Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 11:28   #16

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Source of hot water while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
I have an instantaneous propane water heater...
Thanks, will file this one away as well!
Old 28-09-2018, 11:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
We have a small tank that can filled with hot water from the:

Electric kettle
Propane stove
Diesel drip heater (Reflex)
Sola bag

The water is mixed to the ideal temperature and from there it is fed to a normal electric pump and shower rose.

The water is always a perfect temperature without fiddling with the hot and cold mix. The tank is in the shower so the hose run is short, minimising the time to pump out the cold water in the pipe. We pump the first few litres back into the tank until the water is perfect. I hate cold showers. This minimises water usage. We can pick the best method of heating the water depending on the conditions, and multiple sources provides redundancy.

It is a great system and would not be difficult to retrofit to most boats.
Cool concept; definately like the idea!
Old 28-09-2018, 11:40   #18

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
We have a small tank that can filled with hot water from the:

Electric kettle
Propane stove
Diesel drip heater (Reflex)
Sola bag

The water is mixed to the ideal temperature and from there it is fed to a normal electric pump and shower rose.

The water is always a perfect temperature without fiddling with the hot and cold mix. The tank is in the shower so the hose run is short, minimising the time to pump out the cold water in the pipe. We pump the first few litres back into the tank until the water is perfect. I hate cold showers. This minimises water usage. We can pick the best method of heating the water depending on the conditions, and multiple sources provides redundancy.

It is a great system and would not be difficult to retrofit to most boats.
I'm pondering a very similar set-up. Would you happen to have any pictures/details on your system? Much appreciated, if you have the time.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Insulating the tank and lines makes a big difference. My hot water tank is surrounded by 2" Styrofoam in addition to whatever piddly insulation the tank comes with. The tank will stay hot for a couple days with light use. Tanks lose heat also thru uninsulated lines even with no water use.

Another option if like me you operate in usually cold climates you can have a diesel stove with a coil that also heats the tank. So if I start the stove first, I have hot water by breakfast. I also have a hot water return line so I can circulate and heat the plumbing without dumping a half gallon or more fresh water getting hot water to a sink or shower.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:06   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
I'm pondering a very similar set-up. Would you happen to have any pictures/details on your system? Much appreciated, if you have the time.
There is not much to see

The pump is a standard marine water pump. The only difference is it is dedicated to the shower only so the pick up is at the bottom of the hot water tank. The shower rose is standard. The hand rose has a push button and the pump is activated automatically to maintain the pressure.

The hot water tank is more like a sink so it is easy to fill and you can put your hand in to check the temperature, but I usually use a thermometer to check the water is 42°C. As I said, I am fussy .

This photo shows our shower (photo copyright Arthur Smeets). The shower seat is down in the photo and the hot water tank sits under this seat together with two large sinks/laundry tubs that are used for hand washing of clothes (although we also have a washing machine).

There are two handheld shower roses in the photo. One from the main water tank and one is from the hot water tank. The removable bar is for wringing laundry or hanging wet gear to dry. It can be used as a handhold or even as a crash bar to sit behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038C6E10-80BC-48DB-866D-6D99BDBACCDA.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	178143  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:07   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Wife and I use use solar showers when away... 3, 5 gallon bags on the cabin top.... hot water for showers. Modify the bag though....... it comes with a 2 foot hose. Go to Home Depot and by 8 foot or so sections. We keep bags on cabin top and run hose down through bathroom hatch and into shower. I have hoses long enough to reach floor of shower stall..... work great! We can easily take 2 showers per bag......

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:13   #22

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Slick set-up noelex.

Pretty much what I figured, but having the 'tank' be more of a basin is something I wouldn't have thought of. Great idea and multi-functional.

atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 12:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Insulating the tank and lines makes a big difference. My hot water tank is surrounded by 2" Styrofoam in addition to whatever piddly insulation the tank comes with. The tank will stay hot for a couple days with light use. Tanks lose heat also thru uninsulated lines even with no water use.

Another option if like me you operate in usually cold climates you can have a diesel stove with a coil that also heats the tank. So if I start the stove first, I have hot water by breakfast. I also have a hot water return line so I can circulate and heat the plumbing without dumping a half gallon or more fresh water getting hot water to a sink or shower.
Thanks Lepke!
Like the idea of the hot water return line... I’ll have to look into that. We definitely waste far too much water waiting for the hot water to get to the shower head and it’s only 10’ or so from the hot water heater to the shower!
Old 28-09-2018, 12:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Wife and I use use solar showers when away... 3, 5 gallon bags on the cabin top.... hot water for showers. Modify the bag though....... it comes with a 2 foot hose. Go to Home Depot and by 8 foot or so sections. We keep bags on cabin top and run hose down through bathroom hatch and into shower. I have hoses long enough to reach floor of shower stall..... work great! We can easily take 2 showers per bag......

Greg
Thank you Greg - great idea.
We used the solar shower on our last boat (Catalina 30) but never thought of swapping out those short hoses
Old 28-09-2018, 12:27   #25

Quote:
...The shower seat is down in the photo and the hot water tank sits under this seat together with two large sinks/laundry tubs that are used for hand washing of clothes (although we also have a washing machine)...
Very cool!
Glad atmartin asked and that you posted the photo.

We have a similar setup and that’s exactly where I was thinking of putting the tank. Unfortunately, that’s also where our two pumps reside (freshwater & shower sump) so while convenient, I’ll have to relocate them or alter the seating area... something to think about.
Old 28-09-2018, 17:00   #26
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
I have an instantaneous propane water heater. Search for one that doesn't need 110v for ignition. A single 'D' cell battery will last years. Two barbecue-size tanks last me four months - full time live aboard. The extra safety concerns are not an issue as i already have a propane stove plumbed in. The only downside is that it needs to vent overboard which I have achieved with a mushroom vent.
I never heard anyone considering that safe before.

Do you have a home run back to the outside tank for each appliance?

My understanding is a T join within the cabin space is dangerous.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 17:03   #27
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
As I said, I am fussy
A fact for which the whole community should be very grateful
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 17:11   #28

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Some really great ideas here, thanks all!

But back to the generator vs. mains thing. Put aside any debate about idling being "bad" for the engine. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but that's not the point.

The genset is smaller, and you're moving less iron around, so there's an efficiency angle. More importantly, just about all the energy it produces is turned into some kind of "work." A typical alternator, at idle, will take forever to charge up a decent-sized house bank. A genset and a good high-amp smart charger will do it much faster, which means shorter run time, which your anchorage neighbors will thank you for. It'll also heat up your water faster than an idling main. While it's running, you can use other 120V loads, from coffee maker to electric stove to hair dryer, whatever.

Finally, loading up the genset is supposed to be good for it.

When at anchor for more 24 hours, we run the genset maybe twice a day, 30 to 60 minutes each time, depending on battery SOC and what we want to do. It's not a perfect solution, it's not as environmentally friendly as solar, but it's already there and convenient.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 17:13   #29

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We're running the genset for it.Still can also run the heating element from the batteries when we have excess wind&solar power.
We are considering a solar thermal panel on the roof.
Way preferred would be a propane (we already use that for cooking) instantaneous water heater, but unfortunately they are not legal as new installation in the EU.
Pretty stupid they are very safe when installed properly and the most efficient way to have hot water if you only have outboard engines.
The US and Australia made them legal long ago I hear....

Btw. I hate outside showers, unless they are right after a swim.
Old 28-09-2018, 17:29   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
But once you’ve been sitting at anchor for a couple of days
What do you folks do?
I run the generator and/or run the engine. If you want hot water you want hot water, doesn’t matter if it’s “wasteful”

Tags
cruising, water