Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2021, 13:42   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Welcome.

Don’t worry about the English, a large minority here are not native speakers.
And those that have English as a native language are not necessarily good at it. My self included.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 17:33   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've met quite a few male solo sailors in my voyaging years....every one of them had a mission of sorts to find a "mate".......without exception, to a one they could all be invariably found holding up the local bar at whatever venue they were at....always with a roving eye for an available maiden...

I've also met the occasional solo female sailor, but they tend to be a rare breed and finding a "mate" is typically not high on their priority list.......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 18:01   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post

best location for charter is of course Croatia because wind is not strong
Unless you get the Bora.

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 22:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
This is in winter, with wind gusts to 120 knots. big deal, but a danger for not experienced sailors. All charter boats if wind over 30 knots must be in the marina. In summer wave very rare be over 2-3 meter
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 23:51   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj88 View Post
When i buy the boat i wil change my work routine and just do 10 weeks straight working in the north sea then sail the rest of the year and the boat wil be my home so to charter it out is not for me ��

Even with those challanges in the caribbean i wil go there, just have to be extra careful and put some extra time in maintanance and i think it wil be ok ��

You are spot on in price range, 2-300 000€ is what im hoping to get my cat for but to charter it out wil only make me wait longer to start cruising and in a more worn out boat. Maybe im way off here or misunderstand but if i can afford it is it not better to buy the boat and just get out there?
Ok again i suggest you bay new boat not used in this price range.
i pick this for example only T.T.Y. Adriatic d.o.o. - Bavaria - KATAMARANI BAVARIA - Nautitech 40

buy new boat with minimal equipment. max engine, minimal electronic, base electric system pick equipment from factory price hard to install base.

after you pick boat equipment the next question is the country of registration tax insurance.

But also location, for young solo male/female Caribien is after 3-4 days/week little boring, this Caribbean town doesn't have a center of town with bar,restaurant ,shops and similar like in EU.But you whant this ,ok.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 00:05   #21

Boat: Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
you are 33 and solo now, but I'll take a bet you'll soon meet some girl...and all your plans will get thrown out the window...
Not a chance, if i meet someone she whould have to come with or i will simply sail away 😎
tonyj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 08:33   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I met several single handers who were no longer solo after they went to Club Nautico in Cartagena. Candalaria had a lot of nieces.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 08:46   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post

But also location, for young solo male/female Caribien is after 3-4 days/week little boring, this Caribbean town doesn't have a center of town with bar,restaurant ,shops and similar like in EU.But you whant this ,ok.

Dunno where you went in the Caribe but from the sound of it it was nowhere I went.. and there are different towns, cultures, languages on every one of the 25 different countries and 7000 islands that are in the Caribbean Sea.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 11:11   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

I’ve sailed both , the eastern Med is a far better destination in my opinion. But then I’m biased.
Old 20-07-2021, 15:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've also met the occasional solo female sailor, but they tend to be a rare breed and finding a "mate" is typically not high on their priority list.......
Yep. That would be me.

I'm done with the belittling that I often experience from male sailors. If I solo, the only person I have to answer to is myself.

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 16:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
And those that have English as a native language are not necessarily good at it. My self included.
From what I hear Peppa Pig is resolving that problem over there...

Since US states imposed harsher COVID-19 restrictions, the soaring demand for Peppa Pig is giving US kiddies British accents. The “Peppa Effect” refers to children who develop British accents from watching iconic TV show, Peppa Pig and saying lift instead of elevator and phrases, such as “mummy,” instead of “mommy,” or “tomah-to,” and “zeh-bra”.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 16:13   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

I have a friend in Norway who sailed his boat to the USVI and has been unable to reconnect with his boat since the pandemic due to US entry constraints. He has been back in Norway for a year and a half, but I'd bet that he would be willing to share his journey and experiences with you of many years in the Virgin Islands. If you would like, send me a pm and I will connect you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj88 View Post
Hello

Im currently saving up money to buy a 38 to 45ft cat and liveaboard cruising the world.
Hopefully i can explain some of my plan good enough and can get some feedback or tips.

I curently work at a 83meter filet trawler in norway and work 5 weeks on and have 5 weeks off after.

The plan is to take 2 trips at work and work for 10 weeks straight then cruise the rest of the year.

10 weeks work wil get me arround 55,000usd and hopefully thats enough for 9 months of cruising, if not i can take one more trip to work for more money.

Im 33 years old and single so i wil be sailing solo most of the time but for longer trips i wil get a crew.

As for sailing experience i have allmost zero but i have lived and worked at sea since i was 16 years old so im defenetly not a landcrab. im going to start sailing courses when i get home from work and im getting all the licences i need and wil sail with a experienced sailor when i start out.

Sorry for my bad english and thank you so much if you take the time to read and give some feedback 😁
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 16:18   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Yep. That would be me.

I'm done with the belittling that I often experience from male sailors. If I solo, the only person I have to answer to is myself.

LW77
Belittling? Then they are simply fools not worthy of walking the plank-to find a jewel in the ocean that is competent, has experience and can handle the helm is a fine addition to the journey, few and far between-you may take the watch
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 16:29   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
From what I hear Peppa Pig is resolving that problem over there...

Since US states imposed harsher COVID-19 restrictions, the soaring demand for Peppa Pig is giving US kiddies British accents. The “Peppa Effect” refers to children who develop British accents from watching iconic TV show, Peppa Pig and saying lift instead of elevator and phrases, such as “mummy,” instead of “mommy,” or “tomah-to,” and “zeh-bra”.
I love them, along with the Aussies and
South Africans.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, liveaboard