Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 17:15   #16

Re: Sport Cruiser(up to 30feet) as small hotel room in Miami - how crazy is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I think you have a good idea, maybe tweek it a bit. Rather than docking in Miami area, go North a bit and dockage gets cheaper. There is a million sailboats in Florida, your assumptions are off a bit there also. Powerboat, sailboat, Florida is a boating paradise. Google marinas.com, cruisingguide.com, active captain.com, you will find reasonable dockage and the information to contact them.
bookmarked all websites, will add it to research. Thank you!
Agree, it's paradise! To join it, i need find many answers to get my best option and avoid as many mistakes as possible
Alex788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 17:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Alex, I'm in a rampage mode. Listen my European friend. The boat show">Miami boat show is coming up in February. Best boat show in USA. Just so close to you. So near in time. Don't do anything yet. Research. Go to the show and get a ride in the Corsairs and many types of boats. You might need to start making contacts soon so you can get rides. It is a zoo. Crazy busy. You will understand what these trimarans and monos can do with costs, sailing speeds, cost of slips, etc etc. then also educate yourself through yacht world.com and sailboatlistings.com what the used boat market is like. Then it just a matter of money and preferences.

Keep in mind also the Florida's best sailing are shallow water in the Keyes and estuaries. You will understand how draft of the boat plays a major role in limitations. Exciting time for u. Good luck. U live in sailor heaven. Fishing, lobstering, diving. Nirvana.
Thank you! I will visit it, carefully look around!
Today was surprised to see MarineMax opening branch in my closest mall, will speak with them after they open doors.
Old 03-12-2017, 17:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Welcome aboard CF Alex788. Yes, it might be able to be done. However, you should check on whether there are liveaboard restrictions at the marina you will leave the boat at. Also, if your real love is sailing, perhaps a small sailboat would work for you?

Ann
I'd love to have sailboat, but my wife doesn't like idea of long sailing(2+ days), and as we agreed on possibly family small power cruiser boat to have fun in sun day and calm waters "with cocktail" power cruisers are more weekend fun oriented -that is probably i will look at.
Old 03-12-2017, 17:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Can work easily. You just need to check marina rates, etc. to work out what you can afford. If you expect to be able to plan your trips with some lead time, a "high-and-dry" (boatel) storage situation could maybe work, maybe less expensive, boat better sheltered when you're not there...

Lots of boating opportunity in the Miami/FLL/Keys areas... so were it me, I'd consider it a boat, hotel room as secondary. Go lots of places...

Another option is to keep the boat in West Palm, and make your trips to Miami by boat... with local trips in between times.

-Chris
you right, i started to think more that way, buy and keep it here in WPB/Jupiter and travel down when i need it.
Old 03-12-2017, 17:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
You don't mention your budget for purchasing s boat. You can get a Corsair F 27 in a traikerable boat. Hardly a better boat made for the Keyes. You can use overnight type slips at the marinas and just pay the fees. When not using the boat it is sitting in your storage lots or parked in front of your house on the Bermuda grass costing nothing. Even a small pickup can handle hit. Honestly... check it out. Finish Line up in Stuart is where you should talk to the guys about the F27 or F-31 if you go bigger. You won't be disappointed.

Miami and Fort Lauderdale... unbelievable the amount of money they want for yacht storage, berthing, or even a mooring ball. That is why a traikerable boat makes so much sense. These trimarans are perfect for Floridian waters. Best of luck Alex.
Speaking about budget, i look at 60-120k range (it's all depends), i'd like to give few examples from boattrader . com

2013 Rinker 310 Express Cruiser $117,900
2009 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer $69,900
so that's more or less what i look at for now.

Thank you, i've never heard about Corsair brand, will take a look
Old 03-12-2017, 17:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita View Post
Hi Alex.
You don’t need a license to operate a boat, as long as you don’t use it commercially (personal use).
Marinas usually go 18 per feet per month, they’re some long waiting time to get a spot. For small boat you can find dry storage.
Miami is a totally different place than WPB, plenty of open water south of Rickenbacher bridge, lots of sailboats and anchorages , take a look at the charts ( download Navionics on your cell phone), 16 miles to Boca Chita key.
Miami Yacht Club have docks and moorings, required membership

Hope this helps
Walter
Thank you!
for my experience sailing requires many different skills to learn, of course power boats in calm waters are different story, but anyway i'm still surprised that you can sail with drivers license here )) Back in Europe as skipper you required to have paper work on board (crew list, route, license...)
Old 03-12-2017, 17:52   #22

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Dave, is that your style to insult? My daddy always said you can dispute another person's point of view without insulting them. Did you read him saying how much he enjoyed sailing in the Med? How he missed sailing to islands? So he likes sailing.

Did you not see that I was trying to pitch the point that a traikerable boat is just easier to maintain since it is not in briny water or rotting gun the sun. Instead it would be tarped. Also the boat if sitting at home incurs no slip fees.

Dave there is never a need to insult another person when they have a diffeeent point of view. Everyone of my points have merit and verifiable. If you want to argue comfort and load capacity of a mono versus trimaran then I will concede your point.

See how easy it is to debate without injury?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:53   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The cost of a transient slip in Miami is compatable to a hotel rate.
I'm not sure that is the case, we did 10 days down in that area around new years this year. we have a 26 foot cabin cruiser and were able to get transient slips at several marinas for between $60-$75/night. Now Miami Beach Marina was different, that was $160/night... still way cheaper than a hotel in Miami beach though, and that was over new years weekend. Crandon park Marina was our favorite, it was, i think, $68/night. I reccomend keeping your boat on a trailer where you live and going to biscayne bay for the weekend. you can launch at Haulover boat ramp and pay by the day for parking. worked great for us. if you want to stay in north miami beach, there is a nice marina there and it is also around $60/night for our boat.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, hotel, miami