Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 13:51   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: St Brendan's Isl mail service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriage Boy View Post
We have considered "moving" to St. Brendans Isl a couple of times over the years but have had so many banking hassles due to our non traditional address since the 2010 "know your customer" law (CFR-2010-title31-vol1-sec103-121) that we're fearful of rocking the "change your address" boat.
That's news to me. I thought places like St. Brendans Isl gave you a physical address you could use (different from "just" a PO box.) Did I misunderstand?

We're going to have a "home" marina where we own a slip, even if we rent it for the season while we're away. I was thinking we could use that address in a pinch.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 14:53   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

When you use St Brendas aisle your address is

411 Walnut Street XXXXXXX
Green Cove Sorings

Where XXXXXXXX is their box or routing or identification number, it’s how they identify you from Joe Blow.

To the OP’s question, as we learned in Grenada no matter which level of USPS service you use the tracking number terminates once the mail is handed to the next country. We did receive mail addressed to our marina, but it was a bit of a harrowing experience which involved calling around a bit. No street names and numbers.

In another island we inquired about mailing a letter to the USA and were told, multiple times, it would be 6 weeks and up for delivery. That may have been a French island and the mail has to go to France? That was our surmise anyway.

Even in PR we had our mail sent via Fed Ex to assure we got it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 15:31   #18

"That's news to me. I thought places like St. Brendans Isl gave you a physical address you could use (different from "just" a PO box.) Did I misunderstand?"

I believe the government supplies a list of, or can quickly identify, addresses that are "non-traditional" to financial institutions. Somehow banks know that our mail forwarding company's street address followed by our unique identifier:
XXX Childers St.
#YYYY
Pensacola FL 32534

represents a mail collection and forwarding facility rather than an apartment complex with YYYY units.

I spent last December shopping for a bank or credit union to place a CD with and every single one that I talked with had an issue with the nature of our address within 24 hours of our application, sometimes much quicker.
Two years ago we tried to open an account in my wife's name at a credit union at which we already had had a joint account with for several years and she was refused due to our address.

Typically banks say our address is flagged to them as not being a physical family residence. Some banks have accepted a utility bill (our Sirius satellite bill) as "proof" of our residence as is. Some banks accept a next-of-kin address per the law in addition to our mailing address. Some banks outright refuse to do business with us, which is their right under the law.
The idea behind the "know your customer" law is to put the burden of vouching for the legitimacy of the banks customer base on the banks in an effort to fight money laundering and terrorism. I've never heard what the penalty to the bank would be for allowing "leakers", but it must be uncomfortable for them.

The law supposes having a sticks-and-bricks address is a good way to separate the good from the bad and allows, but does not require, banks to accept a next of kin address to cover that requirement. Some banks are willing to stick their neck out and work with non-traditional addresses, other banks apparently don't figure the risk/reward works out in their favor.
Carriage Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 16:28   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

I am another long-term (15 years) St. Brendan's Isle customer. They have sometimes recommended USPS and sometimes not. Their service has always been impeccable, and with your Florida address, you also get to VOTE.

I think it extremely unfair for someone to speculate on their business model or their financial condition with absolutely no knowledge. Idle minds are the devil's workshop, we used to say!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 19:44   #20

Hi! I have been lived in 3rd country and I agree about USPS outside probably not the best way.
Fernando2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 21:06   #21

Have you ever received mail in St Lucia that was shipped from the USA by standard postal service? You might get it in 2 weeks. Or two months. Or never.

Your wild speculation on SBI's financial status is irresponsible. Makes me wonder about YOUR financial status, being too cheap to ship what must be important mail by a trackable method.

When they ship us mail in the USA, unless we ask for something else, it comes by ordinary priority mail. Overseas, we take their recommendations, and we have only every asked them to spend MORE money than they initially suggested in special cases.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 23:18   #22

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I have to agree with the others about using UPS, FedEx, or other delivery service over the USPS. I mailed a letter in the U.S. a week ago Monday and it still hasn't arrived and it was only going 400 miles in the U.S.

This may explain many of their ongoing issues:
https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/messag...s-in-disarray/
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 01:49   #23

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
I have used them in the past - not cruising but when living in Colombia - I would think this is a dying business - how much mail do people get anymore - besides governmental mail - also with Amazon offering shipping to more and more countries - shipping goods through a mail forwarding service is going to be less.
I don't know about that. I receive mail on a regular basis. We're not cruising full-time now, but we're abroad, and I still use them. It's easier than changing our address all the time.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 01:50   #24

Boat: Leopard 40

I wouldn't assume that because you talked to a guy that he was the owner. We visited SBI one day, and it's a huge operation. You might very well have talked to someone new.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 05:13   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fernando2.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 06:16   #26

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

There is lots of need for a mail service these days especially as we approach tax time. There are also many official documents related to a boat as well as insurance papers. Not everything is on the web!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 06:16   #27

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriage Boy View Post
I believe the government supplies a list of, or can quickly identify, addresses that are "non-traditional" to financial institutions.
Thank you for explaining all that! This adds a new wrinkle for those of us just starting to look at liveaboard options.

I'm wondering if anyone would like to contribute to a list of banks that they've found willing to work with them on this, and I those which were not.

I can start a new thread if this is too far a stretch from the OP, but it's very much related so I figured I'd start by asking here.

No need to write a long post. In fact, it would be best to keep it short. Just post the bank name, what their response was and any tips on what to say or who to ask for.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 06:36   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thank you for explaining all that! This adds a new wrinkle for those of us just starting to look at liveaboard options.

I'm wondering if anyone would like to contribute to a list of banks that they've found willing to work with them on this, and I those which were not.

I can start a new thread if this is too far a stretch from the OP, but it's very much related so I figured I'd start by asking here.

No need to write a long post. In fact, it would be best to keep it short. Just post the bank name, what their response was and any tips on what to say or who to ask for.
Most US banks ate fine with a residence address and a separate mailing address. You can use a relative's address in your home state as your residence and St Brendan Isle as a mailing address.
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 08:01   #29

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

And as mentioned above this is the same challenge for full time rvers
Old 21-02-2020, 08:17   #30

Boat: Bruckmann 50

We found USAA didnít mind the SBI address but we were old customers so it might have been different if we were just getting an account.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service