Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2022, 08:59   #1

Survey for Liveaboard Slip--Really!?!?

Last week, we finally found a nice liveaboard slip. These are almost extinct in Southern California. So we filled out the application, which included a two-page boat data sheet, a credit report, insurance info, a boat photo, USCG docs., all pretty expected around here. Then, the bomb shell -- a boat survey, haulout, and sea trial!! What the...?!?! This was a deal breaker. Obviously, this would cost thousands. Is this a crazy California thing or have others experienced this?
Paradise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 09:23   #2

Re: Survey for Liveaboard Slip--Really!?!?

It's the marina's way of avoiding derelict boats.

Plus, insurance companies now often require a recent survey (within 5 years) for them to provide the level of coverage a marina requires - for the Toronto area of Lake Ontario, for example, marinas are requiring $2 million coverage. (Yacht clubs are different.)

Sorry - our new reality, I guess.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 10:18   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

Our slip license requires a CG Aux Vessel Safety check for new leases, haven't heard of anyone requiring a survey.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 13:35   #4

Around here it's a "two-tier" process: 1) You can't get a slip unless you have LIABILITY insurance. 2) You can't get insurance, not even liability insurance, unless you have a "recent" survey. Thus you can't get a slip unless you have a survey.

TrentePIeds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 14:07   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Paradise that's normal down under, the marinas and a lot of us are sick of derelict boats clogging the waterways. If you can't afford an extra $2000 then what's that saying to the marina? In the scheme of things $2000 is not much and here in Australia that survey lasts 5 years. So that is roughly $8 a week it costs.
I had one client who ticked all those boxes but his boat was cosmetically challenged. The marina then asked for an electrical survey and when he couldn't produce one he was declined a berth.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 15:16   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise1 View Post
Last week, we finally found a nice liveaboard slip. These are almost extinct in Southern California. So we filled out the application, which included a two-page boat data sheet, a credit report, insurance info, a boat photo, USCG docs., all pretty expected around here. Then, the bomb shell -- a boat survey, haulout, and sea trial!! What the...?!?! This was a deal breaker. Obviously, this would cost thousands. Is this a crazy California thing or have others experienced this?
They are basically insuring you to live on the vessel, they are going to want to know the condition of the vessel.
Pretty normal, our Marina just asks you to sail to the nearest island around 5 miles away, 10 miles round trip, and if you do this its "seaworthy"
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 15:20   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
You probably need to get used to haul outs.
That's a normal part of Vessel ownership, surveys, maybe for sales, or insurance, are more rare.
There are ways to cut expenses, though.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 15:24   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

My marina said, “we can do anything we want and if they don’t like it, there is the channel”

I think this sums up the situation perfectly

So many people are buying boats, they marinas are full and can do and charge anything they want. Bad position we are in as boaters.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 16:02   #9

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Our marina requires an annual in-water survey.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 17:01   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Boat squatters are why you have to jump through hoops, who knows you could be a boat squatter also. If they are asking for a survey that might be telling to us, your readers about the condition of your newly purchased vessel…..look at California cities they are littered with drug addict/alcoholic, emotionally disturbed, squatters.
Sadly it is not just a California problem the tents and the approach that marinas are taking to protect them selves from human liability. The rules are not in place because the marinas think it going to happen they are protecting against it happening again to their business.
I would love to live on my boat in a slip year round, sadly many have ruined the opportunity. I had a derelict vessel as a neighbor on a mooring next to mine for 5 YEARS it was a $&+# show, bicycles, deflated ribs, bird $hi+, mold, lines hanging in the water, glass that could not be seen thru. And it brought birds that gave me work to do on my vessel.
Laws/rules are never preemptive, they are always reactive. We all are held accountable for others transgressions and short comings. Sad but true.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 17:03   #11

There are too many yacht owners and it is time to move on to something else Sad but true,
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 17:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
a boat survey, haulout, and sea trial!! What the...?!?! This was a deal breaker. Obviously, this would cost thousands. Is this a crazy California thing or have others experienced this?
Thousands? Are you sure? Maybe in California but I just had a haul and insurance survey for a fraction.

In north Florida a short haul (lift, hang in the straps long enough for the surveyor to look at the bottom, then back in) for $4.50/ft so $200 for my 42' including taxes and the survey was $400.00. Not sure what kind of sea trial you have to do but can't imagine that would bring the cost to over $1,000.

Even if more than double in CA the short haul shouldn't be more than $400-$500 and the survey? Surely shop around and bet it could be done for well under $1,000.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 17:32   #13

I've gotten slips in Oceanside Harbor, CA and Chula Vista, CA, and a mooring in San Diego without a survey (but not liveaboards). The pre-purchase survey on a boat I recently brought to Oceanside was only a couple years old, but I'm pretty sure they didn't ask for it. Just the normal USCG safety inspection and proof insurance with their name as beneficiary. I hope this isn't a new trend, prices and wait times are getting ridiculous as it is!
RustRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 19:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We do appraisal surveys for a few of the biggest marinas in Ontario.
When they seize a boat, they need a qualified appraisal for the court process.
Each of these marinas seize 10-14 boats per year and acquisition and disposal costs run from $6k to $10k each.

I don't blame the marinas for being a little hard ass.
Old 23-05-2022, 00:22   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RustRacer.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, liveaboard slip, survey