Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 07:14   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Substandard Housing

Read an interesting phase the other day on some boating forum that the more i thought about the more i agreed with.

Unless you are underway or actively cruising, living on a boat is just living in substandard housing.

I know that here in Florida the State considers people living on a boat as being homeless.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:21   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Substandard Housing

Wouldn’t that depend upon the boat? If you are on a sub-35’ sailboat you might be correct, but my wife and I live on a 63’ two deck motor yacht. We are the smallest boat currently tied up to C dock in our marina, largest is just under 150’. Probably not substandard housing, even if we are “homeless” according to Florida law.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:23   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

living aboard is fundamentally camping on the water regardless of size. It can be fun for a while but it’s still camping
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:37   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I don't know. The mental feeling you get on the water is somehow better than housing of any kind on land.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:42   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

That’s why ocean front property exists.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:47   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Wouldn’t that depend upon the boat? If you are on a sub-35’ sailboat you might be correct, but my wife and I live on a 63’ two deck motor yacht. We are the smallest boat currently tied up to C dock in our marina, largest is just under 150’. Probably not substandard housing, even if we are “homeless” according to Florida law.

Possibly the people on the 150’ yacht would consider your 63’er as being substandard? It’s all relative.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:16   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Exactly, since we don’t have paid crew, we essentially live in a different neighborhood. Although the crew themselves are fine towards us, the 100 millionaires and billionaires are well aware of the relative difference between us. For us our boat is our only home, for them it’s their 5th or 6th. When we fly it’s in coach on a commercial flight, they own at least one private jet and often helicopters as well. We cook our own meals, wash our own dishes and make our own beds. They have staff to do everything for them.

Often the owner, who made the money, can be quite sociable within limits, but the grandchildren are usually insufferable. I just wish we could find slips at places where we are the biggest, not the smallest boat.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:47   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

As humans, we make up artificial constructs and then self determine the importance of those constructs/ labels. In this example, the sub 35 foot boat is has been labeled no good compared to the two story motor yacht, which is less good than the 150 foot yacht with crew.

What if the discussion became those folks on that 35 foot boat are having a great time and living the life they want? Or, the people who own the 150 foot boat must be very successful, we are happy for them.

We must strive to understand our true nature, then contentment will follow (santosha).

Namaste
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW: A boat can be your residence, and even a "homestead", in Florida.

If the boat is the owner’s sole permanent residence, the boat is entitled to homestead exemption if the boat is a “dwelling house.” What makes a boat a “dwelling house?” It pretty much has to be a houseboat that has no motor and cannot be used as a vehicle – at all. A boat that has an engine – even if the engine is inoperable – does not count as a “dwelling house.” To be considered for the homestead exemption, a houseboat without an engine must be attached to a dock via walkways and gangplanks and have utilities hooked up and be your sole permanent residence. There is no form for this; the county property appraiser will be agog trying to figure it out.
https://www.yourcaringlawfirm.com/ca...r-florida-law/
Advisory Legal Opinion - Homestead exemption, boat as permanent residence

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
living aboard is fundamentally camping on the water regardless of size. It can be fun for a while but it’s still camping
Sleeping aboard our current boat (19') is without a doubt camping, but with a hard-top, and it's set up so nicely, great ventilation, etc that it's quite pleasant for up to a week, or longer if we can hit a marina every few days.

Last year we did a charter - 3 couples on a 41' monohull, and I also did a short cruise with two other guys on a 36' mono ... and these were also like 'camping' when you get down to it. Closer to RVing, maybe.

It's my impression that long-term living aboard becomes feasible for a couple when the boat is a cruiser of 30' or more.

To the OP, the North American pattern of owning homes of 2000 sq ft or more is not the global norm. In that light...maybe we're just spoiled, and a decent cruising boat is certainly smaller, but hardly substandard housing.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:11   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I don't think I agree on those general terms.

If your boat has a hot shower, a watermaker, heating, a fridge, 110v or 220v electrics, jeeezz sometimes even air conditioning, I simply fail to see the camping element. Same standarts as a wealthy home on solid ground.

There are small boats where I'd agree it's more like camping, but in many cases it's not camping at all. It's just a different way of living.
Quote:
Old 09-02-2020, 09:34   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:

The Captains Quarters on our boat is larger than the master bedroom in our small-ish New York house. And it has a fireplace. And skylights. And we get to listen to the water chuckling against the stern. Oh, and we get to anchor next to waterfalls and mountains whilst sipping our coffee and eating freshly made croissants. All this for the last five years.

I imagine some people will only see half full cups where ever they be....
Old 09-02-2020, 09:40   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
That's a cynical view of things!!! Living aboard can be quite comfortable and is no different than RV life or living "off grid" Its simply an alternative to a "normal" choice.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Living aboard a well-found/equipped boat, moored to a full-service dock, isn’t much different than conventional housing, except for (empty & storage) space. Shore-side homes generally have more space than boats.
Maggie & I enjoyed 9 years, living aboard, and cruising, a 28'-6" sailboat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:17   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Possibly the people on the 150’ yacht would consider your 63’er as being substandard? It’s all relative.
Couple weeks ago at the bar during happy hour my wife and i start talking to the guy next to us. He said:

“I have a 70’ motor yacht I stay on sometimes, but it is way too small to live on full time.”