Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2020, 12:37   #1

Boat: Lagoon 46
Sun Shade Material

Hey,
I'm looking to have an aft shade panel for my Lagoon fabricated. I know there are several materials but most come in different levels of block out. Typically 70% or 90%. The canvas guy is recommending 90%. Anyone have an opinion? While I'd like to maximize shade, I would like to be able see out to a fair degree.
Thanks, TracyO
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Sun Shade Material

Not sure I understand the issue. Sunbrella is the widely accepted cloth for Bimini and other canvas. It’s available in many colors, affordable, durable and has good waterproof and UV characteristics. You can also find it with a rubbery totally waterproof coating.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:08   #3

Boat: center console

Check on sailrite.com for phifertex. There are a couple of grades with varying degrees of light penetration. It's kinda like rubberized screen. We used this for covers on our hatches.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:10   #4

Boat: Lagoon 46

Yes my boat has numerous Sunbrella enclosures but I'm looking for a shade material that is somewhat transparent to produce shade but allow visibility such as Sailrite's Phifertex. It is the degree of block out, 70% or 90%, that I am unsure of. thanks
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:24   #5

Boat: center console

Try this: https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Outdoor...on%20Chart.pdf
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:33   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Tried all of the above then found ALUMINET.
You can find it all finished or have it custom.
It’s like a Mylar space blanket made into a cloth...let’s thr air in and you can see out ok. Tie it with paracord.
Spiffy looking on an aluminum yacht.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a coolmanatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 06:06   #7

I'm going through the same decision. I had to decide what was the priority and how I would use the shades. For me, I don't spend a lot of time at public docks, so using them as a privacy screen was not a high priority - if I want to see out at night, I'll just take them off. Seeing out in bright daylight is very doable with either 70 or 90% and I'm not that worried about who can see in during daylight.

So I ultimately decided to prioritize sun blocking and went with the 90% and if I'm unable to see outside because of light conditions, I'll remove them.
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 06:32   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyandkimo View Post
Yes my boat has numerous Sunbrella enclosures but I'm looking for a shade material that is somewhat transparent to produce shade but allow visibility such as Sailrite's Phifertex. It is the degree of block out, 70% or 90%, that I am unsure of. thanks

Are these for top shades or side panels?

We use a Textilene 80 (black) as side panels in our cockpit to block the sun and create shade. Still easily seen through it while underway or at anchor. The mesh is fine enough to use as bug screens if you were going to make full side curtains.

Haven't tried the 90 version as side panels. If the visibility is main factor, get a swatch of each and try them.

Downside of any mesh/screen material, would be reduced air flow if they were full side curtains.

If your application is for an overhead awning, would go for the 90. We use the Phifertex Plus (90) in our hatches & skylight covers. It still lets in plenty of light and helps keep the heat out.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote