Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 14:01   #31

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Switching to Propane from CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
I was very interested in just "rejetting" my currrent CNG stove, but when I talked to the guy at SureMarine over the phone (who was very helpful and knowledgeable), it sounded as though getting the parts for my stove wasn't possible. .............. .
I'll bet a stove service company can find the right parts for your stove conversion. These guys will have done such conversions many times. Lots of the interior parts are generic.

As for the locker, regulator, solenoid, detector, etc., these parts are available ready made. Follow the ABYC specifications for a propane system.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 14:18   #32

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

In central California we have appliance parts stores. Take old gas jets and they can sell you the right propane jets. $4 or so
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 14:32   #33

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I'm sure the op is capable,e of unscrewing the CNG oriface and screwing in the propane one as well as changing the regulator on the tank end. The cost should be well under 50 USD .
Just one thing that I saw incorrect here you can not drill CNG out for propane its the other way around propane or I faces are about half the size of cng ones.
Exactly. I 'm reading all these and thinking WTF? I must be wrong. Propane has more BTU's than CNG, so it burns hotter. I'd try as is before re-jetting to smaller jets. If it's too hot, can't you just turn the burners down?
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 14:48   #34

As someone who is actually happy that my boat came with CNG I feel like an outcast in this thread.

My question is this. I know that transporting already filled CNG cylinders is very expensive. But the last few decades saw a huge leap toward CNG fueled transportation, especially city buses, postal fleet, other fleets, etc. Why is it, if practically every locality which has a city bus route, a CNG refill retail facilities can't be made easily available as well? Or at least put in a few exchange stations. Other than "a conspiracy by the propane sellers" theory any ideas? May be there would be a market to "uberize" CNG industry as it would be a tremendous safety leap and no more of that "afraid to blow up" thinking.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 12:24   #35

Old thread, I know...

But I am a CNG lover, too. I have an S2 11.0 and have worked out how to get my tanks refilled in Michigan (Grand Rapids.) One tank costs about $1.00 to fill. Seriously.

Matt
Matt White is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane