Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 15:19   #46

Re: Taking the Plunge

Ours has all gone through,concentrating on getting boat finished now.
Plan to go off early next year.

Sent from my V719_3G_CORE4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wmcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:31   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
...and my ass hurts from sitting in camping chairs in the otherwise empty house!
George, I guess things are different in different parts of the country. Here in No. California, when a house is for sale, the real estate agents arrange for what's called "staging" where temporary furniture and nice pictures and flowers are installed, and almost if not ALL of the PO's sh*t is removed. It makes the house look much bigger, but doesn't make it look empty and ready for the dump!

It's kinda what you see when you go to a boat show: the new boats have a few table settings, maybe some flowers, a nice picture, a few sail magazines and are perfectly clean otherwise. Makes 'em a lot "homier" looking.

Good luck on the sale and the sail.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:49   #48

Yes, we still have a bed and a few things but have already had the estate sale. It's funny. Once I made the decision to go all our crap was like a millstone around my neck. Just had to get rid of it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:17   #49

Boat: 1981 Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Getting frustrated trying to find my undies in the tubbys we keep our clothes in now that most everything is sold.

,,,,, don't worry, that's Gods way of getting you prepared for being a live-aboard.

George and Betty. I've just found this topic late last night and just finished reading all of it this morning. Unless I didn't see it, the one important piece of advice I'm surprised nobody here has said to you is this, "Take plenty of time selecting the right boat".

I started looking at boats, reading about them and studying everything I could about 4 months ago. I've spend a TON of time at this. I was a live-aboard for three years in the late 90’s in Kemah Texas. I’m returning to the boating life after 14 years of being a landlubber. What I learned then has helped me now but my needs are different. Have you really looked at; The layout topside and below. Center cockpit or aft? Slope or ketch? Full keel or modified fin or,,, modified full keel? Is the cruising speed important? Made for just coastal or bluewater? Draft? Enough storage? Example, At one point I thought the Gulfstar 39 was "it". Then realized there's not enough storage, for me anyway. Great boat for the money, check them out. (The 37 is even more savings if it fits you. That's what I had)

Then I realized a center cockpit would give me some perks over rear cockpit. I love an aft birth but I wanted a rear cockpit. No boat under 50 feet gives you both, that I know of. (You can't have it all with a boat. There are trade-offs) Then it went from one thing to another. It's been 4 months since I started looking, deciding on what I want. I've narrowed it down to a Vagabond 42 or a 47. More money that I wanted to spend but it gives me as much of the things I am looking for than anything else. (people keep telling me they're so expensive to maintain and I'm trying to get a fix on that right now and, it may be to much and I'll have to switch again. Jeez,,,) I didn't want to go over $60K and then I started looking at what I REALLY need/want. Through this entire process I have looked pretty close at the following boats within the 36 to 47 foot range and from $50K to $180K; Gulfstar, Gozzard, Bayfield, Cape Dory, Cheoy Lee, Irwin, Cabo Rico, Islander Freeport, ,,,,, and a few more. Out of those, there were about 3 "it's". My last "it" was with me for several weeks, a Formosa 41. Then I actually went on one in person and looked at it instead of photos on the internet. Just a tad to small, for MY needs. Now, it's either a Vagabond 42 or 47,,,,,maybe.

Are you sure you've taken the time to find "your boat"? Don't decide that you've suddenly found the "it" boat until you board one and really study it. Sit down and relax in it and picture yourself owning, moving around and sleeping on it. Guest? Will everyone be cozy for dinner, watching TV (if you do watch movies or whatever and how often will that happen?) What about the galley? Is it big enough? Heads? 1 or 2? Shower? Not all of these concerns fit everyone's situation but there's a lot to think about.
You started this topic July 7th of this year. 4 months. That's what it's taken me to get where I am and I still haven't made a firm 100% decision yet. And I have spent countless hours looking at a TON of boats. Have you? Have you looked at enough of them to really know what you will need now and also, in 5 years?

My 2 cents.

Good luck and fair wind always.

(where in Texas are y'all?)

dennymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22   #50

This is great advice. Picture yourself in it while sitting there.. The second look always discovers lots more than the first. Beware of getting wrapped up in the "process of buying". Beware of liking the boat because it has "that cool autopilot and watermaker". Sometimes you just get started down a path and it's hard to stop. Rebuilding boat systems is a reality.. and can be very frustrating and stressful on a marriage!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45   #51

Yep. And me personally,,, I want to be able to get to EVERY component around the engine. I'll be getting that with a Vagabond and you can bet that was something I looked at. There are several boats I just WOULD NOT buy because the engine and it's components are not easily accessible. Especially for cruising. "THAT" engine is more important to keep in tip-top condition than anything on the boat,,, IMO. Access to generator and refer systems is important also. These crucial items require maintenance and eventually replacement. And keep them clean (wipe them of dirt and grime on occasion and install 12V and even LED 110 lighting all around them) and keep them clear of falling items on/around them.

All of this is another topic but,,, if you are cruising, buy a boat you can get easy access to that engine more than anything.,,,, again, IMO.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35   #52

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I think you should reconsider buying a sailboat. With a motorboat, fuel can either be a major expense, or an anchor keeping you tied down in one spot. With a sailboat, aside from your generator burn, you only use a few tablespoons getting in and out of harbor. Keep your Draft under 5 feet and you still have good mobility and explore power. Plus you can still use the engine whenever you feel like it. A couple can get quite comfortable on a 35 to 42 foot sloop or ketch. Just gotta throw out a little more stuff. Find a boat with a pilothouse and you can steer inside in air conditioned comfort just like a motorboat.

Whatever you pay for the boat and necessary refit and modifications, plus enough to cover worst case medical expenses for a year, is a good emergency reserve. Some folks have far less. Some none at all. But I urge you to try to have that much so whatever happens, you can pick up the pieces and move on, even if there are no pieces left to pick up.

Some couples can cruise on $100/week. But if you can budget $100/day and funnel unused $ into the emergency fund, all the better. With a motorboat you will need more of that $ stuff, for fuel.
Old 08-11-2014, 13:46   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I think you should reconsider buying a sailboat. With a motorboat, fuel can either be a major expense, or an anchor keeping you tied down in one spot.

Huh?

They "ARE" considering a sailboat, not a motorboat. Read their very first post when they created this topic.

Maybe you got confused because I made such emphasis on the "engine" of a sailboat. A "motorboat" was never discussed.
Old 08-11-2014, 14:02   #54

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
Huh?

They "ARE" considering a sailboat, not a motorboat. Read their very first post when they created this topic.

Maybe you got confused because I made such emphasis on the "engine" of a sailboat. A "motorboat" was never discussed.
Ah. Good. All is right in the world, then. I thought he mentioned wanting a MY.
Old 09-11-2014, 17:10   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I think you should reconsider buying a sailboat. With a motorboat,
dennymusic, Cheechako, GrowleyMonster, Thanks so much for your replies! It was so nice to see your responses tonight.

It is interesting that we have been so frustrated at the slow progress on the sale of the house. The Lord and I have gone round and round and I finally realized it WILL sell when He is ready for us to go.

We started out looking at Trawlers almost two years ago. Then, I convinced the wife we ought to go with a sailboat. We went down to Florida for the Ft. Lauderdale boat show and to spend some time with the grand kids a couple weeks ago. Now, We are really considering a trawler again, and here is why:

We will be in a Marina at least in the beginning - We think we want to set up initially at Burnt Store near Cape Coral. We will do 95% of our time doing coastal cruising. If we do go take a longer voyage it would be a straight shot over to the Bahamas, probably not much further.

My wife has never sailed and I am afraid she would not be able to get back safely in a sailboat if something happened to me while we were out. Also, given what we will be doing we'd be motoring around most of the time anyway.

There is a lot more "Outdoor" room on a sundeck or trawler. More room for the Grandkids and their Mom and Dad.

The cons? More stuff to break down. Motoring all the time. Fuel. Noisy-er

So really, Though we have not made up our minds either way, I think the Lord knew we needed some more time to think about what we were doing.

,,,,, don't worry, that's Gods way of getting you prepared for being a live-aboard. Wise words indeed dennymusic!

Thank you all again so much for giving us such good words of encouragement and so much good and thoughtful feedback. I am more at peace now than I have been in several weeks. Were gonna keep researching and looking and thinking, and when God gives us the green light we'll go. Until he does we will wait.

dennymusic, We are in North Dallas.

Cheers!

George+ and Betty Jo
Old 09-11-2014, 17:49   #56

Regardless of what you choose:

Three things to check

Like any boat, check it out, but here are three things I suggest to everyone:

1. Dipstick access. If it's a pain to do, you won't, nor would the PO. Is it easy to get to or do you have to tear the cushions out?

2. What engine? A spare parts reasonably available? Yanmar parts are hard to get (worse in Canada). And very expensive. Not a deal killer, but... Universal engines are Kubotas so tractor stores have the parts.

3. Sleeping - try out the berths. Really. Our boat has what I have found to be THE largest V berth of any boat in its size class, even the comparable sized boats. Try out the berths. Try out the berths...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:29   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Regardless of what you choose:

Three things to check...
Agree 100%! I have heard horror stories of generator access on Trawlers as well as thru hulls that were totally inaccessible. Were gonna keep a keen eye out for sure.

What is your take on the Ford Diesel engines? Parts a little easier to get for them?

If we go with a trawler I want a low HP engine with better mileage. Not looking to go balls out. I'm built for comfort!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:08   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

See maybe I'm delusional, but I think from a cost standpoint, a slow trawler run at hull speed or less with a small engine for someone that only wants coastal cruising, up and down the ICW etc. is a logical choice. I think it may even be cheaper than a sailboat assuming you mostly sit in an area, in marinas and only re-locate when seasons change to stay in nice weather all year round. You have more room in a trawler, I believe they are easier to dock and are easier to get on and off the dock.
My intent is once I'm done cruising and get older, to retire a second time on a trawler.
All depends on what your needs and wants are. Just stay away from the big multiple engine, planing boats as they can go through fuel at an amazing rate.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 19:23   #59

Finally we have an offer on the house. Hopefully close in Jan and make our way to FL to liveaboard. Yee Ha!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-12-2014, 21:37   #60

That is Awesome! My Husband and I just did the very same thing . Took two years to get the price on our house that we needed in order to buy the boat we have always dreamed of. We finally were able to sell the house and now in the process of buying the boat of our dreams to cruise in. We are totally excited and nervous in the same breathe. Unbelievable how many emotions run through your head when it finally happens. We are so excited as you will be when that day comes for you too. Good luck. We always say "don't dream your dream, Live it" . Many happy adventures!
wedidit is offline   Reply With Quote