Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 18:22   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
Switching to Propane from CNG

I'm switching to a propane stove in my Hunter Legend 37.5. Does anyone know of any resources to buy used marine stoves? So far, it appears my only option is to buy new from Force10 or Dickinson.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 18:38   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Switching to Propane from CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
I'm switching to a propane stove in my Hunter Legend 37.5. Does anyone know of any resources to buy used marine stoves? So far, it appears my only option is to buy new from Force10 or Dickinson.
Have you considered re jetting your existing stove ? Not difficult to do and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 20:57   #3

Agreed on the rejetting. I have gone the other way on a home BBQ. Easy.

This issue may be in creating a safe storage locker for the propane. My understanding is that CNG lockers do not need to be vented overboard. LPG lockers do.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 21:31   #4

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Switching to propane from what?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 23:13   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Some friends of ours have a Legend 37.5 and have done this. I can get details from them if you'd like but I know for sure they re-jetted the stove and put in a propane locker. I will see them tomorrow and am sure they'd be happy to give me the details.

Just so I'm clear what year is the boat? I seem to recall the Legend falling in the early to mid 90s. Friends boat is a 91 or 92.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 05:39   #6

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Oh - CNG as in Compressed Natural Gas (Doh!) - As Jackdale wrote be sure your locker is properly vented and consider installing a sensor & cut-off relay in the galley if you don't have one. You might find a used stove here, via eBay, or at a larger marina in your area (lots of boats sadly being salvaged down in the SE) but in the big picture, new ones aren't too pricey. I'd likely not mess around with retrofitting/re-jetting unless your stove manufacturer has the alternate parts available. BTW I like your blog- and the Calder book is a good one to have! Cheers & Good luck.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:46   #7

Boat: Boatless

We have a Legend 40.5 and love the idea of propane. The locker where the CNG goes not suitable. What's your plan on the 37.5?

Re-jet for sure. If needing a slightly larger oriface a very small drill bit will do the trick :-) We switched from Butane to Propane on last boat and didn't do a thing (short of installing a solenoid) and stove worked fine.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:16   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a Hunter Legend 35.5 with CNG stove. Around here, there is no source to refill the CNG bottles. I went to a custom place and it was ridiculously expensive. So I agree with switching to Propane. Personally, I like the Origo non pressure alcohol stoves...its an easier change since there is no external fuel (propane) to deal with.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:25   #9

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

CNG is under high pressure Propane i snot... BIG DIFFERENCE.... CNG rises in air when set free... Propane sinks (think sitting in the bilge or engine room if there is a leak)... BIG DIFFERENCE..... CNG is hard to find in US while PROPANE is easy to find... (BIG DIFFERENCE) CNG cooks hotter...Propane about 30% less.... not so big deal....

$1500 for a new stove ouch..... pus reinstall...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:33   #10

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

re jetting is the way to go. I searched for a new stove and found some that were not too expensive, but had no deck...just an open grill over the burner deck. I liked the lay out of the one I had...a shipmate...They went out of business back in the '70's, so it took a while of diligent searching online and I found some parts for the oven but ended up modifying the jets on the top burners and adjusting the air vent to get a blue flame. It's worked gret for the past 2 years. I had no lockers...the CNG tank was a horizontal on the deck house. I made a platform aft for the propane any leakage goes over board and have a senior blow decks with a solenoid.

I helped a friend do the same on his Gulf star 37. we had to rebuild the storage locker as the propane tank wouldn't fit. we also put a drain in and routed it out the transom, just above the watering and a good foot below the locker sole. One of his burners was toast so we found a retro-fitted one for his shipmate.

Son't know why they went out of business. mines 40 years old and still looks great....thick good grade stainless. The retro-fitted burners aren't as robust, but still work good.

if you drill the jets make sure it's a clean hole and straight, other wise it won't ventury the air well and you'll get yellow in the flame, hence black pot bottoms. I've even added holes in the burner of one and enlarged the jet to make a hotter burner for stir fry and deep rapid boiling on larger pots....makes coffee water faster too AAHHH.... by the time I have the press cleaned and filled the water is ready ;-)

Be patient and do the research and walk through the safety before you start work.

good luck
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Used to do work on restaurant cooking appliances all you need to do is change regulator and rejet the stove and oven as far as the appliances are concerned as to the tanks themselves make sure the gas locker vents down and directly overboard.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:27   #12

I was very interested in just "rejetting" my currrent CNG stove, but when I talked to the guy at SureMarine over the phone (who was very helpful and knowledgeable), it sounded as though getting the parts for my stove wasn't possible. May have just been the salesman in him trying to sell me a new one, but I didn't get that impression really. However, I also believe in the power of the internet to present other solutions. Can anyone provide specific links to the products I would need to make this happen? I'm thinking about just hanging a tank off of the stern rail, so my main questions surround the stove itself....as in what changes need to be made to it. The guy at SureMarine talked about a thermostat that wasn't typically present on my particular stove model that may be required to make it a propane stove? For reference, I have a Seaward Hillerange 3132.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:38   #13

Dennis Igarashi - cell - (626) 374-6422

He used to work for Seaward before they closed. He'll know.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7405.0.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:44   #14

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Appliance parts stores in SF area carry the jets. Bring one of those with you and they get the right threads.. A few bucks apiece
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Dennis Igarashi - cell - (626) 374-6422

He used to work for Seaward before they closed. He'll know.

Seaward panel parts
I just talked with him on the phone and he has no idea what I was talking about...said he doesn't have anything to do with appliances.....?

Tags
propane