Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 19:04   #46

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Re: Spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the spideys fly, guys--i find em in my rigging ..... complete with sticky webs...
...Oh, and you're right Zee, some use a long strand of spider silk to parasail basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballooning_(spider)
Old 27-06-2013, 19:07   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
I use a product called Spiderban. I don't use it frequently, & I'm confidant that as long as I don't inhale it or pour it directly in the water it's safe.

If transported far enough, it's possible some of these spiders could be an invasive species, & I think that's more serious than toxicity of pesticides. For example, many animals have recovered from the use of DDT... but I don't think there's been a truly successful campaign to eradicate an invasive species, such as Asian Carp.
I dont know about eradicating but some states are combating the carp by selling them back to where they came from,China I belive..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 19:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
nothing is safe anymore google gmo foods.
Yep, our government has voted that we SHALL NOT know if our food is modified.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 20:41   #49
Marine Service Provider

I have one portlight that can be removed above my port bunk in the main cabin and I sometime let the spiders alone and they build a web over the 4x6 frame and I watch them catch the mosquitos,It gives me a satisfaction thats hard to explain, after being eaten by them mosquitos all day long..So I would just kill the majorty and leave a few to act as a natural insect deterent..If thats to still to creepy,killem all..
Old 27-06-2013, 22:13   #50

spiders are cheap pest control. They eat all the critters that are REALLY a PITA. Geez.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 04:45   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

found a lovely bright green iguana vs gekko on board yesterday....i hope he eats bugs--lol....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 05:22   #52

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post

Frankly I would prefer if the world population were to decrease to about half of its current amount so that more sustainable farming could feed us!
Much of the crop production goes to feed farm animals raised for food. The environmental impact of raising farm animals is one of the major sources of pollution and greenhouse gasses. If more of the population were to shift toward a plant-based diet there would be many benefits. People who eat less meats and dairy live longer than meat-eaters, too.

Unfortunately for the world, things seem to be shifting the other way as westernization of developing nations tends to shift peoples from a simpler diet toward (higher-protein/higher-fat and super-rich) processed foods.

( Sorry for the thread drift. I couldn't stop my fingers.)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 05:24   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

worried about alleged greenhouse gasses then plant a tree or two...plants use your exhaled co2---get with the program, folks.. plant green stuff and then find a cow to eat it and you have dinner.

just gotta get the zoning laws changed again....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 06:21   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Much of the crop production goes to feed farm animals raised for food. The environmental impact of raising farm animals is one of the major sources of pollution and greenhouse gasses. If more of the population were to shift toward a plant-based diet there would be many benefits. People who eat less meats and dairy live longer than meat-eaters, too.

Unfortunately for the world, things seem to be shifting the other way as westernization of developing nations tends to shift peoples from a simpler diet toward (higher-protein/higher-fat and super-rich) processed foods.

( Sorry for the thread drift. I couldn't stop my fingers.)
I think that this to is changing,Coke now offers portion control versions and the resturant chains are following suit,Progress is slow ,but its happening..
Old 28-06-2013, 08:41   #55

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I agree you boat is attracting spiders for a reason, probable because there are other insect to eat, fly’s, antes, nats, bed bugs etc. They would not hanging around if there was nothing for them to eat.

Personal I like spiders on the boat as long as the stay out side. Once they come inside that is a different story, but I try to catch them and put the out side first. To reduce the flying bugs we have those sticky strips hanging around areas they ten to be, especially the galley, salon area and at least one in each room. Might want to bomb the entire boat, leave the boat close up for several days and start over which we have done several time in the last 15 years.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 09:58   #56

Boat: Catalina 30

SailFastTri:

Here is a very compelling rebuttal to your belief:

This is 22 minutes of a Ted Talk well worth your
time and understanding.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 08:35   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
SailFastTri:

Here is a very compelling rebuttal to your belief:

This is 22 minutes of a Ted Talk well worth your
time and understanding.
Well, not really. Savory's talk is very interesting and compelling, but there are some huge gaps in it, and it's also a fact that "modern" farming and cattle raising (for highest yield) does not do any of what he prescribes. Grazing animals are raised in pens, fed GMO grains and antibiotics/hormones, and the food they eat is farmed and harvested at great environmental cost using insecticides, heavy machinery and diesel fuel.

Some of the gaps? For one, he doesn't explain how they get the cattle to start subsisting on the arid lands before they have transformed into lush grassland he shows? That little detail is "sort of" important.
There are too many unknowns for any of us to really debate this, and although Savory's talk is compelling he has hardly made a case that the variables he focused on are the actual causes of change over ""10,000 years" (a number he repeated several times).

He also ignores the fact that chronic human disease such as cardio-pulmonary diseases (heart attack, stroke, etc.) osteoporosis, type-2 diabetes and some cancers are caused by high-protein and high saturated fat "western style" carnivorous diets, and are relatively rare among cultures who eat more whole-plants and less meat/dairy (epidemiological evidence well documented in the book: The China Study). People will argue both sides -- but the so-called "Paleo diet" has weak science to support it, and there is absolutely zero epidemiological evidence to believe a high-protein/high-fat diet is better for people than a predominantly plant-based whole-food diet. Savory's talk also skips the question crop production altogether. We don't need crops?

If crops went straight toward human consumption and not toward animal feed there would be more food for people, less methane production (a major greenhouse gas), and less fossil fuel required per-capita to farm food by "modern" methods. It is also noteworthy that the food-aid shown in Savory's presentation consists of bags of grain, not dead meat in refrigerated trucks.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:03   #58

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Put a few rats on board. They eat spiders.
Get some large cats for the rats. Oh, and some even larger dogs for the cats! Should solve problem!
Old 29-06-2013, 12:59   #59

Boat: Catalina 30

SFT:

Random Controlled Trials are a much higher level of
evidence than epidemiological studies and RCTs
have shown that eating high saturated fat and low
carbohydrate is much healthier than eating a high
carbohydrate (even plant based) diet.

The China Study which is exclusively epidemiological,
has been well debunked here: The China Study | Raw Food SOS

List of RCTs supporting Low Carb, High Fat diet is found here:
Randomized Controlled Trials in Nutrition

Monoculture of grains for human consumption causes
much more damage to land than grazing ungulates do.

Please make your responses somewhat shorter and
include links to your evidence if you would like to
continue this discussion. Thanks.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 20:19   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
SFT:

Random Controlled Trials are a much higher level of
evidence than epidemiological studies and RCTs
have shown that eating high saturated fat and low
carbohydrate is much healthier than eating a high
carbohydrate (even plant based) diet.

The China Study which is exclusively epidemiological,
has been well debunked here: The China Study | Raw Food SOS

List of RCTs supporting Low Carb, High Fat diet is found here:
Randomized Controlled Trials in Nutrition

Monoculture of grains for human consumption causes
much more damage to land than grazing ungulates do.

Please make your responses somewhat shorter and
include links to your evidence if you would like to
continue this discussion. Thanks.
Denise Minger is 26 year old author and blogger who might be a shill for the meat and dairy industry councils. Here is her "about" page About | Raw Food SOS. She has no scientific credentials of her own, and seems to be doing this professionally although her web site isn't advertising-sponsored and she hadn't written any books for sale until relatively recently (so where has her income come from?). She reads and writes prolifically, so IMHO she's just another Internet gas-bag spouting an opinion. I trust Denise Minger not at all.

(Yes I'm just another Internet gas-bag spouting an opinion too.)

As for your reference RCT's... Judging by titles I don't see any that would rebut T. Colin Campbell's or Dr. Esselstyn's work. I didn't read every one, so would you care to be specific about which RCT is relevant?