Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 08:44   #31

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: St Brendan's Isl mail service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Most US banks ate fine with a residence address and a separate mailing address. You can use a relative's address in your home state as your residence and St Brendan Isle as a mailing address.
That's good to hear. I have a long history with the banks I use so I'm hoping they'll think twice before tossing me out over this.

But I'm not even sure where my "home state" will be. Ultimately, I'll be leaving my current home state. I do want to find a new home base at some point, but it could be 18 months or more before that happens. Obviously Florida has tax advantages.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:23   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
We found USAA didnít mind the SBI address but we were old customers so it might have been different if we were just getting an account.
Well get ready, we have been with USAA for I believe 33 yrs and this week got the we need a different address email, they said it was the Patriot act.
We called St Brendanís isle thinking to use the address that we have for voting, and they had heard it many times, most everyone with USAA got the email.
It is exactly what others have said, something out there identifies addresses which are not real physical house addresses, and I assume USAA is notified.

I went through a rash of crap when I got my Wifeís account started a couple of years ago with USAA as they knew St. Brendanís isle wasnít a for real home address. They finally got off out back when I sent them a copy of our voters registration cards with the St. Brendanís isle address on it, but obviously itís resurfaced.
At that time they were saying that both our accounts would be canceled if we didnít provide an address, they were very apologetic, saying itís Federal law, they didnít have any option.

This is a screen shot of the body of the email, scrolled up to remove my name,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D9EF295-353D-4D30-8AB8-A5522AD6B5C3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	209165  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:41   #33

Boat: Bruckmann 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Well get ready, we have been with USAA for I believe 33 yrs and this week got the we need a different address email, they said it was the Patriot act.
We called St Brendanís isle thinking to use the address that we have for voting, and they had heard it many times, most everyone with USAA got the email.
It is exactly what others have said, something out there identifies addresses which are not real physical house addresses, and I assume USAA is notified.

I went through a rash of crap when I got my Wifeís account started a couple of years ago with USAA as they knew St. Brendanís isle wasnít a for real home address. They finally got off out back when I sent them a copy of our voters registration cards with the St. Brendanís isle address on it, but obviously itís resurfaced.
At that time they were saying that both our accounts would be canceled if we didnít provide an address, they were very apologetic, saying itís Federal law, they didnít have any option.
I guess they are just as behind as everybody else. Glad we have a home address now even thought we still get all our mail at SBI just for convenience sake.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:55   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

USAA just needs an address to put on file, we gave them a family members.
They leave the mailing address as St. Brendan’s isle although they send me no mail, it’s all electronic.
Law requires them to have a “real” physical address, you could probably give them Wriggly fields address like in the Blue’s Brothers and it would work.
Old 21-02-2020, 10:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I have to agree with the others about using UPS, FedEx, or other delivery service over the USPS. I mailed a letter in the U.S. a week ago Monday and it still hasn't arrived and it was only going 400 miles in the U.S.

This may explain many of their ongoing issues:
https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/messag...s-in-disarray/

Somebody just spent nearly forty bucks to send us a time-critical USPS Priority Mail One-Day Delivery. It was sent on Saturday, and had SUNDAY DELIVERY written in bright red marker on both sides of the envelope.

We got it Tuesday.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 10:51   #36

There is no control in the chain of possession with the USPS once out of USPS control. Fedex or USPS retain possession through the entire process all the way to delivery. There are no USPS PO's once out of the US jurisdiction. USPS is going to hand-off to the local (foreign) mail agency, where the issue of custody has no oversight.

Fedex and USPS hand-off to distribution center they own in the foreign country. It's up to you which best meets your needs.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:58   #37

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

SBI has ALWAYS been great to us... no matter where we are. We have used their service for the past 4 years.

As a data point, when I was still in the U.S. Navy and deployed to the Caribbean on a humanitarian deployment (2009), there were a few islands we stopped at that the ONLY WAY we could get mail, deliveries, etc to us was if they were palletized FEDEX shipments. They were SO cost prohibitive... but the ONLY way we could get the things we needed, when we needed them, was if we paid the FEDEX shipping. There was just no other way to get them to those islands (and if I remember correctly it was... anything Antigua and Barbuda and south).

SBI knows the rules.... THEY are there for YOU. They're not trying to get one over on you. If FEDEX is the only way you'll get your mail when you're on a certain island, then trust them.

And if you don't want to pay it... then have them send it to the next island in your travels that doesn't require FEDEX.
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 09:42   #38

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0808 View Post
This is a good point that I hadn't considered before. I'm also in the process of renewing my TSA pre-check / Global Entry for flights, and part of the application and interview is your residence and home address for the past 5 or 10 years.
Has anyone had issues meeting this requirement with St Brendan's Isle or any other mail service?
We use SBI and havenít had any issues with renewing our TSA pre-check creds.

Weíve used their services for the past five years and have had zero problems with them. As someone mentioned, weíve also stopped by their facility and canít say enough good things about the management and staff. Is there a cost for the convenience? Of course, but theyíre more reliable than asking friends or relatives to do what they do. And itís a business like any other. Customer pays for service and convenience, company provides it, company pays employees. Why shouldnít there be some profit involved? Iím not familiar with anyone like SBI doing what they do as a nonprofit.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 07:57   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
We're a big fan of Traveling Mailboxes, http://www.https://travelingmailbox.com/. They scan the envelope of all our mail and notify us via e-mail. We can log in and look at the envelope(s), choose whether to have them opened and scanned, shredded or sent to us via a courier of our choice. !
Brendan's Isle does that too, has done for years!
Old 28-02-2020, 08:07   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I'm wondering if anyone would like to contribute to a list of banks that they've found willing to work with them on this, and I those which were not.
I got hassled by USAA and switched to Bank of America. No problems so far.
I do like the USAA interface better, but it just wasn't worth all the offensive & intrusive "We're gonna close your account if you don't comply" stress!
Old 28-02-2020, 08:23   #41

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
I got hassled by USAA and switched to Bank of America. No problems so far.
I do like the USAA interface better, but it just wasn't worth all the offensive & intrusive "We're gonna close your account if you don't comply" stress!
Weíve been with Bank of America for years. When we sold our house they wouldnít accept using our UPS Store address as our primary address. We used our yacht clubís address instead, with the UPS store as our mailing address. Itís worked out fine. Good thing given that we arenít club members any more!
Old 28-02-2020, 09:05   #42

Boat: CSY33
ďReal IDĒ

Interesting thread. What about the new national ID requirement? The so-called ďReal IDĒ ? My drivers license expires in october, when all new licenses must meet Federal requirements. R-ID also wants proof of a physical address as well as all the proof of identity and citizenship hoops I jumped through 15 years ago after the 9/11 tightening.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 09:17   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ďReal IDĒ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Interesting thread. What about the new national ID requirement? The so-called “Real ID” ? My drivers license expires in october, when all new licenses must meet Federal requirements. R-ID also wants proof of a physical address as well as all the proof of identity and citizenship hoops I jumped through 15 years ago after the 9/11 tightening.
In Fl I had no issue with that, in fact my “official” address on my Fl drivers license is my boats USCG reg #, and Green Cove Springs as the city
Old 28-02-2020, 09:56   #44

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í
Re: ďReal IDĒ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In Fl I had no issue with that, in fact my ďofficialĒ address on my Fl drivers license is my boats USCG reg #, and Green Cove Springs as the city
Interesting, does your Florida DL have the Real ID badge in the top right corner?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 10:06   #45

FWIW. I've used SBI continuously for the past two years and they're great for forwarding mail of all sorts and an occasional package to various locations. I seldom need to speak with a human; pick the shipment method from the drop down menu and I know what it costs beforehand. It's my decision how fast and secure I want the delivery. Can't imagine they would do anything but look out for their customer's interests in sending a package. I also have had USPS take forever (never) on mail I sent overseas so I don't question their logic.
lws57991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service