Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 06:55   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Substandard Housing

My wife and I moved aboard young and never had a home ashore as adults until we sold our boat in 2017. Because of this we may have not fully appreciated those conditions that some might think of as "substandard". As we are now living ashore, there are some characteristics that we enjoy regarding the space, simple maintenance and convenience, but there are some "substandard" outcomes of our land home.

We no longer look out on new surroundings. We're rarely aware of the phase of the moon or tide. We're less aware of the weather conditions, sunrises and sunsets. We don't have as many achievements that are outcomes of our self-reliance and adventures.

I have new passions and goals, but this substandard life ashore is a challenge.
Old 16-02-2020, 07:17   #137

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
VW is promising that their new electric bus, the “ID Buzz” will hit US dealers in 2022.
https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...eginning-2022/

Cool ... too bad I'll never be able to afford one. But cool...
Old 16-02-2020, 07:42   #138

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Actually I am not a US citizen so it's not really a thing I need to fix over there.

I specifically did not name the "someone". Because that someone apparently gives very much a sh.. about things like that.
If I would have the funds or political power I would try to help.

But hopefully people draw their conclusions and try to change this politically.
Devicive actions have no chance to unité à country or fix that...

Anyway, let's not get more political than this, because it will be a nasty and endless discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I always get a kick when someone posts or says "someone" should ......
Old 16-02-2020, 07:43   #139

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

;-) Your not the only one in this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Cool ... too bad I'll never be able to afford one. But cool...
Old 16-02-2020, 14:49   #140

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
My wife and I moved aboard young and never had a home ashore as adults until we sold our boat in 2017. Because of this we may have not fully appreciated those conditions that some might think of as "substandard". As we are now living ashore, there are some characteristics that we enjoy regarding the space, simple maintenance and convenience, but there are some "substandard" outcomes of our land home.

We no longer look out on new surroundings. We're rarely aware of the phase of the moon or tide. We're less aware of the weather conditions, sunrises and sunsets. We don't have as many achievements that are outcomes of our self-reliance and adventures.

I have new passions and goals, but this substandard life ashore is a challenge.
Yes, a great challenge, in many ways, and at the same time, it is the story of aging in a time and place where there have come to be many elders, who at the same time, are treasured less because there are so many of us.

For me, it goes into the ignore bin, a problem too big to find a solution that is acceptable.

Political "solutions" to problems tend to have unintended consequences.
Old 16-02-2020, 18:25   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...We no longer look out on new surroundings. We're rarely aware of the phase of the moon or tide. We're less aware of the weather conditions, sunrises and sunsets. We don't have as many achievements that are outcomes of our self-reliance and adventures.
I can relate to being connected to the rhythms of Nature HF. The boat forces one to live on Nature's terms. On land we can insulate ourselves to a large degree. I certainly miss this connection to land and water when we're back in the cocoon of civilization.

Before cruising I (and then we) would spend extended periods canoe tripping through the wilds of Canada. I always loved pushing off from shore and heading away for weeks at a time, knowing full well that life was now a simple task of exploration, adventure and survival.

The complexities of modern life melt away when faced with the simplicity of making it down a rapid, or sailing around a northern peninsula.
Old 17-02-2020, 02:31   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We lived in center city Philadelphia for 30 years, very nice neighborhood, historic district. For 20 years I reverse commuter to an office or worksite, generally I into he suburbs, 1-1/2 hour commute each way, I hated it. Then my office was moved so that it was an easy 1 mile walk which think me through an urban park, idyllic no?

No! I found myself making all kinds of excuses to go out to the suburban offices whenever I could. My mood darkened and I retreated emotionally, depression. It took a while but I finally realized that being in the city all the time was killing me emotionally.

Even before this I started sailing, I remember telling my Wife very distinctly that if she wanted me to work till 65 I needed to find a way to make it easier. I had already changed my contract to get 8 weeks vacation annual to sail, which I had only recently taken up. Eventually we bought our big boat to have a place away from the city, if only on a dock. We eventually split our time between the city and the boat, working every other week and living on the boat in between.

So when one talks about a standard of living many factors come into play and they are not the same for all of us. Some folks are quite happy being “cliff dwellers” and are afraid if not surrounded by the “herd.” Others find succor in the suburban cocoon. Still others require something more primal. I could live happily in our Newfoundland house with our views of the bay and the hills, except for the winter!

Too each his own.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 03:00   #143

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We lived in center city Philadelphia for 30 years, very nice neighborhood, historic district. For 20 years I reverse commuter to an office or worksite, generally I into he suburbs, 1-1/2 hour commute each way, I hated it. Then my office was moved so that it was an easy 1 mile walk which think me through an urban park, idyllic no?

No! I found myself making all kinds of excuses to go out to the suburban offices whenever I could. My mood darkened and I retreated emotionally, depression. It took a while but I finally realized that being in the city all the time was killing me emotionally.

Even before this I started sailing, I remember telling my Wife very distinctly that if she wanted me to work till 65 I needed to find a way to make it easier. I had already changed my contract to get 8 weeks vacation annual to sail, which I had only recently taken up. Eventually we bought our big boat to have a place away from the city, if only on a dock. We eventually split our time between the city and the boat, working every other week and living on the boat in between.

So when one talks about a standard of living many factors come into play and they are not the same for all of us. Some folks are quite happy being “cliff dwellers” and are afraid if not surrounded by the “herd.” Others find succor in the suburban cocoon. Still others require something more primal. I could live happily in our Newfoundland house with our views of the bay and the hills, except for the winter!

Too each his own.
This is a nice post--thankyou!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 03:36   #144

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

This page has some interesting posts.

Right now I'm struggling with these very points. It's so much easier and cheaper to live in real estate, or even an RV. But there is a feeling you get from living on a boat that can't be found elsewhere. There is more forced physical activity, therefore more health. Fresh air. A circadian rhythm tied to the sun. The list of things that make you feel alive goes on and on.

Logically, it's better/cheaper to live in real estate or get an RV. The RV comes close, mind you. It's a close second. But the quality of life isn't as good as on a boat. Time doesn't slow down on an RV like it does on a boat. You also rarely get the privacy and physical safety a boat provides.

I've spent more money and time building my boat than I would have taken to build 3 small houses. This is sooooo STUPID!!!

I don't know why I'm doing it. It just feels better on boats.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 17:35   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don't know why I'm doing it. It just feels better on boats.
This!
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 06:35   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
... It's so much easier and cheaper to live in real estate, or even an RV. ...
This is interesting, because my experience is exactly the opposite. It has been far cheaper for me to call my boat my home, than to live in a dirt dwelling. In fact, if I still owned my last land home, I could not afford to live the way I currently do.

Certainly not saying you're wrong Chotu. But maybe this cost issue depend on where one is based, and perhaps other things like type of boat, and how one cruises.

BTW, I've never tried the RV life, but I think I might some day. The closest I've come is traveling by motorcycle, and that was certainly cheaper than living in my land home. Although it was not cheaper than my boat life.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:03   #147
CLOD

Boat: none

It definitely was less expensive for me to live in my last house than my current boat! And this comes from someone who track and isn't gut guessing.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:33   #148

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

After living aboard for 5 years I've found that yes, it forces a lot more activity than my land based friends, but not always the kind that I need.

We both are much more agile than other people, getting on and off the boat I've seen people 20 years younger have a hard time. We're always stretching, crouching, etc. so that's a very good thing.

But we both miss aerobic exercise and it's starting to show. I try to walk 3 miles a day on land but I need more. I bought I tiny workout (resistance training) platform and hope it will work.

But my muscle tone is not what it was when I came aboard. IMHO there's just not a lot of opportunities for "real" exercise living aboard.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:51   #149

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It definitely was less expensive for me to live in my last house than my current boat! And this comes from someone who track and isn't gut guessing.
Yep, you have the facts... but let’s talk about quality of your life onland vs on boat. On the boat, is your life experience richer/fuller? Or is the cost differential solely upkeep and maintenance? Would you be living your life onland , doing the same stuff that costs on the boat. Does being on the boat feel more of a vacation and you are on holiday so you eat out more etc? Would living on land and not having the boat mean you would do things onland that cost more? Cinemas, theatre, golf etc?
I guess I am asking - why is the boat more expensive then a mortgage/ property tax, saving for a furnace/ roof/appliances/ new flooring periodically and other home improvements. Is it because on a boat it’s a safety issue so stuff can’t slide and with a house, new flooring is neither here nor there?
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 10:08   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
But we both miss aerobic exercise and it's starting to show. I try to walk 3 miles a day on land but I need more.

Get folding bikes. Perhaps on your vessel you might even have room for full-size ones. Or if you're based at a marina/club, you could buy two beater bikes and chain-em up ashore.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote