Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 00:11   #31

Re: Switching from Butane to Propane Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
What part of my post #22 did you not read??
It must not have been there when I read the thread. Didn't have time to answer right away so did it later and didn't re-read the thread. Sorry.
Copprhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 00:57   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Switching from Butane to Propane Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I am reading this thread with interest, however, I am looking at the reverse situation. I have a US boat with propane tanks which I intend to sail to Europe this spring. I have heard of cruisers using the European tanks and keeping their propane tanks as a back-up. Are you saying I would have to then also swap out a converter? Or perhaps my more modern regulator will work fine. Same size fittings? Also, if I think I might need a new regulator, am I better off getting one in the US or waiting until I get to Spain?
We are Americans and sail a boat we bought in the USA and equipped with propane tanks. We just completed our 3rd year in the Med and planning now for year 4. We carry 2 10# propane tanks and depending on where you are we have had no issues about getting them filled. Some counties don't even try as it is illegal - Italy comes to mind.

Our tanks average about 45 days of usage so we have about 90 days of gas on board. Before we left the USA we sailed the western Carib where getting tanks filled was some times a bit of an issue so we got adaptors and hoses and a spare regulator so we could simply invert a local tank and fill ours. Worked great.

In Tunisia they did the same. We got tanks filled in Croatia, Greece (I think) and now Turkey. We are not sure how they do it but we give them the empty tank and our adaptor and hoses and they come back full.

We have a Force 10 stove and no issues about the regulator or jets. It does not burn quite as hot but that is ok.

Make sure if you want to use propane tanks here bring adaptors that you can send out with the tank for filling.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane