Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 10:41   #181

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Whatever you want to call it, life on any cruising-level boat is quite comfortable. Many boats are very luxurious -- just like RVs. No one I know, outside of a few on these interwebs, would call this "substandard," and certainly not camping.

I do think most people in our societies view folks who live on boats (or RVs for that matter) as unusual, and perhaps odd. And that's probably a good thing ... keeps the anchorages less cluttered .
Haha true dat!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 10:55   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No one I know, outside of a few on these interwebs, would call this "substandard," and certainly not camping.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:02   #183

Boat: Hans Christian, 48T, 48'

25 ton RV that I can cross oceans in. A microwave is one of the little things that make it not camping.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:17   #184

State of Florida definition of homeless. ( Nothing about a boat).
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:23   #185

https://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/homelessness/what-is-homelessness.shtml
What Florida condsiders Homeless. Thank goodness they don't consider living on boat HOMELESS.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:24   #186

Greetings to all,
We’re still land lubbers but working towards having to get our sea legs. I’m retiring at the end of May. We sold our custom 3850 sq ft “non-substandard” house, that I built, this past September and we are living in our brand new 35’ “luxury” 5th wheel till I build or buy our retirement home in Arizona. Our plans are to get a sailboat up in the PNW, Bellingham area, for the summer months. I’ve been a firefighter for 36 1/2 years and I know substandard housing, which is a subjective statement, from all of the house calls I’ve made. I have guys at work that say, “how’s life living in a trailer?” as they snicker. I tell them that it’s really nice though we’re still adjusting to the size difference. This is temporary till we get our retirement house and for sailing around the lower 48 states on land. I’m looking forward to the day we can set sail on our “substandard” sailboat for weeks on end lol. I don’t see myself full timing but who knows where the winds will take us.
With that being said, people will say what they want and have an opinion on just about anything. Some do it to make themselves feel better about themselves and their situation. I too am not excluded from that statement. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure so I’ve heard. You guys keep doing what you’re doing and may fair winds prevail. For now I’ll keep watching you in envy and dreaming of the day it’s me out there.

KT
firekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:39   #187
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettn View Post
Sailor boy,

The purpose of your post was essentially what? To stir up indignation amongst otherwise happy people?

We live in Florida and did at one time live on our 42ft tayana for a spell, so if that means we were homeless, I have a helluva inspiration story for others!
It was to MAKE you read and response
Old 21-02-2020, 11:44   #188
S/V rubber ducky

10 pages of replies and no one appears to able to understand key part in post #1
Old 21-02-2020, 12:52   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
As humans, we make up artificial constructs and then self determine the importance of those constructs/ labels. In this example, the sub 35 foot boat is has been labeled no good compared to the two story motor yacht, which is less good than the 150 foot yacht with crew.

What if the discussion became those folks on that 35 foot boat are having a great time and living the life they want? Or, the people who own the 150 foot boat must be very successful, we are happy for them.

We must strive to understand our true nature, then contentment will follow (santosha).

Namaste
Bravo, namaste.
sethjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:01   #190

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43í

The questions seem to be: Are you safe? Are you comfortable? Are you happy? Is the couple on the 40í trawler only half as happy as those on an 80í motor yacht and only a third as happy as the couple on the 120í yacht? Does doubling the size or the boat make one twice as comfortable? Watch the young couple with a couple kids on a 28í sailboat. All four are smiling like they just had the dest day of their lives. And safety, the brain is the best safety net. Some owners of large vessels are very nice people while others canít go out in the rain without an umbrella, otherwise they might drown from having their noses so high.
As to substandard housing, if being on the water with heat, air conditioning, a comfortable bed, a stove for cooking, a head, hot shower, etc. is substandard, a lot of us donít realize that weíre doing it wrong.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:01   #191

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Don, "Sailorboy 1", is just trying to stir the pot......

We are both in the same mooring field, if I look hard enough, I can see his boat from mine........

Quote:
Unless you are underway or actively cruising, living on a boat is just living in substandard housing.
There are many "boats" here in the harbor. Some will never go any where.... too much crap on the bottom and too much crap on the top.

I think this is just his way of round about complaining........

The combined cost of his boat and mine are more than the median price of any home in the US. And both are worth more than a junker in the city.

Don, if you want to see sub-standard housing, take a stroll down 15th Street Ocean............ Those people even have a real address.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:05   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
10 pages of replies and no one appears to able to understand key part in post #1

Oh no, we heard you. But there's simply too much variance in both terrestrial and afloat accommodations for it to be sufficiently accurate as a truism.

Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:09   #193
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Don, "Sailorboy 1", is just trying to stir the pot......

We are both in the same mooring field, if I look hard enough, I can see his boat from mine........

There are many "boats" here in the harbor. Some will never go any where.... too much crap on the bottom and too much crap on the top.

I think this is just his way of round about complaining........ im not complaining

The combined cost of his boat and mine are more than the median price of any home in the US. And both are worth more than a junker in the city.your boat must be a lot expensive than mine

Don, if you want to see sub-standard housing, take a stroll down 15th Street Ocean............ Those people even have a real address.........
You must not have taken a dinghy trip down around by the bridge. If a lot of those boats were houses the city inspector would long ago have slapped “condemned” stickers on them.

Btw - my boat is fairly nice, in great condition, is comfortable for a boat. Since Nov 7 it has been tied to the same mooring ball here and just substandard housing. In a couple weeks i will be underway cruising in the Bahamas and at that time my boat becomes a yacht with luxury accommodations
Old 21-02-2020, 13:20   #194

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
your boat must be a lot expensive than mine
Come on Don, your boat is really nice..........

Yes many of the boats anchored outside the harbor are one day, or event, away from homelessness. And as we've seen, just one fire away from that.

But, there are a many boats in here worth a million plus......
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:25   #195
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post

But, there are a many boats in here worth a million plus......
Yes. But while they are just tried to a mooring ball here that is substandard housing for $1M.

Just saying as it isn't like I am not part of the boat scum here.