Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 12:27   #196

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Substandard Housing

I'm curious how much the "substandard" label comes because the person using it (not necessarily sailorboy) is just upset because "those people" are some how getting over on society (or whoever they are getting over on).

How much is rent/housing costs, the right clothes, the right phone, the right car just an anchor keeping someone at the lower end of the economic scale from improving their position. By shaming them, it keeps them in their place. Which keeps the person doing the shaming in their elevated position (in their mind).

Me living on a mooring ball in Key West allows me to use 2/3 of my paycheck to improve my position in life (add systems to my boat) which will allow me to check out of the rat race (so I'll no longer be productive, paying taxes, paying fees).

And the thought of anyone escaping from the machine just upsets the type of person who would label a boat as "substandard" as a class.
Old 21-02-2020, 12:33   #197

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Just saying as it isn't like I am not part of the boat scum here.
While we are all here, we are not all the same. You and I will pull up and move on soon, if and when we return, many of the "sub-standards" will still be here. However, some of the others here will still be living on boats that they maintain and even take out sailing once in awhile.............
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:40   #198

Boat: Rafiki 37

All this begs the question: What do you mean by "substandard?" What is the standard that you think people are "sub" to?

The only specific I've heard is one regarding being tied to a mooring ball -- unless you mean this is substandard compared to hanging from your own anchor, which I might even agree with .
Old 21-02-2020, 13:46   #199
CLOD

Boat: none

QUIET you, you, you, Canadain Hippie boat scum! I heard these things in the bar from REAL people so it must be true!

Old 21-02-2020, 13:52   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
QUIET you, you, you, Canadain Hippie boat scum! I heard these things in the bar from REAL people so it must be true!
Awww, shucks. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me .

So, you've got a couple more weeks before casting off. How many more "I'm bored" threads can you start? They're always fun -- seriously .

(Because I'm stuck on land for another couple of months!, and I am bored )
Old 21-02-2020, 14:06   #201

Don't mind him , he was just "Penis Jousting " !!!
Imagineou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 14:14   #202

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Awwww I wanna be “Canadian Hippie Boat scum” too!!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 16:24   #203
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

So, you've got a couple more weeks before casting off. How many more "I'm bored" threads can you start? They're always fun -- seriously .

(Because I'm stuck on land for another couple of months!, and I am bored )
Depends on Happy Hour drink strength
Old 21-02-2020, 16:25   #204
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Awwww I wanna be “Canadian Hippie Boat scum” too!!
Check with Mike, but i think it is a low entry bar for joining
Old 21-02-2020, 17:23   #205

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Read an interesting phase the other day on some boating forum that the more i thought about the more i agreed with.

Unless you are underway or actively cruising, living on a boat is just living in substandard housing.

I know that here in Florida the State considers people living on a boat as being homeless.
You obviously have not seen the dumps that some land dwellers call home.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 17:29   #206

I have lived on everything from a 26' WW2 Navy Whaleboat converted to a gaff headed ketch rig, right on up to a Kelly Peterson 44 center cockpit cutter complete with washer/dryer. It's all HOME SWEET HOME...not camping. Camping is what we do in Yosemite...in a tent.
Tom Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 18:13   #207

Quote:
Depends on Happy Hour drink strength
Keep chuggin'. I'm counting on you .

Quote:
Check with Mike, but i think it is a low entry bar for joining
A very low bar indeed . But since we're talking drinks and bars, I am partial to a chewy, bitter IPA. Or a dark, chocolaty porter.
Old 21-02-2020, 19:19   #208
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
While we are all here, we are not all the same. You and I will pull up and move on soon, if and when we return, many of the "sub-standards" will still be here. However, some of the others here will still be living on boats that they maintain and even take out sailing once in awhile.............

Those “sub-standards” you speak of are the people who work in Marathon making your winter vacation destination a place you seem to enjoy. The reason they live on boats is because the housing costs are astronomical. Not all keep their boats in tip top condition, but neither do all who call Marathon their winter vacation home.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 00:56   #209

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Those “sub-standards” you speak of are the people who work in Marathon making your winter vacation destination a place you seem to enjoy. The reason they live on boats is because the housing costs are astronomical. Not all keep their boats in tip top condition, but neither do all who call Marathon their winter vacation home.
Let me just make a few comments on this, first, this is not my winter vacation home. I've lived on the SW coast of Florida for almost 25 years. I sold my terra firma home a few years ago. Now I live on a boat.

If people are saving money by living on a boat..... great......
All the more reason they should not be living on a floating pile of garbage.

It's not difficult to keep the side decks clear and the bottom clean. The sub standards choose just to not do it..............

This is probably the reason Sailorboy1 makes these threads. When people look out at the harbor, they see those floating piles of dung and lump all of us into the same category. Hence his term "boat people scum".
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 02:16   #210

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

The nature and definition of “ stereotype” is lumpin everyone in the same bucket because of one or two examples. The term “ trailer trash” is an example of this. Some trailer parks are neat and tidy... delightful garden gnomes everywhere( ) people making an effort; and others are well... trashy.
Even “ substandard” has a continuum. Slums in Mumbai? Substandard housing. Homeless? Sub/substandard.
The point is, in reference to living on a boat - no matter where it hits the continuum we as humans have established- what does it matter if it is substandard? If one is happy with their choice who am I to critique that? As long as I look after my own 38’ of space, and do it in a way I can be proud of—isn’t that is what important?
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote