Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 17:26   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Storage Aboard Liveaboard

I lived on a 28' for 7 years.... I built a lot of custom cabinetry, used a gear hammock, and even all the bilge space. Then I bought a $500 van and parked it in the marina parking lot.... Nirvana!
Old 11-11-2013, 23:04   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Storage Aboard Liveaboard

Vans, storage units and dock boxes can provide huge added space, but then there's the trade off for having these spaces. When I had storage spaces off my boat I would tend to fill them with things I thought I might want in the future,.... half cans of paint or solvent, odd size chain, chunks of metal & wood. Having these off the boat storage places also meant that I was not as free to sail away to new places. Of course, when I was working I expected to remain in a specific area. When the time to retire approaches it might be a good idea to trim down to keeping all you own on the boat. We still sometimes return to the marina where we kept a slip from 1981 to 2002, but we venture out for long periods far away. For the first five years after retiring we did keep a safe deposit box in a bank, but now we've just left a packet of some important papers with our daughter.

Tags
storage, liveaboard