Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 16:36   #1

Boat: Leopard 46
Tahiti mooring boat in Tahiti medium term

I hope I have posted this in the right area of this forum?

We have just bought a Leopard 46 in Tahiti and want to leave it there for up to 18 months. We live in New Zealand and will visit in school holidays and then full time in June, 2018 when we will start moving to other areas.

I would love advise on places to moor while we are not there, people who might be able to keep an eye on it while we are not there, who to use for repairs, bringing in spare parts ie water, maker refrigeration, sail drive clutches.

any advise you are happy to offer we will be very happy to receive

Richard
RJ catfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 23:57   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 44i
Re: Tahiti mooring boat in Tahiti medium term

Hey buddy
Im looking at doing the same sort of thing but im bringing mine from BVI. It doesnt look like you had too many replies. Did you get any useful info you might like to pass on? Hope to do the longhaul this time next year
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 04:50   #3

Boat: Leopard 46

Geig, no we didnt get any replies but have since been in Tahiti for holidays not permanent.
Boat stays there however she is moored at marina Taina on Papeete close to the airport and supermarket and not far from the main town.

Staying is expensive as you get charged a higher fee as a non resident boat and the rate goes way up during the high season. you can get a mooring buoy that will cost a lot less if you want to go that way. both marina and moorings are first come first serve and no reserves if you go out for a cruise.

The marina itself is very good and services are good if expensive. people are friendly and helpful.

We have two guys looking after our boat wile we are not there and they are great. I can put you in touch with them closer to the time if you want. One is a skipper of larger boats and can deliver your boat anywhere the other does a weekly wash and run.

We are moving to Fiji and surrounds shortly, While Tahiti is great I think the snorkling and scenery is better there.
RJ catfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 22:56   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 44i

Thanks for the reply mate.
By exspensive, roughly what is it P/M? do you know the rough charges for Fiji as you say you are looking at taking her there?
For me, I've just bought this yacht and am planning a sucide mission learning to sail from panama to Tahiti as its the closest place to get to from picking it up. After that it looks like Raro then Fiji
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 14:11   #5

Hi Richard, I'm moving to NZ soon and I've been looking at a couple of yachts for sale in Tahiti. Did you look at possibly keeping it at Raiatea by comparison to Papeete? Also, did you get a survey done? If so, how comprehensive was it and what sort of cost? What are you doing about registration? Are you changing it to NZ registration or doing something else? Are you fully insuring it out of NZ?

CJ
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, tahiti