Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 21:45   #226

Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
On a serious note... someone keeps drinking my beer!

I looked in the fridge earlier and there was definitely less beer than there was the other day. This isn't the first time i've noticed it either!
In fact, a few moments ago a shadow passed by, and now this beer next to me is half empty!

It's eerie.

Do you have a dog? I have some friends who have a pug who drinks beer. A LOT of beer, according to them!
Old 12-02-2015, 23:22   #227

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"On a serious note... someone keeps drinking my beer!

I looked in the fridge earlier and there was definitely less beer than there was the other day. This isn't the first time i've noticed it either!
In fact, a few moments ago a shadow passed by, and now this beer next to me is half empty!

It's eerie."

Yeah. And I've noticed all our bottles have leaks at the tops! Space aliens, maybe?

A
Old 13-02-2015, 00:25   #228

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Do you have a dog? I have some friends who have a pug who drinks beer. A LOT of beer, according to them!
No pugs, but there's a Jack Russell / Small Dog cross that ran away from my rum earlier - perhaps she ran away to steal my beer!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-02-2015, 00:35   #229

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Google nicotine base for e-cigarettes. It comes in various strengths, in propylene glycol base. Get the strongest stuff you can get.
Mix it with Voltaren Emulgel.
I like 100mg/ml nicotine base, at a ratio of 10ml/10ml Emulgel. Coat the item in the stuff and keep the item cool and out of direct sunlight. If it's a mooring rope, place a large panel of polystyrene over it and drape a wet towel over that.
If someone messes with it, unless they smoke a hundred a day, they're gonna get pretty sick and may get a nasty rash on their hands but won't die.
The risk of accidental poisoning is very low, as the mix won't last long once exposed to sunlight or temperatures I've 10 degrees Celsius, so you could probably apply the solution at night and it'll be safe to handle again an hour after sunrise.

Peace.
Old 13-02-2015, 00:36   #230

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

PS- wear gloves...

Peace.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:12   #231
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

This thread just keeps on giving
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-02-2015, 01:33   #232
Marine Service Provider

I am laughing so hard, I might be crying.

Whats worse, is I'm hopping you are the story teller.

Not a plagiarist.

sobbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Here is my "real thought...

Typical of CF we have gone from a completely benign situation where a 2 minute conversation would suffice to setting poison traps and setting up machine guns on the boat.

No offence Sassy but you are way over thinking this thing - Just ask the person...

If the following example of overthink seems sexist blame Dave Barry...
Let's say a guy named Roger is attracted to a woman named Elaine. He asks her out to a movie; she accepts; they have a pretty good time. A few nights later he asks her out to dinner, and again they enjoy themselves. They continue to see each other regularly, and after a while neither one of them is seeing anybody else.

And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Elaine, and, without really thinking, she says it aloud: "Do you realize that, as of tonight, we've been seeing each other for exactly six months?"
Read full entry
And then there is silence in the car. To Elaine, it seems like a very loud silence. She thinks to herself: Geez, I wonder if it bothers him that I said that. Maybe he's been feeling confined by our relationship; maybe he thinks I'm trying to push him into some kind of obligation that he doesn't want, or isn't sure of.

And Roger is thinking: Gosh. Six months.

And Elaine is thinking: But, hey, I'm not so sure I want this kind of relationship, either. Sometimes I wish I had a little more space, so I'd have time to think about whether I really want us to keep going the way we are, moving steadily toward . . . I mean, where are we going? Are we just going to keep seeing each other at this level of intimacy? Are we heading toward marriage? Toward children? Toward a lifetime together? Am I ready for that level of commitment? Do I really even know this person?

And Roger is thinking: . . . so that means it was . . . let's see . . February when we started going out, which was right after I had the car at the dealer's, which means . . . lemme check the odometer . . . Whoa! I am way overdue for an oil change here.

And Elaine is thinking: He's upset. I can see it on his face. Maybe I'm reading this completely wrong. Maybe he wants more from our relationship, more intimacy, more commitment; maybe he has sensed -- even before I sensed it -- that I was feeling some reservations. Yes, I bet that's it. That's why he's so reluctant to say anything about his own feelings. He's afraid of being rejected.

And Roger is thinking: And I'm gonna have them look at the transmission again. I don't care what those morons say, it's still not shifting right. And they better not try to blame it on the cold weather this time. What cold weather? It's 87 degrees out, and this thing is shifting like a garbage truck, and I paid those incompetent thieves $600.

And Elaine is thinking: He's angry. And I don't blame him. I'd be angry, too. I feel so guilty, putting him through this, but I can't help the way I feel. I'm just not sure.

And Roger is thinking: They'll probably say it's only a 90- day warranty. That's exactly what they're gonna say, the scumballs.

And Elaine is thinking: maybe I'm just too idealistic, waiting for a knight to come riding up on his white horse, when I'm sitting right next to a perfectly good person, a person I enjoy being with, a person I truly do care about, a person who seems to truly care about me. A person who is in pain because of my self-centered, schoolgirl romantic fantasy.

And Roger is thinking: Warranty? They want a warranty? I'll give them a warranty. I'll take their warranty and stick it right up their ......

"Roger," Elaine says aloud.

"What?" says Roger, startled.

"Please don't torture yourself like this," she says, her eyes beginning to brim with tears. "Maybe I should never have . . Oh, I feel so......"

(She breaks down, sobbing.)

"What?" says Roger.

"I'm such a fool," Elaine sobs. "I mean, I know there's no knight. I really know that. It's silly. There's no knight, and there's no horse."

"There's no horse?" says Roger.

"You think I'm a fool, don't you?" Elaine says.

"No!" says Roger, glad to finally know the correct answer.

"It's just that . . . It's that I . . . I need some time," Elaine says.

(There is a 15-second pause while Roger, thinking as fast as he can, tries to come up with a safe response. Finally he comes up with one that he thinks might work.)

"Yes," he says.

(Elaine, deeply moved, touches his hand.)

"Oh, Roger, do you really feel that way?" she says.

"What way?" says Roger.

"That way about time," says Elaine.

"Oh," says Roger. "Yes."

(Elaine turns to face him and gazes deeply into his eyes, causing him to become very nervous about what she might say next, especially if it involves a horse. At last she speaks.)

"Thank you, Roger," she says.

"Thank you," says Roger.

Then he takes her home, and she lies on her bed, a conflicted, tortured soul, and weeps until dawn, whereas when Roger gets back to his place, he opens a bag of Doritos, turns on the TV, and immediately becomes deeply involved in a rerun of a tennis match between two Czechoslovakians he never heard of. A tiny voice in the far recesses of his mind tells him that something major was going on back there in the car, but he is pretty sure there is no way he would ever understand what, and so he figures it's better if he doesn't think about it.

The next day Elaine will call her closest friend, or perhaps two of them, and they will talk about this situation for six straight hours. In painstaking detail, they will analyze everything she said and everything he said, going over it time and time again, exploring every word, expression, and gesture for nuances of meaning, considering every possible ramification. They will continue to discuss this subject, off and on, for weeks, maybe months, never reaching any definite conclusions, but never getting bored with it, either.

Meanwhile, Roger, while playing racquetball one day with a mutual friend of his and Elaine's, will pause just before serving, frown, and say:

"Norm, did Elaine ever own a horse?"
Old 13-02-2015, 01:42   #233
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
My neighbor isn't alive, aboard, and is only here a couple of times a month.
now that is spooky.

a neighbor not alive, but still manages to visit, twice a month.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
Before you all think I'm paranoid, I'll easily be able to get proof of this. I've been on board the boat several times in the early afternoon when I see a persons shadow crossing the setting sun beaming through my portholes. A persons shadow could only appear if someone was walking down the dock between my boat and my neighbors boat. My neighbor isn't a live aboard and is only here a couple of times a month.

I noticed the shadow three times last week, and whoever it was they went to the end of the dock and were there for a minute, then walked off. I've noticed my stern getting further and further away from the dock, and yes, it's 2:20 am and I've finally put two and two together. Someone is loosening the stern dock line. Why? I have no idea. I'm friendly with everyone here, as far as I know I have no enemies, but obviously someone doesn't like me a'workin' away on my boat so much.

I could easily wait till the shadow crosses the sun and step outside and take a photo. But my question is, is loosening someone's dock line illegal? I feel like this is silly marina drama to even mention to the harbormaster.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:51   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
now that is spooky.

Lloyd
I'm sure she meant her neighbor isn't a liveaboard, which isn't really a word. The correct wording is "he isn't a live aboard," as she posted.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:58   #235

Given that Sassy has her boat details published here, I suspect that the docklines are being adjusted by a fellow forum member who happened to notice her boat in the same marina and felt like winding her up
Old 13-02-2015, 02:24   #236

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design

Best thread ever!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-02-2015, 03:59   #237
CLOD

Boat: none

like a train wreck with fireworks and dancing girls, you just have to look
Old 13-02-2015, 04:54   #238

Boat: Catalina 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
Here you go Sassy! Just hang this sign from your transom. It should get your message across without needing to confront anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-02-2015, 04:59   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
now that is spooky.

Lloyd

Oh man.................it hurts!!!!!!

Old 13-02-2015, 05:31   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
No need for a gun. Get a cup of gas in one hand and a lighter in the other. If he gets nasty being soaked in gas while you have a lighter he will be nice and compliant. Begging even

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

What if you dont have any gas?

Closed Thread

Tags
dock