the avatar and report it. We'll have a look at it for rule breaking, delete it if necessary and get back to you as soon as possible. Do remember that we are volunteers and are spread all around the world, so timing is variable.

We hope that you decide to stay and contribute to the fouum. If not, au revoir and good luck with your plans.

Jim

PS Re your feeling that there are a lot of negative responses throughout CF. Well yes, often there are negative responses. But we get a whole lot of posts from absolute newbies, folks who admit to knowing nothing useful and who propose plans that are simply not feasible, and for which there are no positive answers. When these sorts of threads come up, week after week, it ain't surprising that some CFers may be blunt (or worse) in their posts. We try to keep standards of "being nice" up by deleting rude posts, but we don't censor content beyond that (and a few issues relating to commercial activities). I think in general the level of useful advice here is outstanding and the level of vitriol low by internet standards. We get a lot of folks posting thanks and praising the advice they've received. i guess you can choose which way you want to see things.
Old 28-06-2019, 22:39   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Hi Notaclue, there is bound to be some yard that will let you do it somewhere. If it is anything like the yards we have lived aboard in Australia it will be full of characters and more like a trailer park.....in fact it will be like that Eagles song and you may never leave.

Living aboard while working on the yacht is not for the faint hearted, if you get any fiberglass dust on your bedding or seating it is as bad as poison ivy rash. Not to mention its a real hassle trying to move stuff around while working on the yacht. But heck the wife and I have done it a few times and still stayed married.....

Jim if I had the smarts I would set up in competition to Cruisers Forum except I would call it "Princess Cruising Forum" (Pink font everywhere). I would concentrate on making everything nautical sound like a good idea and immediately ban any negative or reasonable sounding person. I would also ban anyone that does not answer the question asked but instead comments on all the extra fluff the poster introduced into their post.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 23:14   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

How long do you plan to be in the yard? The best yards to live on the hard use airplane style steps, instead of ladders. Only seen these in Australian and New Zealand yards.
No way is the dog going to be using the ladders, so find a place for him to vacation while you are in the yard. Get the on the hard items done as quickly as possible and finish up in a berth where it is much more comfortable. I'd guess (no experience there) that one of the Kemah yards might work out.
See old thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ea-155238.html
Old 28-06-2019, 23:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
it may be a thing, but not a good thing.

I've only seen it done in back yards of homes, some rented most owned.
Come on John, no need to give advice about things you have no experience with. Do you not feel at least a little bad when you give wrong advice?
We, unfortunately, live on the boat whenever we haul, which is a fair number of places and countries. Some yards are a lot nicer than others to stay aboard. Living on the hard is just something to ssuffer through and get done as quickly as possible. The most convenient and comfortable, although not the cheapest, we've experienced is at the Boat Works in Queensland.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 23:35   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Paul L DO NOT MENTION THE DOG! Notaclue is having conniptions, that was not the question do not even mention the dog even if Notabloodyclue mentioned it for no reason at all.... For all we know its a special dog that climbs ladders (bound to be on You Tube) can paint (maybe on You Tube?) and then cooks dinner at night (again maybe on You Tube). So the dogs a winner and is stayin and should never ever ever ever be mentioned on this thread again!

Boat Works really sets the standards for any boatyard I have visited they are a 5 star place. I wonder how long you can live aboard for?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 23:49   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Yep, I agree: The Boatworks is the best yard we've ever been in. As you say, not cheap, but really no more expensive than the other yards in the area. Big fan here!

And J61 is simply wrong. Lots of folks live on their boats whillst hauled out... but mostly for short term jobs like bottom paint, etc, not for major refits.

I think we may have lost the OP, but perhaps she will return in time. It would be good if someone in her own area could advise about potential yards to investigate. But really, considering the lack of a boat, etc, it's a little soon to be negotiating for yard space and estimating the time required... that's hard to do accurately even when you have the boat and know what is needed. And the yard is gonna want some sort of estimate for time required.

And F&A, I like your pink themed forum. You could call it the Pollyana Cruising Forum!

Jim
Old 29-06-2019, 04:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Paul L DO NOT MENTION THE DOG! Notaclue is having conniptions, that was not the question do not even mention the dog even if Notabloodyclue mentioned it for no reason at all.... For all we know its a special dog that climbs ladders (bound to be on You Tube) can paint (maybe on You Tube?) and then cooks dinner at night (again maybe on You Tube). So the dogs a winner and is stayin and should never ever ever ever be mentioned on this thread again!

Boat Works really sets the standards for any boatyard I have visited they are a 5 star place. I wonder how long you can live aboard for?
Cheers
There's a couple living on and refurbishing a big Tayana in the yard that were in the yard both times we hauled there, almost 16 months a part. I'd probably shoot myself if I was on the hard that long.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 08:32   #14

Living on the a boat on the hard is not easy, even for a few days when the boat is having its annual haulout and bottom paint. No toilets for a start, dusty and having to climb a ladder to get on and off the boat, is not easy if you have some shopping etc. Hope you figure something better out.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 09:11   #15

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

My almost 90 lb. Lab loved cruising. He did well on our 36 footer. I see ads all the time for boats for sale in Kemah, Texas. I would start looking there if I were you. I bought a 50 year old 26 foot wooden ketch in 1974 never having been on a sailboat before. After an initial mishap on our maiden sail with someone who had take two 1 hour group sailing lessons I spent 1/2 hour teaching myself to sail a styrofoam Snark in a lake and went to Santa Cruz Island the next weekend. So if you ad stupidity to the stubbornness equation I think you can do ok. Good luck.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boatyards, texas