Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 02:41   #211

Re: Substandard Housing

So if Florida considers me homeless are there some benefits I may be entitled to? 😁
cjbronstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 02:46   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: A boat can be your residence, and even a "homestead", in Florida.

If the boat is the owner’s sole permanent residence, the boat is entitled to homestead exemption if the boat is a “dwelling house.” What makes a boat a “dwelling house?” It pretty much has to be a houseboat that has no motor and cannot be used as a vehicle – at all. A boat that has an engine – even if the engine is inoperable – does not count as a “dwelling house.” To be considered for the homestead exemption, a houseboat without an engine must be attached to a dock via walkways and gangplanks and have utilities hooked up and be your sole permanent residence. There is no form for this; the county property appraiser will be agog trying to figure it out.
https://www.yourcaringlawfirm.com/ca...r-florida-law/
Advisory Legal Opinion - Homestead exemption, boat as permanent residence
Hmm. When I lived in a Class A Motorhome I was told by the state that I could homestead it. Wonder why a boat has to be motorless?
cjbronstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 03:17   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cjbronstrup.

An RV owner has to file Florida Form DR-402*, “Declaration of Mobile Home as Real Property.” In DR-402, the homeowner has to certify that the RV was “permanently affixed on January 1 of the current year, is now permanently affixed, and it is my intention that the same remain permanently fixed.”
“Permanently fixed” means you cannot drive the RV around.

* DR-402 ➥ http://www.bcpa.net/Forms/DR402.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 04:39   #214
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Let me just make a few comments on this, first, this is not my winter vacation home. I've lived on the SW coast of Florida for almost 25 years. I sold my terra firma home a few years ago. Now I live on a boat.

If people are saving money by living on a boat..... great......

All the more reason they should not be living on a floating pile of garbage.

It's not difficult to keep the side decks clear and the bottom clean. The sub standards choose just to not do it..............

This is probably the reason Sailorboy1 makes these threads. When people look out at the harbor, they see those floating piles of dung and lump all of us into the same category. Hence his term "boat people scum".

You look out on the harbor and see sub standard people because of the boats they live on or possibly how their boats are maintained. I look out on the harbor and see different people leading their lives in different ways. Remember, there’s probably someone looking at your boat thinking it’s substandard because it doesn’t live up to their expectations.
I’m guessing 90% of the people living in houses on the waterfront think we are all sub standard, even those living on their 1m dollar yachts.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 05:44   #215
CLOD

Boat: none

If you don't or can’t understand the difference between boaters in general and boat scum there is no use debating it with you. But it certainly isn't hard to tell the scum from the others.
Old 22-02-2020, 06:08   #216

Boat: 2003 Cruisers 4370

Ben-- I couldn't agree more!
Birdman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 06:39   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you don't or can’t understand the difference between boaters in general and boat scum there is no use debating it with you. But it certainly isn't hard to tell the scum from the others.
I believe, we should avoid slurs, such as “boat scum”, which are harmful, distressing and marginalizing, to those, at whom it is aimed.
Language can, intentionally and unintentionally, propagate stigma: the mark of dishonor, disgrace, and difference that depersonalizes people.
We should also distinguish slurs from insults (avoiding both).
Whereas insults express contempt towards a single individual, slurs are employed to directly disparage, or subordinate, not only the target, but also all individuals and groups that the word can be applied to, because they possess a certain (set of) trait(s).

Not helpful, I believe, in advancing any discussion.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 06:49   #218
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I believe, we should avoid slurs, such as “boat scum”, which are harmful, distressing and marginalizing, to those, at whom it is aimed.
Sorry you feel that. But it IS met just as it is used, not as a slur but as a description.
Old 22-02-2020, 06:55   #219

It's all relative. Just visited the floating village on Tonle Sap Lake in Cambodia...Bottom of the barrel sub 30ft monos are luxurious by comparison and the people living there seemed quite happy.

There is also a difference between "have to" and "want to".
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 06:59   #220

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...I heard these things in the bar from REAL people so it must be true!

I think you need to start hanging out with a better class of bar scum .
Old 22-02-2020, 07:52   #221

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

The people who stereotype sub standard boats (notice that I said boats and not boaters) are the ones who will be getting their local government to ban all anchoring in their jurisdiction. It may be morally wrong and it may be unfair to those who keep up their boats, but it is happening now and it has real consequences for real people.

Complaining that one’s fellow boaters actions have a very real impact upon everyone else is not being narrow minded or prejudiced, it is simply facing reality. It is an attempt at self-policing our community for the good of everyone before others do it for us. To think that the rules of 50 years ago can continue today is just not realistic in 2020: there are far more waterfront dwellers, just as there are far more water dwellers. In addition, we are far more aware and concerned with the impacts of pollution, both fecal and visual. Those tensions WILL be resolved, either by peer pressure from within the community or by external pressure from land residents via laws and law enforcement. Which way do you think will be better for us? Which group will be more sympathetic to our needs?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:25   #222

This is America where we are “free” and should be allowed to live as we want. Lived in a house for long time with many different neighbors. If you chose to have junk cars in your lawn and not mow, paint, roof your house that’s fine with me as long as it stayed on your side.
We should not try and inflict our views on what we feel is acceptable on others it will only lead to problems. Learn to accept and engage those with different lifestyles. Might just find out they are wonderful people with great stories or tragedy where we may be able to help.
When you were in the bar and heard that statement asked why they felt that way. Maybe you both would have learned something by talking to each other. Change can happen one at a time😊
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:37   #223
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Seems as if you don’t care for the way some of the boaters in the harbor maintain their boats. You found your way in here and I’m sure you can find your way out if it really bothers you.
Maybe we should denigrate or make up some derogatory names for those in the harbor that are ugly, have crooked teeth or are obese? I’m sure there’s a way they can cure these deficiencies to make things better for you.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 09:20   #224
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think you need to start hanging out with a better class of bar scum .
I would need an official copy of The Scum Classification System and some type of believable inspection certificate for locations.

On the other, if they let me in and served me you could assume ........
Old 22-02-2020, 09:31   #225

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

[QUOTE]Complaining that one’s fellow boaters actions have a very real impact upon everyone else is not being narrow minded or prejudiced, it is simply facing reality. It is an attempt at self-policing our community for the good of everyone before others do it for us.[/QUOTE]

This is the truth right here............

I've attended most of the FWC pilot program meetings on the west coast of Florida when they held them many years ago. I've also been to Tallahassee several times to attend committee meetings on banning anchoring.

The derelicts and people living on junkers with bed sheets, blankets flying and covered with tarps and loaded down with all manner of junk are the ones they point to every time they try anchoring restrictions.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote